TODD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 volt and 2013 ford ev getting cybertruck
Occupation
RETIRED
Country flag
I would like a trailer with all four sixty batteries as back up Flexibility Imagine 1000 miles. Putting your own solar on truck and or trailer. With solar degrading or as an up grade plus solar improving. With v2g coming up. it might help make some money when not using trailer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gogster2k

First Name
Gogian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Charger, Honda Odyssey, Tesla M3, MY.
Occupation
Retired. Tier II Desktop Support Tech, Southern California Edison
Country flag
The solar option would be nice. Imagine the possibilities, camping, off grid building etc.
I am definitely getting it when available.
Also an option for vehicle to house or vehicle to vehicle would be nice
I’m getting this solar option even though it may not put out what they estimate it to be as self charging while parked outside is always a plus!

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Probably not the right forum for this question, but close.

For home charging, you should apparently buy a wall-mounted charging device, which will cost hundreds, with more for professional installation. So I ask this:

You can plug into a normal 110v outlet for no extra cost, although the charging will be very slow. Let's say you already have a 220v outlet with the right kind of receptacle. I guess that would be only slightly faster, but if you won't be driving a lot, what's wrong with that?

Last edited:

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Probably not the right forum for this question, but close.

For home charging, you should apparently buy a wall-mounted charging device, which will cost hundreds, with more for professional installation. So I ask this:

You can plug into a normal 110v outlet for no extra cost, although the charging will be very slow. Let's say you have a 220v outlet with the right kind of receptacle. I guess that would be only slightly faster, but if you won't be driving a lot, what's wrong with that?
Our S charges at about 27mph on the 220v outlet I put in the garage. It cost me about $30. I already had the wire and an extra 60 amp breaker in the box. I don’t see needing any more than that.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
This is discussed at length here and elsewhere to the point where a quick, simple answer may be hard to find.

Your CT will come with a UMC (Universal Mobile Charger). They used to ship it with a several adapters for different outlets typed but have gotten cheap recently and only supply the garden variety 120 V adapter with the cars they are selling now. These allow the car to draw only 1.4 kW from an outlet. The smaller cars can go over 3 miles on a kWh so you can charge about 4 miles range into them in an hour. But the CT is probably only going to be able to go a bit over 2 miles on a kWh so you will be limited to approximately 3 miles per hour added. This isn't really practical for a CT. This is called Level 1 charging.

At 240 V the UMC can draw up to 30 amps from appropriate receptacles and the adapter for a variety of 240 V adapters is available at the Tesla store. At 240 V 30A is 7.2 kW and at two miles per kWh you will be able to charge at 14 miles per hour. In a 10 hour overnight charging session you will be able to add about 14 miles of range.

To charge at faster rates you must go to something beyond the UMC i.e. one of the wall mounted units you refer to. They will allow the car to take 11.5 kW from the mains and a CT will, thus, be able to add about 23 miles of range per hour.

Which choices are reasonable for you really depends on how many miles you need to add each day. Note that getting a 240V outlet put in can entail considerable expense.

One of the main advantages of a wall charger is that the UMC can always be in the car where it belongs. If I tried to use it for daily charging I would, for sure, forget to bring it on a trip.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
You can plug into a normal 110v outlet for no extra cost, although the charging will be very slow. Let's say you already have a 220v outlet with the right kind of receptacle. I guess that would be only slightly faster, but if you won't be driving a lot, what's wrong with that?
When I was simply commuting (8 mi each way) I only used 120. Worked fine.
Sponsored