Full size spare tire

Deleted member 5322

After getting a blowout front pass. tire on one of my cars on the freeway at 75/mph I bought spares for all my vehicles. The tire exploded, the rim was completely damaged, ... it was around 65 miles away from the nearest city/village. have no idea if there is a tireshop or towing service. No way I will drive this beast without a spare. I do not care about aerodynamics or decreasing a range. What I do care about my safety and how fast I can get back to a trail after a blowout/flat.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Yep from this image, Spare sounds not provided,
and start figuring where/how to mount, or brace your spare tire.
(see below)

spare in back.png
Tesla Cybertruck Full size spare tire 76122BB5-F396-4D08-8DFC-8652A2110A10

@Diehard donut tire is city-perfect.

I‘ve used Aussie Beadlocks. An inflated bladder that pinches the bead against the rim. It prevents a tire from coming off the rim driving out of puckerbrush even flat. They keep unsprung weight low without 4 hefty beadlock wheel’s weight or price. You air down as low as 8 psi. rock crawling. Spare-less is manageable unless you are heavy. Cybertruck provides onboard air. You haul fullsize spares towing or rough country deep.

Flats I’ve experienced mostly thorny puckerbrush piercings, 140 degree NM asphalt blowout and city-nails from tradesmen pickups. TPMS protects tire blowouts. TPMS is on Cybertruck. Tesla should provide TPMS you can buy for trailer tires, spares and others like the Aussie beadlocks.

Cybertruck with onboard air begs a flat repair in-a-can. Cybertruck’s only spare required circumstances are heavy, towing or life-threatening situations sub-zero, desert heat, rough country, remote and emergency - medical disaster or otherwise foolish. Then full-size is a good thing and absolute necessity.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Be nice if there is room in the frunk.
That would be great if the frunk is big enough to fit a full size spare. If you look at other EV's on the market, the only one that seems big enough for a full size spare is the F150 Lightning. It's unlikely that the Cybertruck will have that sort of space without a similar trunk style frunk that Ford went with.

I wouldn't actually be too interested in using the frunk for a spare but if it's big enough for one, it's big enough for so many other things and then it just needs a drainhole like in the mach e so I can use it as a beer cooler for beach/lake parties with friends.

I know that a full size spare is a desired option but It's difficult to see it on there from my perspective. It seems that Ford is doing it under the bed on the lightning but the Cybertruck's back wheels are closer to the tailgate so there might not be enough room. The Cybetruck also has the underbed storage compartments that without expanding them, aren't big enough for a spare. From the Cybertruck's exoskeleton picture, i would imagine that the space that isn't used as storage is left for the motors and batteries.

I've mentioned this in other threads but it's quite possible that the only option for a full size spare will be in the truck bed, but with after market products and use of the Tslots and Ltracks, it could be fixed in place easily in any position.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If the spare will be full diameter and a wee bit skinnier, storing a spare in the side sail storage may be an option. Easier access with a load and leaves the frunk free for easy access.

(keep your thoughts clean)

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
If the spare will be full diameter and a wee bit skinnier, storing a spare in the side sail storage may be an option. Easier access with a load and leaves the frunk free for easy access.

(keep your thoughts clean)
if the sail storage is as deep and as wide as possible, the biggest spare you could fit in there would still look like your driving on a bicycle wheel. I wouldn't trust driving on something like that for anything more than a very short distance. At that point I would prefer getting towed.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
if the sail storage is as deep and as wide as possible, the biggest spare you could fit in there would still look like your driving on a bicycle wheel. I wouldn't trust driving on something like that for anything more than a very short distance. At that point I would prefer getting towed.
The sample photo posted near beginning of this thread show a bicycle tire spare in the bed storage.

Acceptable, IMO, to mitigate risk on finished roads. I would not be confident off grid.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The sample photo posted near beginning of this thread show a bicycle tire spare in the bed storage.

Acceptable, IMO, to mitigate risk on finished roads. I would not be confident off grid.
I looked at the first page and i see the spare you are talking about. The space that the spare occupies is where I was saying I believe the motors and/or battiers will be using.

Also while a donut spare can be okay to drive slowly to get you to a repair shop where you can get a new tire, it can be a risk. The Cybertruck is much heavier than the honda ridgeline, if you are towing something or have a full bed, it might exceed what the spare was meant for.

The Cybertruck will also have onboard air compressor with the ability to fill up your own tires. if it's a simple flat, you wouldn't need anything more than a tire repair kit.

I would personally want a full size spare or I would just take the extra storage. If i'm in the city and I get a flat that I can't repair, it wouldn't take long to get a tow and with CAA (Canadian version of AAA), i get 200-320km towing even if i'm outside the city. A full size spare is Convienent but if there is no designated spot for it on the Cybertruck, i'd be happy just keeping one at home and getting towed when i need it. I could strap it into the bed for going offroading or really long road trips.

crimsonaudio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Land Cruiser, awaiting a CYBRTRK
Country flag
I would personally want a full size spare or I would just take the extra storage. If i'm in the city and I get a flat that I can't repair, it wouldn't take long to get a tow and with CAA (Canadian version of AAA), i get 200-320km towing even if i'm outside the city. A full size spare is Convienent but if there is no designated spot for it on the Cybertruck, i'd be happy just keeping one at home and getting towed when i need it. I could strap it into the bed for going offroading or really long road trips.
Good point - especially considering I've not had a flat in over a decade, and that includes quite a bit of off-roading.
Sponsored