Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-y-owners-have-found-home-depot-shit-used-to-1844999285

I guess not being one of the first 10k people in Line to get the CyberTruck is not a bad thing. These are the types of BUGS they need to work out.
Why?

If they needed a cheap plastic part to shore up a design fault found in production, no one would complain if they'd 3d printed a weight spreader but this is much cheaper and does the same job as a formed bracket.

Should they not have shipped the cars waiting weeks for the new part to be molded affordably and quickly enough to match the rest of the production line?

-Crissa

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-y-owners-have-found-home-depot-shit-used-to-1844999285

I guess not being one of the first 10k people in Line to get the CyberTruck is not a bad thing. These are the types of BUGS they need to work out.
The way the ‘article’ is written, with abusive language, I suspect that it can be largely ignored. It is clear from the photograph that a kludgy solution to mounting the device was employed by someone for some reason (perhaps rattling, perhaps leakage, perhaps the mounts were inadequate, etc.). The original proposition is certainly true for any vehicle or manufacturer; it cannot hurt to be out around 100K in the reservation list for a new vehicle. I have seen similar on my Lexus. But that article was ‘written’ by someone with an agenda so I have to ignore it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The way the ‘article’ is written, with abusive language,
Yeah, the original poster was annoyed at his misaligned panels, but didn't care about this bodge. It seems to work, and while fake wood grain is kinda funny, even Munro noted the strap seemed to be an afterthought when he took it apart.

And someone else also found that the strap isn't on the parts list for the Y, which confirms that this is a modification made recently during production.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/found-this-little-gem-on-my-55k-model-y.205922/

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Jalopnik is known for writing anti EV & Tesla articles. I suspect they have ties to the legacy automakers with the way the usually trash Tesla. I disregard their entire site due to their blatant bias.
Well theres plenty of other sites that are blatantly biased for EV"s, against dyno.
Thanos would be happy. All things equal

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Jalopnik seems to bounce around whether they're anti Tesla or not. I think they have lots of writers who just like to be snarky against whatever automaker, and double that with lots of their writers being petrolheads, comes out double against Tesla sometimes.

Snark goes bad pretty easily.

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
were those wood braces miss-aligned?
No, people were just upset that they were using a material that was cheap as it looked, rather than a cheap material that looked more suited to the car.
With where it is and how it's used, it should cause no problems and most people would never see it.

Sure, a 3D printed part would have looked nicer, but that's assuming that Tesla has enough 3D printers to make enough of these that it doesn't slow down production. I think most people would rather have their car, the ones that would rather wait to get a piece of wood replaced with metal or plastic or possibly even just a nicer looking wood, they would have been better off never knowing about it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you're going to 3D print something, it ought to be the right size to clip onto the stack and cover as little as possible.

The problem is, 3D printing is great for a one-off, it's less good when you need ...however many cars they just shipped (thousands per week?). It's both slow and expensive and not as materially reliable as something that was extruded.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
If that setup is a true thing from tesla on a production car. Shame on them, that is unacceptable. If your car isn't ready dont bandaid it. At LEAST drill some more holes and hard mount it with long bolts or something solid.

The plastic mouldings isn't the issue but it is an issue(plastic fatigue and degradation from heat cycles and vibration), it's the metal tie strap. This will flex and stretch, or the crimp will loosin. if they felt the need to put it there, their is a good reason. Hopefully they had marked what cars had this and set a quick fate to have it brought in and fixed.

This is very similar to thing we have done with rally cars on long stages, to get it to the finish, not something for long term reliability. :(

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Putting in shims and straps is very common in older vehicles as we learn about long-term wear of parts.

'More bolts' isn't always the answer. Holes create weak points.

-Crissa
Sponsored