Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Watch the reveal video. 1 person opened it on stage, while thousands watched him. It was effortless and quick. He took the ramp down in the same fast and easy manor. Then put it up just as easily. Why all the needless hand-wringing?
I went back and watched the video before my first comment. That guy is taller than Elon so I would guess about 6'-4". I agree with you also, wait and see. If it's too damn heavy for soccer moms, Tesla will have a solution.
Sponsored

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
They seem to like clean lines and minimal design, I suspect the assist springs, Dampers, whatever u call it will be in the bottom, invisible to us.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
They seem to like clean lines and minimal design, I suspect the assist springs, Dampers, whatever u call it will be in the bottom, invisible to us.
Chains would be the easiest but would provide no assist whatsoever - but would keep the tailgate from slamming into someone/something and you could sit on it. Dampers would be less easy but would soften the blow in the downward direction but would need a release to close the tailgate and you would still need some kind of stop if you wanted to sit on it. An electric or pneumatic solution would match the truck's design the best and would match lift gate technology. It will be interesting to see what they do. It might take them several iterations to hone in on a solution they like. Look at the Model 3/Y. They keep changing them. Unfortunately not retroactively.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Going pneumatic there is underbed room to execute those mechanizations. Plus in the hyper extended ramp-down example, room exists in sailplanes for larger assist.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I like the ramp within the tail gate. The tail gate, when positioned beyond level; becomes part of the ramp. Drop the air suspension to provide the best and safest incline. My main concern about this way to stow the ramp, is what about if you're mudding with your ATV, won't you need to clean it before stowing? You don't want mud and rocks filling your tail gate cavity, or eventually it won't even fit the ramp.

The weight, I will guess at 110lbs

OP
OP
Delusional

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Unless I missed one, so far, we have four guesses. Shown in pounds.
Let's get some more please.

168: Me
155: Newton (Or 70 kilos)
80 : rr6013.
110: Fully Grounded

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Unless I missed one, so far, we have four guesses. Shown in pounds.
Let's get some more please.

168: Me
155: Newton (Or 70 kilos)
80 : rr6013.
110: Fully Grounded
Put me down for 180lbs. if it's all stainless. With an Aluminum ramp I'll say 148lbs

Turtle

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree, Tesla will make it right! If the competition has dampened or auto lift tailgates so will Tesla! But, guess what? We all will have to wait until the new and final design is revealed. Then you can purchase or get your deposit back.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
We all will have to wait until the new and final design is revealed. Then you can purchase or get your deposit back.
I hope the reveal happens before we have to make a purchase decision. Would like a little time for the design to get reviewed and talked about so I can make a better final decision.

But I'm also a bit afraid of when the reveal happens. Given the level of pent up demand, I'm guessing that this forum and most likely many others will explode with comment on the final design once it is revealed. I already am spending too much time here with the current level of discourse. After the reveal I may not be able to keep up with all I have to do.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I hope the reveal happens before we have to make a purchase decision. Would like a little time for the design to get reviewed and talked about so I can make a better final decision.

But I'm also a bit afraid of when the reveal happens. Given the level of pent up demand, I'm guessing that this forum and most likely many others will explode with comment on the final design once it is revealed. I already am spending too much time here with the current level of discourse. After the reveal I may not be able to keep up with all I have to do.
Does @FutureBoy even exist? Who drivels like this? After dropping “Afraid“ fear-mongering then follows immediately with “explode”?

I call BS.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Does @FutureBoy even exist? Who drivels like this? After dropping “Afraid“ fear-mongering then follows immediately with “explode”?

I call BS.
I have been thwarted at times by the existential question of my own existence. So far, the fact that I see others responding to my entreaties does give me a sense of actual existence. But I may be wrong. YMMV.

Turtle

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Chuckle , chuckle! Understand!!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla has always done production reveal to insiders first. So we'll get to see lots of them as they got to Tesla-aligned companies first, and then to us.

-Crissa

verinder

First Name
verinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
toyota yaris
Occupation
truck drniver
Country flag
It is a truck. I never get people that wouldn’t drive a truck unless it has a damped tailgate. They are ok loading 80 Ib bags of concrete all day but need a damped tailgate. You may as well ask for an automated manicure feature too. consider the extra weight a free exercise feature. Weight reduction is a big design consideration for Tesla. I am sure they will make it as light as they can.

I wouldn’t mind it as is even if it is heavy. If they add the mid gate, the ramp can serve a dual purpose, to be extended in tailgate closed position as a part of a more solid camping contraption.
I agree with this guy... I am sure they have ways to keep it light .

Deleted member 3316

I think the CYBRTRK tailgate will be much heavier than any other tailgate anybody has seen before. I think most of you will agree with me.

The question is: How much will it weigh? I think with the (optional?) slide-out ramp, it will be far over 100 pounds. Possibly approaching 200 pounds. Will it take four guys to safely remove it from it's hinge?

My guess is 168 pounds, but the only reason I chose that number is I hit it on the lottery last week.
What is your guess?

P.S. Maybe this question has been asked before?
I was going to bump this old thread but decided a new thread might be better..
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...urb-weight-an-interesting-analysis.963/page-2
Also it’s about strength and lightness, Tesla is going to make it as light as possible to fit the intended use case.

We have to remember the main issue we have around scratches and dents is not that it looks bad. The reason it “looks bad” is the potentiality of rust and deterioration that is likely to occur as a result. Scratches and dents are not going to mean the same thing in a stainless steel vehicle. So as long as the tailgate still functions, dents from prioritising lightness will be inconsequential.
Sponsored