How many are buying CT that DONT actually NEED a truck?

Xtrain

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic 2016
Occupation
Data Scientist
Country flag
I wanted a Tesla, but needed something bigger for the family. CT fits that and the fact that it is a truck is just icing on the cake!
Sponsored

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I wanted a Tesla, but needed something bigger for the family. CT fits that and the fact that it is a truck is just icing on the cake!
it isn't really a truck. It has a "vault" not a bed. It is a Posh Utility Vehicle.

Howard

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe, Explorer
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
I currently own a Tahoe and haul music gear and all sorts of stuff all the time. Also, tow a 5000# cargo trailer some time. I have been waiting for Tesla to come out with something that meets my needs. I would rather it be an SUV but the PU will work with its bed cover. I am getting the tri-motor because of the additional range. I need this if I am towing a trailer as it will be cut in about half. I love the company and I am excited to move into self-driving technology. My wife hates how it looks and I love it. Being a former manufacturing engineer this design is so much simpler and robust compared to traditional ICE trucks. The thing will be considerably less to produce than its counterparts. These are exciting times.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
According to the stats posted in this video 70% of buyers will not need a truck but will buy one.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
I do not need a truck everyday; I do need it at least once a month. It is a bit tricky loading things into the back of a Prius. In the spring time I go to the garden center and load up with bags of mulch and manure. Then I head back to the garden center to pick up flats of flowers. Then I get to clean the car before I have to do the next school run. Having a Cybertruck will make garden center trips and others like that a lot easier.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I need a truck, I dont need a crew cab but I've always used the back seat to carry tools. The frunk is gonna be great! Plus I have a trucker hat so it would be weird.

scottysize

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I'm a current picup owner. While I do not need a pickup 99% of the time for towing or hauling, there is that time once or twice a year where I do need to tow/haul things. If you're a home owner, you really should own a pickup. Can I rent one? Sure, however, there are problems with renting. No rental pickup has my wiring harness for my trailer, so I cannot haul my trailer. Also, in Texas, if you're going to haul a trailer, it has to be with a vehicle you own. There are other benefits to owning a pickup. I carry my golf clubs in the bed of my current pickup all the time. I can't carry them in the trunk of my Model 3, because that would use up all my trunk space. Also, many many many times a year I do use the bed to put something in that I wouldn't want in my car. IE: Grease, Oil, Old Wood, Paint, Metal Bars, poles, you name it. So, if you own a house, you really should own something with a bed. Also, interior space. ANYONE who's EVER sat inside a pickup, knows there's a TON more interior room in a pickup than you have in any car. It's more comfortable and there's something to be said for sitting up higher than other cars. Being able to see over the car ahead of you and anticipate that car hitting an object is something that you cannot do in a car. Example, I was driving home one day in the rain. A vehicle ahead of me was all I could see. We were going the speed limit of 70 MPH on a highway. Next thing I know, there's a 6' ladder in the road directly in front of my car. It missed my suspension on my Model 3 my an inch but did tear the fabric under the car. I was lucky. Had I been in a pickup, I might not have been able to see past the vehicle, but at least I would have been higher off the ground and wouldn't have had to worry about the ladder hitting my truck's underside. I for one, cannot wait for my Cybertruck. I plan on going to Cali to pick it up from the factory. For all the things I mentioned above. I will not be trading in my Model 3 however, because I plan on continuing to drive it and even Uber using it to help pay off bills so I can retire early. But I will have the Cybertruck for retirement.

Ronald Moltere

First Name
Ron Moltere
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Before the CT was announced I was planning on buying either a M3 or Model Y,,,,,, but then,,,, I saw the Cybertruck and learned about all its many unique, practical, and cutting edge features, and said : I’ve GOTA have one of those! Especially the top 500mi range version which I pre ordered.
I’ve never owned a truck or SUV in my entire life. Anyone else order one that doesn’t actually need a truck?
My wife and I are retired and we are purchasing the cybertruck for totally different reasons. My wife is handicapped and needs a motorized wheelchair that weighs about 50 pounds. Having to lift that weight into the back of a car trunk is difficult. The cybertruck is perfect. Also as we age driving will be difficult and the cybertruck will be the solution two are driving problem with the upcoming autonomous driving.. Tesla has proved to be the vehicle of choice for us. My question is will Tesla start production on the cybertruck earlier than 2021.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
A truck is in some ways like a gun. Most of the time you don't actually need either but when you do you do. The rest of the time they improve quality of life. Driving a truck is fun. Shooting/hunting/collecting/reloading is fun.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
I'm a current picup owner. While I do not need a pickup 99% of the time for towing or hauling, there is that time once or twice a year where I do need to tow/haul things. If you're a home owner, you really should own a pickup. Can I rent one? Sure, however, there are problems with renting. No rental pickup has my wiring harness for my trailer, so I cannot haul my trailer. Also, in Texas, if you're going to haul a trailer, it has to be with a vehicle you own. There are other benefits to owning a pickup. I carry my golf clubs in the bed of my current pickup all the time. I can't carry them in the trunk of my Model 3, because that would use up all my trunk space. Also, many many many times a year I do use the bed to put something in that I wouldn't want in my car. IE: Grease, Oil, Old Wood, Paint, Metal Bars, poles, you name it. So, if you own a house, you really should own something with a bed. Also, interior space. ANYONE who's EVER sat inside a pickup, knows there's a TON more interior room in a pickup than you have in any car. It's more comfortable and there's something to be said for sitting up higher than other cars. Being able to see over the car ahead of you and anticipate that car hitting an object is something that you cannot do in a car. Example, I was driving home one day in the rain. A vehicle ahead of me was all I could see. We were going the speed limit of 70 MPH on a highway. Next thing I know, there's a 6' ladder in the road directly in front of my car. It missed my suspension on my Model 3 my an inch but did tear the fabric under the car. I was lucky. Had I been in a pickup, I might not have been able to see past the vehicle, but at least I would have been higher off the ground and wouldn't have had to worry about the ladder hitting my truck's underside. I for one, cannot wait for my Cybertruck. I plan on going to Cali to pick it up from the factory. For all the things I mentioned above. I will not be trading in my Model 3 however, because I plan on continuing to drive it and even Uber using it to help pay off bills so I can retire early. But I will have the Cybertruck for retirement.
I also plan on going to California to take delivery of my Cybertruck. I am selling the idea to my family as an "epic road trip". It will be epic because it will be their first coast-to-coast trip in a vehicle. I plan on going to Yosemite, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, and all of the other fun and interesting sights along the way.

PeteDCNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1986 Mustang GT, 2006 Ranger, CT Dual Motor FSD
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
You bet I’m going to use it as a truck. Landscaping, dirt and mulch hauling, firewood, lumber pickup, plywood transport and trailer towing. I can even drive the lawn tractor into the bed, OH Yeah, some camping in Camp mode. So you can pick up in California , like that idea.

Cibrtrk

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt, 2008 Mazda CX-9
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
I had a 2014 Chevy Volt for 6 years and now have a 2019 Bolt. I play guitar in a couple of bands and these cars have usually been just large enough to haul all my gear. But every once in a while I need to haul extra stuff -- P.A. speakers and lighting equipment. For those rare occasions I still keep my 2008 Mazda CX-9 around. As someone mentioned above, the headliner is torn, as is the rear carpet, and there's lots of other damage inside. I never considered buying a pickup because you can't lock up the storage space. Didn't consider this one either until I saw the tonneau cover -- genius! The CT will be perfect for me, and the more I read about it the more I see how it's going to pay for itself and make my life easier. (In this pic you might notice another car, a '67 Firebird, an example of which also resides in my garage).

Tesla Cybertruck How many are buying CT that DONT actually NEED a truck? ALL my cars side view

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I think most trucks that are sold today are sold to people that don't really need them... they like the size and space; maybe even some like the potential to haul something one day.... but most people aren't farmers or trades people that use a truck in those ways.
Sponsored