Sandman1962

First Name
Sel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S , Model X
Country flag
I am number 283422 in line to buy a CyberTruck. I am NOT a fan anything. I am 71 years old and cannot be a fan of anything. Too old for that sentiment. BUT, I have promised my geriatric friend (86 years old and 13 years my senior in highschool) when he was 82 that I will take him to Wholefoods for icecream and cake in my Cybertruck. I also promised the neighbor's three sons the same thing on a different day. The list is growing because I have 15 nieces and nephews with countless grand nieces and nephews present or on the way... So I will keep my promise to all of the above and will buy a CyberTruck.

I never write on this forum, because I am afraid I would have to respond to someone replying to my note and say something which requires replying.

I will buy my Cybertruck when it is my turn. This will be the last car I will ever buy before they take away my drivers license (or before I voluntarily give up driving).

The way I look at this is Tri-motor with 500+ miles range is reduced to dual motor with 340 miles range. NO big deal. I'll get one and enjoy life while I can.

Live long and prosper everyone!
I have a Beast on order and if you lived a closer to San Diego, I’d take you for cake and ice cream when I get it. I agree with your sentiment, enjoy life and do what makes you happy. If you wait for perfection, you may be waiting a long long time.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
the fact is these aspirational specifications did set expectations that the CT, as released, falls well short of. The disappointment in that can be understood.
question on this point:

what if on Nov. 30, Tesla introduced the AWD, and previewed the single motor in 2025, but also previewed the ‘Tri Motor’/long range/HD version in 2026?

would that have been “falling short of expectations”?

if “no,” then - isn’t that outcome functionally similar to the one that actually occurred on Nov 30?

if “yes,” then what you’re really saying and only getting at is that you wanted a LR/HD version that wasn’t coming soon enough for your purposes.

In either camp, if one believes battery tech could improve materially in the next two years, then not releasing on Nov. 30 a long range CT is functionally similar to on Nov 30 previewing one coming in two years

because on that framing, it seems like the “disappointment“ boils down to expecting Tesla to have released all trims/models simultaneously

which is an expectation that doesn’t seem to square with any reasonable view of Tesla’s history?

I get it. If you were waiting 4 years for a 500mi version, and Tesla hasn’t released it yet, it’s disappointing.

but I’ve been waiting 4 years for a dual motor version, and Tesla gave me more milage than expected (320/340 vs “300”+), more towing than expected (11K vs 10k), and more speed than expected (<4sec vs 4.5sec), 4WS + SBW (amounts to unexpected agility), etc., etc. And they gave a surprise option to have that identical vehicle instead go bananas fast (if I cared to pay for it).

I guess I could gripe about the 2500 payload versus 3500, and the reduced interior dimensions, but otherwise any additional grapes about expectations seems so minor that I can’t remember them at the moment - and seem fairly offset by the ways they exceeded expectations.

that is, before we talk price of course 🤣

there’s really no way around the fact that less cost is better, but 🤷🏻‍♂️

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
question on this point:

what if on Nov. 30, Tesla introduced the AWD, and previewed the single motor in 2025, but also previewed the ‘Tri Motor’/long range/HD version in 2026?

would that have been “falling short of expectations”?

if “no,” then - isn’t that outcome functionally similar to the one that actually occurred on Nov 30?

if “yes,” then what you’re really saying and only getting at is that you wanted a LR/HD version that wasn’t coming soon enough for your purposes.

In either camp, if one believes battery tech could improve materially in the next two years, then not releasing on Nov. 30 a long range CT is functionally similar to on Nov 30 previewing one coming in two years

because on that framing, it seems like the “disappointment“ boils down to expecting Tesla to have released all trims/models simultaneously

which is an expectation that doesn’t seem to square with any reasonable view of Tesla’s history?

I get it. If you were waiting 4 years for a 500mi version, and Tesla hasn’t released it yet, it’s disappointing.

but I’ve been waiting 4 years for a dual motor version, and Tesla gave me more milage than expected (320/340 vs “300”+), more towing than expected (11K vs 10k), and more speed than expected (<4sec vs 4.5sec), 4WS + SBW (amounts to unexpected agility), etc., etc. And they gave a surprise option to have that identical vehicle instead go bananas fast (if I cared to pay for it).

I guess I could gripe about the 2500 payload versus 3500, and the reduced interior dimensions, but otherwise any additional grapes about expectations seems so minor that I can’t remember them at the moment - and seem fairly offset by the ways they exceeded expectations.

that is, before we talk price of course 🤣

there’s really no way around the fact that less cost is better, but 🤷🏻‍♂️
I get it.... ;)
“The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer.” -various

Last edited:

moeali

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a Beast on order and if you lived a closer to San Diego, I’d take you for cake and ice cream when I get it. I agree with your sentiment, enjoy life and do what makes you happy. If you wait for perfection, you may be waiting a long long time.
Alright Sandman! Thank you for the offer. I live in Folsom CA and I invite you to come on up and I'll take you to the Apple Hills for some wine tasting!

I hope you will get your Beast soon and start enjoying it.

Your username reminds me of the movie "Logan's Run"!

Trimotor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
The Cybertruck event was in November 2019 and at that time there was no Giga Texas only Fremont. And during the four years since that time inflation was the highest in 40 years and all of the EV companies like GM, Ford, Lucid , Rivian etc were losing billion$ on EVs. The last time I checked Tesla was also an EV company with shareholders so I don't understand how even some big YouTubers like. MKBHD, Dan Markham (What's Inside) were bitching about the price change after four years.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I get suggested this guy and one or two other similar tubers. I just don't have the patience to even watch for laughs. Its more annoying than diehard Tesla fanboys.
If you get this suggestion again, you can either long press (mobile, appleTV) or three dots context menu and select 'don't suggest from this channel again'.

Only works in a suggestions list, tho, not search results or playlist or subscriptions.

^-^

-Crissa

Sandman1962

First Name
Sel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S , Model X
Country flag
Alright Sandman! Thank you for the offer. I live in Folsom CA and I invite you to come on up and I'll take you to the Apple Hills for some wine tasting!

I hope you will get your Beast soon and start enjoying it.

Your username reminds me of the movie "Logan's Run"!
I have a place in Tahoe (I picked up my S and X at the Rockland Tesla Center). If I’m up there, I’ll see about visiting Folsom!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Some people hate Elon's new politics.
What? Because Elon is in the middle of the political spctrum he becomes a punching bag for both sides?

I think the truth is more simple: Elon threatens massive financial interests so they have an army of web bots out there trying to make people think Elon is bad. And easily manipulated people have jumped on the bandwagon for their own reasons.

In the real world, sure, some people have been influenced by this disinformation campaign, but most of the extreme negativity comes from the Internet. Look at the two Youtubers driving their new Cybertruck from Austin to Joshua Tree. One of them said the people they meet are polar opposites of the haters online. People are interested and positive about the Cybertruck, for the most part. They don't see the haters in the real world.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think the truth is more simple: Elon threatens massive financial interests so they have an army of web bots out there trying to make people think Elon is bad.
No bots made Elon say stupid stuff, like that Green Day song was 'attacking him'. 🤣

-Crissa

Bamaboy007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Not the case for everyone, but there is likely a lot of mental justification going on for why people can’t or don’t want to buy the CT. It was all fun to talk about buying one but when the bill came, it seems like a lot of people have crocodile arms.

For others the final specs didn’t meet their needs, so if I were them I’d fade to black and accept Tesla didn’t custom make them a personalized truck. Tesla made this truck and if it doesn’t work for you, go back to the market and keep shopping.

Agree it’s tough seeing people tear something down for silly reasons. This isn’t a mandatory purchase. If it doesn’t meet your needs move on. Life is short and no need to be negative.
haters gonna hate. F em

lowtek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid
Occupation
I do things.
Country flag
Wow! Talk about context fail ... go watch the video and stop trolling Elon hate ...

Also, Yahoo is click-bait fake news ... always ... they haven't been relevant in over 25 years.

If you were to watch the actual video, he's referring simply to the perceived radical nature of breaking the trend by repeating last year's car design like everybody else does. And, introducing new ways of doing things.

The fact that everybody is talking about it ensures its success. It's only getting hate online. In person, people love it.

However, if the CyberTruck failed completely it would have a negligible effect on Tesla's bottom line.

lowtek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid
Occupation
I do things.
Country flag
Not getting political, but for the record, Elon says his politics have NOT changed. He explained it with this drawing he posted to twitter, Elon is the "me".

1704723284982.jpeg
I think most people are just off center one way or the other. I noticed that when I talk to most people in person (not online) we find common ground pretty quick.

But the radicals make a lot of noise, it's the only power they have.

... and politicians now weaponize our differences against us ... which is why talking to people in person is important ...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.