How many are buying CT that DONT actually NEED a truck?

SoCalSteve

First Name
SoCalSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exige, Mark VIII, Countryman, Rune, X (Ultra Red)
Occupation
Industrial & Systems Engineer
Country flag
All the pro-plaid points you make are exactly why I'm buying a cybertruck!

Personally, I drive my mini cooper and I don't like having back seats, they feel wasteful and pointless. The lotus being so lightweight delivers a connection to the road as I've never felt in anything else. I haven't even felt as connected on any motorcycle. The other advantage is that one could buy a tri-motor FSD CyberTuck and an Exige instead of a plaid and still have enough cash left over to not work for an entire year.

Did you edit those photos? They look great.

As for fitting in an elise/exige, I think you'd do fine. They have this magic about them that's similar to slapping a submarine door on a go-cart and turning the whole thing into a Tardis. at 6', 200+ I find using it as my daily to be enjoyable. I have had a 6'3" co-worker sit in it because he didn't think it would be possible to fit. I also let a guy who was pushing 400lbs ride with me to lunch and he asked for a ride back as well despite having other options. I did take the roof off so he could get in though. The passenger compartment is only rated for 450lb so that probably wasn't smart on my end, but I haven't seen issues, so lucky me.
Fat guys guide to getting in and out of a lotus (solid entertainment):

The lotus does not have a frunk, it has a wind tunnel and a massive radiator. The trunk gets extremely hot, but is surprisingly roomy as Lucy demonstrates here (skip the middle bits:
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
All the pro-plaid points you make are exactly why I'm buying a cybertruck!

Personally, I drive my mini cooper and I don't like having back seats, they feel wasteful and pointless. The lotus being so lightweight delivers a connection to the road as I've never felt in anything else. I haven't even felt as connected on any motorcycle. The other advantage is that one could buy a tri-motor FSD CyberTuck and an Exige instead of a plaid and still have enough cash left over to not work for an entire year.

Did you edit those photos? They look great.

As for fitting in an elise/exige, I think you'd do fine. They have this magic about them that's similar to slapping a submarine door on a go-cart and turning the whole thing into a Tardis. at 6', 200+ I find using it as my daily to be enjoyable. I have had a 6'3" co-worker sit in it because he didn't think it would be possible to fit. I also let a guy who was pushing 400lbs ride with me to lunch and he asked for a ride back as well despite having other options. I did take the roof off so he could get in though. The passenger compartment is only rated for 450lb so that probably wasn't smart on my end, but I haven't seen issues, so lucky me.
Fat guys guide to getting in and out of a lotus (solid entertainment):

The lotus does not have a frunk, it has a wind tunnel and a massive radiator. The trunk gets extremely hot, but is surprisingly roomy as Lucy demonstrates here (skip the middle bits:
Haha, no, I just lifted the photos directly off Google but I do think someone else must have edited them pretty heavily.

Did you watch that video you posted about fitting in an Elise? Because the guy specifically warned that tall guys would have more problem than fat guys. And there is a BIG difference between fitting in and being able to drive it safely. I wear 38" inseams when I can find them - I'm not gonna fit. The Model 3 feels like a luxury car to a tall guy like me in comparison and the Cybertruck gonna be sweet!

SoCalSteve

First Name
SoCalSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exige, Mark VIII, Countryman, Rune, X (Ultra Red)
Occupation
Industrial & Systems Engineer
Country flag
There's more than enough legroom! You can always do the "slow mo" version he posted. It's the only way corset wearing ladies can get in/out. Im not making any guarantees about head safety. We canntake off the roof and you can wear a helmet, lol. Tesla is going to be safer than anything else on the road imo. The only thing a lotus has going for it is that in head on collisions, most cars hit the lotus and go airborne leaving lotus passengers unscathed.

This guy is 6'10" and has no issues. He even gets in wrong.
(skip the first 9 min)

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
Going to replace sliding door family hauler with CT.

I could have used CT 3-4 times in the past month. Do I need it? Nope.

Will it make some things easier? Is it better suited for some of my transportation needs? For sure!

Utility, efficiency and versatility. I've never owned a truck. But I've rented and borrowed trucks from others. I think it's time to own up now and get mine and drive it into the ground for the next 30+ years.

1ofafew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor
Country flag
Before the CT was announced I was planning on buying either a M3 or Model Y,,,,,, but then,,,, I saw the Cybertruck and learned about all its many unique, practical, and cutting edge features, and said : I’ve GOTA have one of those! Especially the top 500mi range version which I pre ordered.
I’ve never owned a truck or SUV in my entire life. Anyone else order one that doesn’t actually need a truck?
Buying a CT should take the guilt out of buying a big gas guzzling truck that you really don‘t need. I see alot of Dodge/F-150 owners who never ever really make use of the bed, so you’re good!

Kevinb2

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suzuki SX4 2009 sedan
Country flag
I live in the rural parts of Texas. Many county roads here use caliche that sticks to the vehicle, with large sized rocks that'll be thrown by the tires into the undercarriage. I want something made to take abuse. I don't want a vehicle that needs to be handled with care as to not scratch the paint.

I drive around a little Suzuki on these roads at 35-40mph; getting it caked and battered by rocks. Only one paint scrape on the rear bumper, but I'm a happy 4th owner with no mechanical problems! I'm so ready for the cybertruck to show me the power of electricity in person.

TerryMack

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Before the CT was announced I was planning on buying either a M3 or Model Y,,,,,, but then,,,, I saw the Cybertruck and learned about all its many unique, practical, and cutting edge features, and said : I’ve GOTA have one of those! Especially the top 500mi range version which I pre ordered.
I’ve never owned a truck or SUV in my entire life. Anyone else order one that doesn’t actually need a truck?
I never owned a truck but my days are limited here. So I wanted to get something fun to drive... and this hits the bill! My Honda Accord LE is going to be swapped out for this. Hope it fits in my apartment parking space. Otherwise I will have to buy a house with a 2 -1/2 car garage!;)
Besides, Elon says it is Bad Ass and super cool! What better reason to buy a car!!!

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck How many are buying CT that DONT actually NEED a truck? C68F603E-DA78-4C6C-A71D-00BC39587C83

A taller greenhouse squared-off backend design rather than the Sportback chosen above on a Cybertruck spec undercarriage would perfectly match to my SUV needs.

Elon’s design brief “Safe truck that’s high performance, efficient and affordable designed to survive an apocalypse” a pickup with lockable self-storing vault cover is the highest embodiment and best expression of survivable.

His vision is proving prescient an SUV design is not apocalypse survivable has Hurricane IDA written all over Cybertruck as evacuation and rescue pushes the importance of having an open pickup bed.

bob/lego/gamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota matrix
Country flag
I hear ya. The ID Buzz with it's big smiling face would sell in the millions! So why is it that VW, the massive carmaker that it is, doesn't bring it to market? The latest rumor is that they won't be available for sale in the U.S. until 2023. VW has been pumping the public with BUZZ about the ID Buzz since 2017.
I don't know if you've seen it but here's a great video hyping the Buzz from 2018. There sure has been a lot of HYPE from Legacy car makers about how they are going into EV's for a long time! Yet look what they've actually accomplished.
well they got the id buzz now
https://electrek.co/2022/01/06/vw-launch-idbuzz-electric-minibus-march-9/

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

bob/lego/gamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota matrix
Country flag
Please don't spread rumors.
What I read from the link you provided is that, on March 9 they want to get attention and "launch" the electric VW bus. Further into the article, they mention VW is serious about bringing the vehicle to market by 2023.

So no I.D. Buzz for awhile still.
This is true but at least we will hopefully get some specs.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I had a 1988 RX7 for 3 years, then a Ford Maverick for 20 years. Sedans for the last 10 years.

Boy am I looking forward to my CT, l've missed the option of carrying the odd thing, but really I love sitting higher, more space, and it just feels better.

Also, it's the RV that will justify the expense… a win / win for me.

jtdiddy

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Cybertruck
Occupation
Patent Attorney
Country flag
We are accepting delivery next week and this will be our first truck. We definitely don't need a truck in our live so its clearly more of a luxury want and we are 100% ok with that.

RidnDirty

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CB & M3
Country flag
I dont need a truck but still getting one.

Missing Items: (that I was looking for)
1) Easy ramp to Drive on my motorcycles
2) 500 mile range
3) 6 passengers (middle front row missing after shrinkage)
4) White seats
5) better water resistance bed
6) pricing

Wow things:
1) bi-directional charging (#1 to power my house)
2) I-95 proof, I drive 110 miles a day
3) no/low Maintenace as Ice cars
4) all the cool features and things that goes with owning a Tesla

Had my M3AWD since 2019, 110k miles. No Issues, so at least the CB is similar in range (until the overpriced battery pack comes in)
Sponsored