Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
I would send Elon a tweet and see if he will. He has been like Santa lately saying yes to everything
Ask for Full Size Spare tire compartment too....
Sponsored

Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
Ask for Full Size Spare tire compartment too....
If they keep the current design (with the underbed storage cubby compartment) then it doesn't look like a full spare tire compartment is in the plans. I just came across this image today, hadn't seen it before.

Tesla Cybertruck Full size spare tire Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-In-Bed-Trunk-Cubby-Hole-Storage

OP
OP
hridge2020

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Country flag
If they keep the current design (with the underbed storage cubby compartment) then it doesn't look like a full spare tire compartment is in the plans. I just came across this image today, hadn't seen it before.

Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-In-Bed-Trunk-Cubby-Hole-Storage.jpg

Understood.. but brainstorm (lol) not really.. Here's an idea to have Full Spare and Storage.. see image..
Tesla Cybertruck Full size spare tire Full spare location

Then it would be nice to have dual function tailgate..

Tesla Cybertruck Full size spare tire dual-action-tailgate

Last edited:

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I like the idea until I have a flat with a load in the bed. It is frustrating in my SUV to get the stuff out of the back to get the spare out, would be worse with a full load in the vault. Having said that this is the best option I have seen so far as I will not be loading the vault up with heavy stuff and leaving it there all the time. The storage space will have all my fire resistant clothing and other work gear in it. I will use the frunk for storing the small things that normally get thrown in the bed of a truck to run across town like sports gear or groceries. The bed will be loaded with camping gear, wood or other short term storage needs.

ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
It's too bad the skateboard chassis eliminates the undercarriage as a mounting place for a full size spare. I've always thought that was an efficient place to put the spare on a pickup.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I don't see the skateboard as completely eliminating space for a spare underneath. Have you seen CYBRTRK next to a Model 3? There's lots of room for batteries, and still plenty leftover for a spare.
I did see something about it's completely smooth underneath for "laminar air flow"- not to mention ground clearance- but that could mean you simply unhook a panel and the spare is clean and dry in it's own compartment.
Pretty sure most if not all states do not require a spare. At least two manufacturers today simply toss in a can of Fix-A-Flat on their lowest price cars.

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST, Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
It's too bad the skateboard chassis eliminates the undercarriage as a mounting place for a full size spare. I've always thought that was an efficient place to put the spare on a pickup.
I’m so glad it won’t be on the undercarriage!!!! As someone who lives in the Rustbelt, that setup sucks. The cheap little cable rusts into place in nothing flat. I’ve been burned twice already with flat tires and unable to free up the spare.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Pickup trucks today are very front-heavy, with engine and passengers towards the front., Rear-Wheel-Drive pickups quickly get squirrely in slippery conditions unless the bed is loaded. I looked around and did not see a lot of discussion about exactly why this is. I suppose it's to leave more capacity for loading the bed, but could just as easily be that it's simply a poor design decision that has persevered for decades.

Do you suppose Tesla will keep the status quo on the front-to-back weight distribution?
I figure if there is a good reason that pickups are front-heavy, they will stay with that, and batteries will be placed mostly towards the front, leaving space for an undercarriage compartment holding a spare tire.
If Tesla goes for something resembling a 50-50 front to back weight distribution, the spare can't be there.

Cybertrucks will be delivered in RWD configuration.
How much longer will the cybertruck's battery pack be, compared to a model S?

Jon Snow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS85D
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I see little value in a spare since tires are so good nowadays. I drive a lot .. 2X the national average ... and I’ve had just 2 tire issues in the past 30 years. I’m fine without.

OP
OP
hridge2020

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Country flag
When towing a trailer, we recommend that you carry a full-size spare wheel and tire for both your vehicle and trailer. If you use the compact spare tire that came with your vehicle, it could adversely affect vehicle handling.

If you take a lot of road trips, routinely drive in places with long distances between service stations, or travel a lot on rougher roads, you need a spare tire. Getting a flat in rural areas means you could be a hundred miles or more to the nearest repair shop. If it’s after business hours, you could be looking at being marooned for hours, paying for a hotel for a night (or more if it’s a weekend), leaving a vehicle loaded with gear or belongings on the side of the road, and paying a hefty towing fee over a long stretch of highway.

Get a spare tire if you travel with small kids, especially if you're taking occasional road trips. Getting stranded with a flat and no spare can mean several hours of waiting for a tow, even in an urban area. This is sure to be stressful for parents and possibly unsafe for tots, especially if it’s a really hot or frigid day.

If you have medical needs that need daily attention, better have a spare.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Those of you who own Teslas know that they do not come with spares as is the case with many modern cars. I'm pretty much in sympathy with #13. If I go on a long road trip or venture out into the country side I carry a spare. Around town I do not.
Sponsored