I am concerned the Single Motor CT will never happen.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I'm getting the single motor mainly because it's what I can afford.

but my 30 year old toyota pickup has only been in 4x4 a handful for times, im in CA. It was my dad's daily driver then became mine. It has taken both of us on countless excursions to the mountains (gold panning, hunting, camping, general nature viewing and exploring) and other states as well.

The 4wd has never been necessary (except 1 time where the truck would have been stuck in a dry sandy stream bed) but this was completely preventable and I only did it because I knew I had 4x4 to help me get out. But a winch or hunks of wood under the tires could have worked too.

People on some of the worst roads in our world have only 2wd and figure it out.
Like my tattoo says; no regerts
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I reserved the single the night of the reveal. I live in So. Cal and don't anticipate needing AWD also. The reason I changed to Dual was RANGE, the reason I didn't change to Tri was COST. After reading info on this forum and doing some virtual trips with: https://abetterrouteplanner.com
250 miles of range doesn't mean you will drive 250 miles between fill-ups. On road trips I'd probably drive between 10% to 90% max. So 80% of 250 is 200, however I'm seeing that hardly anybody gets close to those optimum ranges, so it seems like with a single motor CT on a road trip I'd be stopping every 150 miles max for 45 mins. to juice-up.
I sure wish I could afford a Tri. But in addition to higher sticker price Cost of ownership would go up with a Tri. (sales tax , registration and insurance) just to name a few of the additional cost's.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I have owned many AWD and a few 4WD vehicles. I prefer to have the option (or the car decides what to do) than to not have the option.

I do not use all of the features of my car often, but I still want them. Like the tow hitch. I use it at about 1 to 3 times a year... but still going to get it on the CyberTruck (or whatever vehicle I get to replace my Subaru Outback). Just too handy to have in my opinion.

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
I think what will probably happen is that there will be a dual motor variation that becomes available for say, 44k, with 300 miles and then they'll offer a long range one (350-400mi for 49k) if and when/if they decide to drop the single motor. That's how they did it with the others. Eliminate them along with a price cut of existing models.

As someone who lives in 'Truckland' I can tell you that very few consumer trucks get sold without 4wd. The main purchasers of 2wd trucks are fleets. Most consumers want 4wd on their trucks. This includes trucks outside the snow belt. I go down to Arkansas and Oklahoma all the time and it's VERY rare to see a consumer pickup without 4wd.

The main reason I could see the single motor surviving is if it's used as a low cost robotaxi or some other kind of fleet option. There is demand for 2wd trucks for fleets so that could be 'savior' for the single motor.
My plan is for 12 cyber trucks as a robo taxi Fleet. I'm assuming Elon wants a lot of rural Cyber trucks for robo taxis and that's one reason he's offering the single motor.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My plan is for 12 cyber trucks as a robo taxi Fleet. I'm assuming Elon wants a lot of rural Cyber trucks for robo taxis and that's one reason he's offering the single motor.
In my option FSD is a complete waist of time and Money and is at least ten years away if it ever comes. That would mean the so called robs taxi business model would be many years later. Heck, I will be on the first tee with The Babe, Teddy Ballgame and The Mick in Agusta Heaven before this all happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lascavarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Dual motor adds cost but $10k implies a little more than just a motor and 50 miles of range IMO. I am hopeful there will be lots of additional goodies Included or available.

I would/might go tri once we know more about it. If the tri enhaces mechanical simplicity by removing the rear differential then that would be a plus. So many possibilities.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Replacing a single differential with two (though they are simpler), adding an extra motor and an extra inverter and the cabling and plumbing for those is simplification?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Replacing a single differential with two (though they are simpler), adding an extra motor and an extra inverter and the cabling and plumbing for those is simplification?
We don't know anything about the rear axles but Sandy Munro said in his video that in order to tow the kinds of loads Tesla is claiming will require something new and that alone will cause problems. So we'll see I suppose.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
We know that if it is going to accelerate 3 times the mass of the truck alone at any reasonable rate it is going to have to be able to handle appreciable torque.

beeeasybro

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag
I am looking at the current Tesla page.....every vehicle is now dual motor. Not 1 is available in a single motor configuration anymore (which were the least expensive models)

Every single motor version has been discontinued. Will this happen to the CT considering the low volume of Single Motor pre orders?
Most likely yes. Pre orders may be fulfilled or they may make a deal for the select few who did pre order a single motor but like you said they don't exist in any of the models anymore. We shall see eh?

Youaregoldone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Cybertruck
Country flag
I reserved the single the night of the reveal. I live in So. Cal and don't anticipate needing AWD also. The reason I changed to Dual was RANGE, the reason I didn't change to Tri was COST. After reading info on this forum and doing some virtual trips with: https://abetterrouteplanner.com
250 miles of range doesn't mean you will drive 250 miles between fill-ups. On road trips I'd probably drive between 10% to 90% max. So 80% of 250 is 200, however I'm seeing that hardly anybody gets close to those optimum ranges, so it seems like with a single motor CT on a road trip I'd be stopping every 150 miles max for 45 mins. to juice-up.
I sure wish I could afford a Tri. But in addition to higher sticker price Cost of ownership would go up with a Tri. (sales tax , registration and insurance) just to name a few of the additional cost's.

Youaregoldone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Cybertruck
Country flag
What other costs that are not linked with a price were you referring to? Besides sales tax , registration and insurance?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What other costs that are not linked with a price were you referring to? Besides sales tax , registration and insurance?
Those would be costs, yes.

As long as Tesla has more demand than capacity, the low-end versions won't be made.

But that's why they're making more factories.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Maintenance is another cost. You add one more motor and more batteries. Plus I would imagine the tri might have more add-ons. The single will be very simple, compared to the tri. motor. I honestly think insurance could be a real kick in the balls, because you'll be driving a large, $70,000, almost armored vehicle, with 800hp and the capability to go 0-60 in under 2.9 seconds. That combination has never been seen before. The insurance companies are going to want a large premium to take on that kind of risk.