Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I"m hoping there's more to it than that.
Oh, possibly, but the detault is that they turn as the front turns, so in a circle the rear treads will fall in the front ones.

You know, like Sand People.

You can parallel park with the wheels in this configuration, too.

-Crissa
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Oh, possibly, but the detault is that they turn as the front turns, so in a circle the rear treads will fall in the front ones.

You know, like Sand People.

You can parallel park with the wheels in this configuration, too.

-Crissa
I bet it will be like learning to park all over again.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I’m wondering if AWS would enable being able to parallel park by pulling in front first. With only front wheel steering, you generally need to back into the parking space because you need to get the back wheels close to the curb before turning sharply to get the front wheels in. But with the rear wheels being able to turn too, it might be just as easy to pull in front first and still end up close to the curb. How that would work would depend on if crab walk is available or not but either way, it could possibly change the parallel park experience.

I can imagine 2 outcomes in traffic. If you are trying to park, pulling in front first would mean that you could pull in as you approach a parking space instead of having to pull forward and hoping the car behind you stops early enough to allow you to back into the space. Every once in a while you get those drivers that are right on your tail and won’t back up to give you room to maneuver into place.

On the other hand, being able to pull in front first would enable you to be the inconsiderate one. You could see someone stopped and getting ready to back in, then just steal the space by pulling into the space from behind them.

Both scenarios are going to get you some attention.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
In many of the previous implementations of 4 wheel steering, the rear wheels do not have nearly the same range of steering as the front. I would bet part of the reason is so that less space is taken up with the possible swing of the tires sweeping left/right. For instance it might require much larger (wider) wheel wells and in turn reduced bed space. Will be interesting how all these parameters end up in the cybertruck.

pagesix1536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Nissan Leaf SL, 2014 Tesla Model S P85DL
Country flag
I keep thinking in my head that with the front and rear having steering, suspension elements, and motors... what stops them from using the same assemblies for the front and the rear? They'd only have to make one beefy design, and then put it both on the front and the rear. I don't know what the underpinnings of the CT look like, but if it's designed like other Teslas with a square battery compartment and a "sled" design... I can't see why the front/rear wouldn't be able to be mirrored in design and cut down on manufacturing costs of having to make two separate units.

It would also pave the way for a quad-motor CT. :)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
it's an interesting point! I'm not sure how they'd do that, but it would save one more part - and a massively speed up and make the factory cheaper.

Still, they have to make a front and a back for the truck either way, I doubt it's much of an expense to have them be different.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I keep thinking in my head that with the front and rear having steering, suspension elements, and motors... what stops them from using the same assemblies for the front and the rear? They'd only have to make one beefy design, and then put it both on the front and the rear. I don't know what the underpinnings of the CT look like, but if it's designed like other Teslas with a square battery compartment and a "sled" design... I can't see why the front/rear wouldn't be able to be mirrored in design and cut down on manufacturing costs of having to make two separate units.

It would also pave the way for a quad-motor CT. :)
That is what I thought when I heard about the AWS, but there must be some differences between the two, most notably the towing infrastructure. Maybe they could leave it on the ‘front’ casting or maybe cut it off (that might still be more efficient than another casting machine and dies…

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
That is what I thought when I heard about the AWS, but there must be some differences between the two, most notably the towing infrastructure. Maybe they could leave it on the ‘front’ casting or maybe cut it off (that might still be more efficient than another casting machine and dies…
Many people on here have expressed a desire to have a front hitch to attach a winch to…

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not for a winch, but we would love to have the option to add a front hitch rack to the truck. Perfect for those days when having 6 bikes on the back isn't enough.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Not for a winch, but we would love to have the option to add a front hitch rack to the truck. Perfect for those days when having 6 bikes on the back isn't enough.
Ahhh… A better solution for Dishy McFlatface. Attach it to the front hitch. If it is low enough it won’t block the view like that other guy with the Prius.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Any New modification to the Cybertruck should not affect the initial cost of the Cybertruck.