GM’s Super Bowl commercial, where’s Tesla’s?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yes, I was referring from the legacy perspective.

Nevertheless, can't become complacent. In 10 years when the technology advantage is much smaller, and Tesla the company has diverged into the bigger things, the car division could become mainstream. Advertising could be the norm.
Sponsored

OP
OP

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
My pitch on a Tesla Super Bowl commercial.

Intro

Consultant speaking to Elon and a group from Tesla in a conference room. “All US auto makers have Super Bowl commercials. We can collaborate with your team to showcase Tesla”

Elon, “Tesla’s team?”

Consultant, “Yes, we could set up…” trails off to elaborate plan

Elon whispers to the side, “ we can lean out this meeting in considering their time”

Person A leaves, cut over to battery tech

Person B leaves, Giga casting and Robotics clip

Person C leaves, performance test drive on track

Person D leaves, shows production line and cast of assembly techs.

background dialogue with consultant ever fainter while manufacturer noises are center stage.

Abrupt transition back to conference room with pitch completed. Thoughtful expression on Elon‘s face considering…”We are going to focus on what we do best at this time.”

Rapid succession of the different phases of production
Queue plaid S launch with the Person A and C hooting in excitement as they launch.

The concept is an expensive anti-commercial. Rough concept and my tastes are biased. We all know Tesla does not need to advertise at this time.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
yes…love it.

My ad :

Elon leans over to the Robot and says : You reckon we need to advertise ?

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
For those dumb enough to pay for advertising - all that money and where does it go? Not one cent of it goes into the quality or substance of the car. In fact, media advertising reduces the car's substance and quality because the money spent on adverts has been taken from more important expenditures like better quality materials, innovation, or healthier margins.

GM spent about 2.7 billion on ads in 2021 (https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/0...ting-budget-returning-to-pre-pandemic-levels/). That's $2.7 Billion with a 'B' - and more than 2½ times what it's taken to build Giga Texas so far.

So whenever you purchase a GM product, you are not just buying a car, but are also subsidizing a whole communist style sub-economy of media players and dealership associations who definitely are expecting to be taking their cut of Your money, that was never spent on any part of your car, and will never be spent on any parts of their future cars either.

Most people on the internet already know 'about' Tesla generally, with many of them just wanting to find out more details to solidify their future Tesla purchase decisions or to stay informed.

'Untapped Market' is a very subjective term, but it makes no difference if 'tapped market' demand is already beyond any other vehicle. Once the current demand is met, there will be even more Teslas on the road - which in turn will create even more demand and make the current 'untapped market' into the next 'tapped market'.

Traditional wasteful counterproductive media advertising will never be needed for Tesla.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
So… does this make you want to buy a Silverado?
Logical side of my brain says no.

Emotional nostalgic side of brain says yes.

Then the emotional brain starts singing the song and the logic side screams "Shut up!" My alarm clock goes off, they both go silent, then emotional brain starts up again "Woke up this morning..."

Sorry...

No, I will not be buying one. Can't wait to see one though.

Raebrek

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag

Entertaining, light on substance. Nostalgia.
When I heard that Dr.Evil was going to be used by GM I had only one thought. Do they want to associate their EV’s with Evil? Do they want to associate their EV’s with the character that loses in all of the movies? Wel, actually my real first thought was, hey, a new Austin Powers movie But I was mistaken.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Logical side of my brain says no.

Emotional nostalgic side of brain says yes.

Then the emotional brain starts singing the song and the logic side screams "Shut up!" My alarm clock goes off, they both go silent, then emotional brain starts up again "Woke up this morning..."

Sorry...

No, I will not be buying one. Can't wait to see one though.
So it was effective.

That’s the insidious thing about advertising. Brains are weird.

Doesn’t mean you will buy it. But it carved out a little space in your head for their brand whenever you think of that show or hear that song.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
The SB ads were indicative of a new marketing opportunity for marketing driven industries like automobiles. Tesla is the auto industries much needed disruptor and they are redefining the transportation landscape.

More EV options is a good thing but as was noted in this excellent presentation, It's the Superchargers Stupid ....

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
So… does this make you want to buy a Silverado?
No Sir but it makes me want to binge watch The Sopranos. That show was all the rage in my 20’s, brings back memories.

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
At Christmas time, the last 4 or more years, GM has had endless commercials every single commercial break about surprising your significant other with not 1, but 2 new GM trucks, then she picks the one the guy intended for himself.

So cute, so lame. Repeated 200 times per day. How much return do they get on the ad after 10,000 runs? -$135,000,000. Just guessing. Could be triple.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
How GM Sold America and became China Motors. Thanks for the Bailout, though (Part 1)

Now it is easy to advertise:

Buy American - Buy Cybertruck
Sponsored