John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Having a spare is managing risk. Regardless of what is being driven on, my use will be if services are close, will not carry a spare. If services are far away, I will carry a spare.
I will buy a spare and store in the garage to keep weight down during daily commute. I will always carry a plug kit.
Btw, when you see a CT driving CA 405 with downgraded commuting tires, that will be me.
Sponsored

parapyropig

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 FJ Cruiser NSSE, Cybertruck trimotor
Occupation
parapyropig
Country flag
(As a side question, how fast are you going off road that you worry about aerodynamics?)
Not speed; distance. If things don’t change dramatically in the next few years, it’s probable I will be frequently commuting between Florida and Colorado.

parapyropig

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 FJ Cruiser NSSE, Cybertruck trimotor
Occupation
parapyropig
Country flag
Combined with a trailer hitch that doesn’t mess with the departure angle, that could work. It would have to be pretty stout to avoid wobble and metal fatigue.

Probably be a better idea to have a aftermarket rear bumper with a swing-out mount.

The other obvious issue with either would then be the tire blocking the rear view camera and a good part of the brake light strip.

After much thought, I’m guessing that a either a flat or angled mount in the bed might be the best option.

Tesla Cybertruck Full size spare tire 056A78CC-B707-4251-A691-C8B687E54273

To carry a full size spare in my expedition trailer, I essentially built a plywood box around it, so that items could be stacked on top of it as well as use the corners of the box not occupied by the tire for additional storage.

Looking front-to-rear:
Tesla Cybertruck Full size spare tire F63738F8-4C57-4BCB-9435-474CE52C6876

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I have been thinking of an angled spare tire holder that follows the angle of the bed cover. It could hold the tire up off the bed floor so I could still put material under it. Something like these.

Tesla Cybertruck Full size spare tire DE7C69C6-B215-40CB-A451-1897B3D8EDDA

Tesla Cybertruck Full size spare tire FC205E64-F820-4D28-9EA1-AF8D15C26B05

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
The rubber will be around 65 lbs and then the weight of what ever rim you choose.

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
Ben driving Tesla's since 2014. model S. Model X 2016, Model X 2018. and Model 3 2019. I Had a flat tire in the 2016. It has run flat tires. drove it about 3/4 miles without damage to the rim. Wife had a flat in the 2018 X. She called me and asked what to do. I said get on line and find a tire dealer and if it close drive to it... There was a dealer very close by. No Damage.

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Spent many years of my life near Show Low, AZ. Beautiful country.

Buying a truck without a spare will be new to me. I like the idea some other posters mentioned - keep a spare in the garage, throw it in the vault as needed.

Another idea could be run-flats, like Mule Ferguson referred to. Combined with the "bulletproof" structure and reinforced windows, that's one hell of a rugged marketing pitch.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I guess I just assumed they were gonna use the air suspension cylinders similar to model X and not an airbag but maybe you are right they have to use airbag for heavier load carry.
Not airbags. Elon said "active suspension" which I take to mean more than simple airbags.

OP
OP
hridge2020

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist