Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would just like to see a built in solar panel charge controller. That way you can just bring panels with you if you need them or my my case plug into our off grid cabins panels.
Sponsored

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
I think I would sooner get a generator to put in the back of the vehicle than I would get solar panels. But I don’t know which is more cost-effective.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
For perspective - that array (No. 65) would put about 14 miles of range into my X100D (northern Virginia) per hour near noon near the summer solstice on a sunny day with little or no haze. For the CT perhaps 8 or 9. In winter perhaps 9 miles for the X and 6 for the CT.

Last edited:

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
I agree with your estimates. My concern is the effect on the bed cover in terms of fragility and repairability. A folding solar array could be very vulnerable to scratching and other damage that would impact effectiveness as a solar collector very quickly. I’m a little afraid that it would become nonfunctioning artifact. I think that just continuing to open and close as a simple bed cover is a lot to expect. Maybe I’ll save my 3-5k for future bed cover repairs.

Had this for 16 years.. Rolled and unrolled lot's. of time. Still works

Tesla Cybertruck How many are getting the solar option IMG_9394
Tesla Cybertruck How many are getting the solar option IMG_9392
Tesla Cybertruck How many are getting the solar option IMG_9395

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
I upgraded to a 100W.
Tesla Cybertruck How many are getting the solar option Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 4.48.17 PM
I use it to charge my dump trailer batt.

Joeguy07

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Challenger, future cybertruck
Occupation
Transportation
Country flag
Would love to get solar on the tunnel cover. It would be great if they could make sure that it opens and closes in the winters, heater maybe.

dempster

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model 3, 2021 Model Y, Cybertruck preoder
Country flag
I agree with your estimates. My concern is the effect on the bed cover in terms of fragility and repairability. A folding solar array could be very vulnerable to scratching and other damage that would impact effectiveness as a solar collector very quickly. I’m a little afraid that it would become nonfunctioning artifact. I think that just continuing to open and close as a simple bed cover is a lot to expect. Maybe I’ll save my 3-5k for future bed cover repairs.
Have you seen the little impact clip with the hail for the solar roof? looks promising, I would hope they use something like those, at least in terms of durability.
"Test video for the highest (class 4) hail rating, filmed at 2,500 frames per second. Each 5 cm hailstone is travelling 160 km/h on impact. "
https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/solarroof

CybrTrkWdWk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor FSD
Occupation
Design, Woodworking
Country flag
Until I see price, I can't be sure. A cool feature would be an indicator to show when you have it parked at the most optimal angle factoring in GPS location, time of year, etc. perhaps the FSD could someday even auto park at optimal angle based on parking lot configuration or at least when parking offroad. "Solar Park Mode" ;)

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Until I see price, I can't be sure. A cool feature would be an indicator to show when you have it parked at the most optimal angle factoring in GPS location, time of year, etc. perhaps the FSD could someday even auto park at optimal angle based on parking lot configuration or at least when parking offroad. "Solar Park Mode" ;)
And slowly turn to match the sun. Cyberdoughnuts
Sponsored