j4ypal

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 and CT reservation
Country flag
Will it be powerful enough to break a thick layer of ice? Will heat-strips be installed on the edges?
If it is not working, they will adapt. Currently 27 changes made per day on average, and implemented ASAP. One video I saw said "Most likely your Tesla is one of a kind" since changes are implemented so rapidly.
The ice situation is the one thing that worries my spouse after she saw the no door handle thing on stage thursday. She flat out said "You can't buy that! when we get ice, you won't be able to get in!".

But my guess is they thought of that very early on in the design phase. They have a long experience of dealing with ice, snow, etc with their other vehicles since the early days of model S. If the door handles of Model S can break through ice, I'm guessing the auto-opening motors of CT will easily be able to break through also.

https://insideevs.com/news/320353/video-tesla-model-s-breaks-ice/

Also, with my Model 3, I pre-heat the car for 30 minutes when we get these conditions and it helps a lot.
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I see one potential flaw... What if i am parked on a sideways slope there didn't appear to be much to grab on to.

<<--- for example
that would have to be a significant slope, begging the question as to why the decision to park there at all.......

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
that would have to be a significant slope, begging the question as to why the decision to park there at all.......
When we are out on the back roads you cant always park flat and level. as to the avatar, we drove over the rock for the fun of it.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
Nd9GcRcB-kEax9Jp3mr2z8TLGNcCBtwtrqBBCsZhQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

Ice? No problem
Shortly after we got the Jeep a guy I was working with asked how I got mud off of it. I told him I waited for it to dry then took a rubber mallet to it. He looked at me in shock, he was asking because his daughter had gotten his new Cadillac stuck the night before, I didn't realize he was asking for a suggestion to use on his car.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
When we are out on the back roads you cant always park flat and level. as to the avatar, we drove over the rock for the fun of it.
my previous car was a jeep wrangler and I never looked for a flat and level as they didn't exist.... but neither would I park on a slope so extreme that I couldn't open my door.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
"Almost all input is error. Car should do the right thing automatically." - Elon Musk
When was the last time you saw someone fail at door open input?

Also.. if almost all input is error.. how did we evolve from stone tools through to electric vehicles that have some form of self driving? That's a lot of not failed input over a short period of time in the earth's history!

I've got no problem with no door handles, or FSD if that is your thing. As much evolution as possible is great for optimization of life.. but his "ethos" is cherry picking which inputs are almost all error prone. Its overly dramatic. A simple.. "who doesn't love optimizing and ease of use?!" would do perfectly fine over calling the sum total of human history mostly error!

:LOL:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This happens quite often with my Subaru. I walk up to it, pull on the handle and it fails to open. Then I fish around in my pocket for the keys, unlock the door, and pull again. It works. Oops, left my keys in the house damn it.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I use to own a duplex and rented out the top aparment. My tenant was responsible for the snow/ice clearing of her parking spot. I watched her one day walk up to her car and pull on the door handle, but instead of door opening she slid under her car. One of the funniest things I’d ever witnessed. (She was ok).

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I hope there is a nice edge by the window to facilitate a solid grip. Here in the frozen wasteland known as Canada, we sometimes have to really pull to get a frozen door open.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I hope there is a nice edge by the window to facilitate a solid grip. Here in the frozen wasteland known as Canada, we sometimes have to really pull to get a frozen door open.
The door will break the ice for you.

No grip necessary.

-Crissa