cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
No doubt you still will get some debris. I said “are we likely to see less…” My point was, POSSIBLY less.
Definitely less than a bus!

But yeah, should be less bug type road debris than ana traditional truck windshield

Conversely, should be MORE ‘settling’ type debris (eg tree pollen) from when the CT is sitting, facing up to the sky
Sponsored

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
Then stop.

Clean your windshield, mirrors, and cameras.

Or don't drive.

Don't drive unsafe.

-Crissa
It's not particularly unsafe to drive with fogged up or dirty cameras, which was the point. The mirrors and windscreen are fine enough.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's not particularly unsafe to drive with fogged up or dirty cameras, which was the point. The mirrors and windscreen are fine enough.
Either they're fogged up and don't work or they're not and it's not a problem to be using cameras.

-Crissa

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
Either they're fogged up and don't work or they're not and it's not a problem to be using cameras.

-Crissa
OK let me try again to spell this out:
The cameras easily get fogged up, iced, snowed up, dirty and wet in Finnish weather. That could easily happen even more for a vehicle like the Cybertruck, due to conditions it would be driven in. I don't stop to clean them as my windscreen and mirrors are still fine for use. It is thus not a major safety issue. If I didn't have real mirrors but relied purely on cameras, it would very much be a safety issue. So the point that was made about cameras being problematic compared to mirrors for this (and other reasons) is valid.

Clear?

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
As I sit here and think about cameras, ice, dirt, cats, whatever you might run into, I’m not sure the CT cameras will be as susceptible to road grime as most current cameras.

On the back, it appears (from the Austin photos) that the camera is in the middle at the top of the tailgate (Or whatever it gets called like Loading Ramp, or BALR for short) I don’t see that as susceptible as the one right above a license plate. The side views are near the top of the wheel wells in th trim section. Looks like it might be above the wheel, with minimal exposure to water and dirt coming off the tires. We might be pleasantly surprised by how infrequent these need to be cleaned.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK let me try again to spell this out:
The cameras easily get fogged up, iced, snowed up, dirty and wet ...
So can mirrors.

Don't drive if it's not safe to do so. If you're one of those idiots who doesn't clean their mirrors or windows, I don't know what to tell you, but stop and clean them.

-Crissa

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
ya know.. it just occurred to me while driving....
Normal wipers park against the bottom of the glass.. so the first sweep up.. clears debris out away from the car <and prolly onto the windshield of the guy behind you but not my problem> with the giga-wiper parking up by the driver at the side of the windshield.. is it going to drive that same debris down towards the hood.. and if so is it going to get annoying having to clean that crud out of there?

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
Most likely it will be blown back up on to the windshield while the wiper goes back to the up position, rinse recycle and repeat....
For this reason alone, a horizontal park is a better solution.

Last edited:

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
So can mirrors.

Don't drive if it's not safe to do so. If you're one of those idiots who doesn't clean their mirrors or windows, I don't know what to tell you, but stop and clean them.

-Crissa
Mirrors have a much larger area and do not get anywhere near as unusable in similar conditions. Not to mention windows. But don’t take my word for it, drive a car anywhere where you get actual weather.

I honestly think this is getting a touch silly. Anyone who has ever driven a Model 3 (and probably any other car with cameras and mirrors) in rough weather and conditions will recognise this. The camera lenses get much more easily unusable than the windows and mirrors.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ya know.. it just occurred to me while driving....
Normal wipers park against the bottom of the glass.. so the first sweep up.. clears debris out away from the car <and prolly onto the windshield of the guy behind you but not my problem> with the giga-wiper parking up by the driver at the side of the windshield.. is it going to drive that same debris down towards the hood.. and if so is it going to get annoying having to clean that crud out of there?
...and crud gets caught on them because they catch what falls onto or flies by, then smears that on the windshield.

There is no pocket for crud to collect in on the Cybertruck, no low pressure airspace for it to sit in on the hood. And the wipers in the up position will not let snow pile upon them or crud collect upon them.

-Crissa

Last edited:

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
The scenario I am concerned about is at start up. Sitting with the wiper in the vertical position the windshield will have snow or leaves or other debris. The first pass of the wiper forces all of that down to the bottom of the windshield. As you start driving the airstream will force that back upwards and on to the windshield. The wiper again pushes in down to have it repeatedly tossed back on to the windshield.
If you take your first drive as a launch, then it will blow the debris off pretty fast but if you are just driving at residential speeds (15-20 mph) not much of that will be cast off.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Come to think of it, I have had a reverse camera as long as I can remember.

Never, ever have I ever thought of , or needed to clean it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The scenario I am concerned about is at start up. Sitting with the wiper in the vertical position the windshield will have snow or leaves or other debris. The first pass of the wiper forces all of that down to the bottom of the windshield. As you start driving the airstream will force that back upwards and on to the windshield. The wiper again pushes in down to have it repeatedly tossed back on to the windshield.
This is an absurd situation. And no more unlikely with the wipers in the horizontal position - because if you have leaves on your windshield, you have them on your hood, too.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Come to think of it, I have had a reverse camera as long as I can remember.

Never, ever have I ever thought of , or needed to clean it.
Now that Tesla cameras are replacing ultrasonics sensors it might be more important to keep cameras cleaner since they will now be relied on to measure distances more accurately than cameras were relied on before.
Sponsored