Get a tri-motor or wait another year?

If faced with the choice to upgrade to tri-motor or wait a year to get what you ordered, I:

• Total voters

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
20k is like, what I've spent on the cars I bought new (well, 30k with financing). So 'another' 20k is really a big ask.

-Crissa
wow.....what interest rate and terms did you have on that loan to have 10k interest on a 20k loan...especially on a new car
Sponsored

Last edited:

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
I ordered the trI motor, so not going to wait.

With the Tesla stock I purchased in 2017, it’s like Tesla is buying it for me. Although I don’t really plan on selling the Tesla stock anytime soon.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
wow.....what interest rate and terms did you have on that loan to have 10k interest on a 20k loan...especially on a new car
They were not good. We were paying high credit-card like interest. But we needed a car at the time. Spouse had scored a NASA-contractor job at Stanford and that was a two-hour one-way commute when she started.

-Crissa

Last edited:

xtreembob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I ordered the tri-motor for the range and I didn’t want to wait too long for a dual motor. Based on all the orders I’m imagining Tesla delivering the tri’s first before the duals? If so, would love to know how to figure out how many tri orders are in front of mine so I can calculate timing of my delivery based on Tesla’s production numbers as they begin?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I ordered the tri-motor for the range and I didn’t want to wait too long for a dual motor. Based on all the orders I’m imagining Tesla delivering the tri’s first before the duals?
I'm not so sure about that. Elon has alluded to battery supply limitations. He wants to get the Semi and Roadster rolling and has hinted that battery supply may be holding them back. The TriMotor is going to require substantially more battery than the AWD. I expect their main goal is to get some CT on the road ASAP and if those have to be AWD then they will produce those before TriMotor.

Telsa isn't alone in this. Rivian will be pushing out their 300 mile truck before their 400 mile one even though there is evidence that 2/3 of their buyers want the longer range version. No one outside of Rivian knows why they made this decision but many suspect battery supply, Buy a lithium mine!

Last edited:

xtreembob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not so sure about that. Elon has eluded to battery supply limitations. He wants to get the Semi and Roadster rolling and has hinted that battery supply may be holding them back. The TriMotor is going to require substantially more battery than the AWD. I expect their main goal is to get some CT on the road ASAP and if those have to be AWD then they will produce those before TriMotor.

Telsa isn't alone in this. Rivian will be pushing out their 300 mile truck before their 400 mile one even though there is evidence that 2/3 of their buyers want the longer range version. No one outside of Rivian knows why they made this decision but many suspect battery supply, Buy a lithium mine!
I understand but he has stated on the Q4 report call that the Semi is on hold due to battery restraints and will produce the CyberTruck before the Semi. He also stated that there should be limited production of the CyberTruck by the end of this year. With whatever production is taking place I’m assuming (maybe not correctly) that they will produce the higher end truck ($$) before the lesser models.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I understand but he has stated on the Q4 report call that the Semi is on hold due to battery restraints and will produce the CyberTruck before the Semi.
Putting that together with

He also stated that there should be limited production of the CyberTruck by the end of this year.
does it not seem likely that of two models the one that uses more batteries will go on the back burner?

With whatever production is taking place I’m assuming (maybe not correctly) that they will produce the higher end truck ($$) before the lesser models.
This is what newer companies, including Tesla, do in order to get cash for expansion and it is what Tesla did with the first Roadster. But Tesla is no longer a new company. It has plenty of cash and the means to raise more in a flash so that motivation doesn't seem to apply. The fact that Rivian, a new company, has not taken this usual approach does seem strange.

BTW, I hope you are right.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They were not good. We were paying high credit-card like interest. But we needed a car at the time. Spouse had scored a NASA-contractor job at Stanford and that was a two-hour commute when she started.

-Crissa
yea, when I was a lot younger and just starting out in the Marine Corps, there were times where we needed to do that too....I really was hard but things worked out for us and we try to pay cash except for emergencies and spur of the moment purchases...

jd1

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck ordered
Country flag
Wait a year means wait 2-3. As is ey are back ordered 2 years or something? Of course many could cancel but many will prob be buying to sell online for profit as well. I'm not a gambler.. ha. My build number tells me I am under 2190 so.. I'm going for it,

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
yea, when I was a lot younger and just starting out ...
Yeah, it was our first new car.

Our second car, our Mazda 3 with all the bells and whistles, coat the same with financing as that first bare-bones Sentra did a decade earlier.

And just recently she bought a Ducati: 0 down, 0 interest for the life of the loan. Free money.

-Crissa

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Let's say Tesla contacts you, and says it's time to configure your Cybertruck at last. Assuming you ordered a single or dual motor, but they tell you you can upgrade to a tri motor and get it now, or wait another year to get the dual or single motor. What d'ya do?
Being about #300,000 in line, I don't think I will see one in my driveway until late 2023. And I ordered the Tri-Motor.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, it was our first new car.

Our second car, our Mazda 3 with all the bells and whistles, coat the same with financing as that first bare-bones Sentra did a decade earlier.

And just recently she bought a Ducati: 0 down, 0 interest for the life of the loan. Free money.

-Crissa
thats great....I have a BMW R1200gs liquid cooled........love those bikes