Hopefully Cybertruck tow range is better than F-150 Lightning

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Three things.
First, they are tripling the size of the supercharger in the next two years. So there will be more stations before many people get their CT.
Second, the travel trailers and Hailey trailers will have batteries in them with motors and Regen braking. So you won't need to charge as often because your range won't be affected.
Third, 99.99% of truck owners tow less than once a year. So for that 0.0001% occurrence you'll just have to expect that things aren't normal.
Sponsored

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
While it’s a bit concerning but I have towed with gas trucks before and the MPG plummets also, only difference is the ease of filling up.

obviously Tesla has insurmountable lead in charging network but no charging stalls to accommodate truck with trailer so hope that’s in the works very soon!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
obviously Tesla has insurmountable lead in charging network but no charging stalls to accommodate truck with trailer so hope that’s in the works very soon!
It's not no stalls, there are some, but until we see lots of Cybertrucks coming out the door, they have no reason to ramp up the towing features.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
There are people working on aero for semis, but the manufacturers and trucking companies fought it, because it adds to the complexity of hooking and unhooking trailers.

I have also seen people working on aero for 5th wheel and rear hitch trailers, but again, because the size of the truck us unknown, it is hard to match...

If the Cybertruck comes in one size fits most, then making accessories for towing aerodynamics becomes much easier... and if I was making a trailer, I would make it match exactly the width of the body of the Cybertruck and work on trying to put as much air back behind the trailer as possible.

I would also look at instead of slide outs, collapsing down. I have seen a few, like a big version of a tear drop that actually collapses down for towing, but expands up once parked, really increasing the head room inside (but still being compact when towing). It used two electric screw actuators I think to change the trailer height.

Putting the air back behind the trailer is usually a bigger cost to range than pushing the air out of the way to begin with. Another help would be decluttering the sides, making everything flush mounted or recessed with a cover. Same with the top with ac units, etc.

And I was trying to find a lake in Virginia that was over 100 miles from a supercharger or one that will be built in the next year...
Tesla Cybertruck Hopefully Cybertruck tow range is better than F-150 Lightning Tesla_map_virginia_20220708

For those unfamiliar with VA, Richmond to Virginia Beach is about 107 miles driving distance.

Deleted member 12457

My iCE RV puller gets mileage reduction of 50% while humping the notorious Donner Summit. As i observed, the mpg reduction is also a function on whether the humping is just a quickie or extra long until you reach her peak.

So I won't be complaining if I get the same off my Cybertruck. Besides, 150 miles is my typical stop for bathroom break and lunch while RVing..

Tech aside, my previous RV and puller combo did not require a weight distribution hitch but stability and handling difference is most apparent with and without. Try driving without one a 50mph cross wind off I-15 and I-80.:eek:
What is your ICE RV puller? Ford F-250 or so? My original question had to do with ICE (gas or diesel) Semi truck and so far nobody has commented on that. Maybe it's because there aren't any semi drivers reading these forums.

I did find this website, https://motorask.com/semi-trucks-mileage/, that listed the unladen mpg along with typical mpg for inclines and downhill (3mpg vs 25mpg). Of course, this article also mentions most diesel semis have 300 gal tanks giving then a 2000 mile range. At ~$6/gal in my area of WA (used GasBuddy, not sure what diesel costs at normal semi truck stations) that's $1800 for a fill up--major ouch!!! Using an incline mpg is always offset by the decline mpg so I am hoping Tesla will be able to gear the CT and Semi properly for towing instead of for drag racing.

Does anyone know if Tesla will be using a single gear "transmission" on the Semi? I haven't heard anything about one on the CT but I have to wonder if a variable transmission (like on Subarus) might work on the CT and Semi to provide better mileage by reducing battery usage if that even works with electric motors.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Agreed. Or stop hauling mobile castles around. Get a hotel. Do the math.

For people that need to tow regularly we need a plug in hybrid with a 60ish kWhr battery. Many daily commutes and short errands could be all electric.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I have all sorts of names to call logging truck drivers like you but I'm happy you're still alive. It's not something I'd ever do.

I'm hoping the Tesla Semi will include advanced FSD capabilities to help slow trucks down when going downhill on all the crazy logging roads and highways on the West Coast. I've seen a couple trips off the road on Hwy 199 between Grants Pass and Crescent City, a small highway I avoid at all costs. The largest truck I've ever driven is a 26-ft UHaul along I-5 crossing five passes luckily without enough snow to close the highway. Taking my time and downshifting kept me safe.
EV Semi initially will be for local maybe some regional distribution hubs. Pepsi and Frito-Lay are perfect customers. I think we are many years from replacing the cross country rigs and logging trucks etc.

Teslaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S P85
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
Re: Cyber towing. My chief use for towing is this flatbed 16ftt trailer seen here. Will hold 8 half ton bins of grapes, or even my Model S or Kubota tractor. If I did get a travel trailer down the road, would look for one with added batteries, or a smaller more aero form.

Tesla Cybertruck Hopefully Cybertruck tow range is better than F-150 Lightning E9D074A2-05EB-4700-97B8-3F01928AE145

Toonces

First Name
Meow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model Y
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Country flag
Not all trailer loads are equal. My old Grand Cherokee suffered 50% range loss with a mid-size uhaul I'd use to pick up appliances or whatever. A small wagon type trailer probably only would knock off 30%. A full-size RV or a boat? Yeah, that's gonna kill an EV just like it kills a gas truck, and knock off 70%. People just notice less with gas because it's quick to fill. If you're hauling a house on wheels, you'll want a 500mile range truck and plot your superchargers. You'll likely only get about 200 miles, but hopefully there are chargers along the way. There are in most places.
Exactly!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
There are people working on aero for semis, but the manufacturers and trucking companies fought it, because it adds to the complexity of hooking and unhooking trailers.

I have also seen people working on aero for 5th wheel and rear hitch trailers, but again, because the size of the truck us unknown, it is hard to match...

If the Cybertruck comes in one size fits most, then making accessories for towing aerodynamics becomes much easier... and if I was making a trailer, I would make it match exactly the width of the body of the Cybertruck and work on trying to put as much air back behind the trailer as possible.

I would also look at instead of slide outs, collapsing down. I have seen a few, like a big version of a tear drop that actually collapses down for towing, but expands up once parked, really increasing the head room inside (but still being compact when towing). It used two electric screw actuators I think to change the trailer height.

Putting the air back behind the trailer is usually a bigger cost to range than pushing the air out of the way to begin with. Another help would be decluttering the sides, making everything flush mounted or recessed with a cover. Same with the top with ac units, etc.

And I was trying to find a lake in Virginia that was over 100 miles from a supercharger or one that will be built in the next year...
Tesla_map_virginia_20220708.png

For those unfamiliar with VA, Richmond to Virginia Beach is about 107 miles driving distance.
Collapsible trailers will return en vogue. France BESCO was a notable one that collapsed down flat. Great to store away and it carried 600#.
Tesla Cybertruck Hopefully Cybertruck tow range is better than F-150 Lightning 13848333794_488c320994_w
Tesla Cybertruck Hopefully Cybertruck tow range is better than F-150 Lightning 13847916873_a6743df10d_w

Folding trailers carry more # but need more starage space.
Tesla Cybertruck Hopefully Cybertruck tow range is better than F-150 Lightning 9C0B73AF-CC57-451B-A8BE-2FA834D85B2D

Adapt-X might be the win for Cybertruck and EM’s namesake. It certainly would tow folded in the windshadow of the truck.

Rozonoe

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3 LR75, Cybertruck Dual FSD
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Yeah, but Cybertruck will have a range of over 1,000km depending of configuration & the efficiency of Cybertruck is way ahead of the Ford. So 1/3 minimum is still over 300km hauling ass!

richardlpaul

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I cancelled my f150 first wave RES when they sent me configurator. thought at the time cybertruck was close to production and didn't need 2 trucks.

I know Tesla is ahead on battery tech but by how much?

F150 long range got 86 miles towing a large/light trailer with 9% left with last 10 miles babied to make it to a charge station. Less than a 3rd of claimed 320 range is disappointing
I’m getting a CT with an airstream. I’ve seen previous tests towing an airstream which show they do better. I am getting the trimotor which should give me around 250 miles of towing range. More than enough.

TonyC

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruk
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I want a Cybertruck and will buy the three motor version because of the added range. However, I will cancel my order if the range drops by that much when towing. Battery tech will catch up to meet our needs in a few more years.

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
I’m getting a CT with an airstream.
That's what I want, or a Safari Condo, two bare metal vehicles out in the blazing sun not worrying about their paint. Too bad they don't make one in Stainless Steel, I aways see Airstreams with huge dents that have been backed into things

Tesla Cybertruck Hopefully Cybertruck tow range is better than F-150 Lightning alto_R

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It's not no stalls, there are some, but until we see lots of Cybertrucks coming out the door, they have no reason to ramp up the towing features.

-Crissa

Agreed but CT is only 1 year away while during that 1 year they are planning massive amount of new supercharger stations. So might as well future proof their new super chargers, Tesla usually is very forward looking. Will see, I guess.
Sponsored

Last edited: