Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
...I just can't do it. I want my CT now, but can't pull the trigger at $100,000. I mean, $80,000 is a stretch, but I'll do it since they ain't gonna sell me one for the original $50,000 sticker price. Sheez. Any advice? Should I walk in to the showroom and see if they can make it happen, or do I just wait till I get contacted months down the road to configure my regular Dual Motor?
Sponsored

thedownwardmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 MSP, stalks ftw
Country flag
If you can’t because you can’t afford it then obviously you must wait.

But if you can’t because you can’t bring yourself to pay that much, but maybe you can if you stretch, well I’d advise driving one to see if it scratches that itch for you. If it does, then ask yourself if it’s worth waiting a year or two to have that itch go unscratched to save $20k.

Ofc there’s always the small but non zero possibility they will have to stop making them, then they will spike in value and become unobtainable.

dorylee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck FS AWD, LR Defender 90
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
truth is they will probably be making FS for a while … I remember in their last conference call Tesla said they're almost sold out for 2024.. and so far all orders have been FS.

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag
truth is they will probably be making FS for a while … I remember in their last conference call Tesla said they're almost sold out for 2024.. and so far all orders have been FS.
If they sell the "Limited" Foundation Series in to the 2025 Model Year, I'm raising the BS Flag on it being "limited". Limited to two model years is still limited, I guess though....just like air is limited. Everything is Limited by how much there is. In fact, I have a "Limited Edition Model Y", because Tesla has not yet reached their limit on how many they are making.

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
...I just can't do it. I want my CT now, but can't pull the trigger at $100,000. I mean, $80,000 is a stretch, but I'll do it since they ain't gonna sell me one for the original $50,000 sticker price. Sheez. Any advice? Should I walk in to the showroom and see if they can make it happen, or do I just wait till I get contacted months down the road to configure my regular Dual Motor?
Not sure why you think that the showroom can do anything for you.

If you can't afford one, you can't afford it.

Nidavellir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pre-Order CyberTruck
Country flag
Just have patience. You waited this long. With the money you save you can do some nice upgrades. And have peace of mind that the Non Foundation Series will be better Cybertrucks since all the issues and problems will be resolved and you will not have to deal with the headaches.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
If they sell the "Limited" Foundation Series in to the 2025 Model Year, I'm raising the BS Flag on it being "limited". Limited to two model years is still limited, I guess though....just like air is limited. Everything is Limited by how much there is. In fact, I have a "Limited Edition Model Y", because Tesla has not yet reached their limit on how many they are making.
i saw a Dodge Ram 1500 yesterday, it said Limited too tesla isnt unique, at least the Foundation series is truely limited like the founders edition models S was

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Most of us are just waiting patiently.

Pretty much all we can do.

Join us on the skippers thread lol

If you end up being able to afford it later. You can get a beast for the price people are paying for dual.

Or a range extender.

It's a hard sell for FS aside from the FOMO

Art138

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP,Ferrari Pista,Ford GT & CYBERBEAST ordered
Country flag
Price-in insurance costs and don’t stretch yourself to the point you stay awake at night. You must be in the high 1129xxx crowd…..if so,reservations in Nov/December 2019 have a lot of runway left. If any good comes from your reservation is that you can ignore the order invite and wait it out. Who knows,by this time next year a lot can happen and you can thank yourself for waiting.

dorylee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck FS AWD, LR Defender 90
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
honestly, I agree too. But if they make a business decision to keep selling CT with a 20k "makrup" by the mfg, I wouldn't be surprised given the strong demand ....

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Country flag
I think the play is to just wait. If you want to spend $100K then wait and get a beast. Otherwise save the $20K markup and get the dual-motor.

Tesla is doing Tesla. Anyone remember the $140K Plaids? I picked up a used one from the Tesla shop a year ago for under $80K. Sure, the first buyer got one of the early ones - Sept 2021 build - but that depreciation in the first 18 months was more than I can stomach.

Had my car in this past weekend for the changeover to summer wheels/tires and new front halfshafts (the dreaded 40-50mph vibration in early cars) and they gave me an early build 2020 Model Y Dual Motor Performance loaner for the weekend with 53k miles. Build quality on that was....embarrassing. Window trim had faded badly and was showing rainbow splotches, interior kick panels were cracked, parts of the headliner were coming off near the windows and on and on.

Early builds of first-gen Teslas are not known for high quality. Same could be said for any manufacturer. I owned a 2015 Porsche Macan S for a couple years, also bought well used, (5 years old) and it had a very common timing chain cover oil leak that requires a $15K engine drop. Oh, and the PDK was starting to act up - that's another $15K. Needless to say I sold the car. So much for the first model year at Porsche!

Common wisdom with vehicles is never buy the first model year and I think the same holds true here. Waiting will not only get you a less expensive Cybertruck, but a higher quality Cybertruck.

Guzziot

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Motorcycles
Occupation
Software engineer
Country flag
I got the invitation 12/21 and it took me until 1/9 to commit. It's a big stretch but personally I needed a big stretch at this point in life. I also turned 60 during the 4-year wait so I can now hit my retirement funds without penalty. I drive little enough and generally prefer to ride a motorcycle, so early production issues are unlikely to be a big hassle for me.
It's turning into the most exciting thing I've done in years.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Why ask us? There is a camp that thinks the cost outweighs the access, and there is a camp that things that access outweighs the cost. Once you decide which camp you are in you have an answer.
Sponsored