Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
As was calculated in previous threads, how the #@$@ are they gonna squeeze 350kW of charge (~875 amps at 400 VDC) through:
- that charging cable
- the charge port
- the battery management system
- the batteries

875A doesn't even show up on my basic NEC quick-chart! Is the NEC not relevant because Tesla will be water cooling the charge lines?

Certainly, changing voltage will have a dramatic affect.
i.e. (~437 amps at 800 VDC)

What am I missing?
Sponsored

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
As was calculated in previous threads, how the #@$@ are they gonna squeeze 350kW of charge (~875 amps at 400 VDC) through:
- that charging cable
By liquid cooling.

- the charge port
It will have to be beefed up. What that means I don't know. The current cars are capable of 250 kW so it is evolutionary rather than revolutionary change that will be needed. Elon did not say that 350 kW charging would be from a 400 V SC. In the thread in which I brought up the 875 A at 400 I have added a post that goes into how a 400V car can be charged from an 800 V charger by switching the battery from a parallel to serial arrangement

- the battery management system
- the batteries
See that other thread. This has been done by other manufacturers.

875A doesn't even show up on my basic NEC quick-chart! Is the NEC not relevant because Tesla will be water cooling the charge lines?
NEC usually deals with premises wiring but this is certainly not something they are completely caught up on for sure. I'll note again that I don't think that when Tesla gets to this level of charging they will be using 400 V.

What am I missing?
Not much. Perhaps the last point above - that they don't have to stick to 400V. CharIn standards for that level of power call for the charger to be capable of up to 920 V. Here's the HPC350 picture:

Tesla Cybertruck How does 350KW charging work? [theories] CharIn HPC350
Sponsored