I am not a truck guy, but i want the Cybertruck....should I get it?

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
I’m not a truck guy either.

Longest range EV for the price, it’ll be five star rated, included safety features, Supercharger network. The vault is a fantastic and secure storage area for everything when we travel. These are the main features that make it attractive to me, but many other features that complete the package.

Nothing else out there is even close.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
There is only one reason i've been able to come up with for not getting one..... Size. Will i be able to go the places i want to go. Mostly yes, but i worry about not being able to park it on a downtown street or parking garage. That is a once a month trip for me so maybe i can work around it.
I seem full-sized trucks everywhere I go. If they can do it the CT can do it.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I’m not a truck guy either.

Longest range EV for the price, it’ll be five star rated, included safety features, Supercharger network. The vault is a fantastic and secure storage area for everything when we travel. These are the main features that make it attractive to me, but many other features that complete the package.

Nothing else out there is even close.
I guess that a 3mm stainless steel exterior doesn't do anything for you, but it is BIG in my book.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
The $100 is refundable and you should be able to see and test drive a CT by 2023 or earlier. That means that if you decide not to buy one you will be out the interest you could have earned on the $100. Big deal, ten dollars or so. What you will gain if you decide to buy is getting your CT months sooner. I don't know how fast reservations are coming in but you are probably falling behind at least a week for every month you wait to pull the trigger
@Hootie, That is what I thought when I made my reservation. It is only $100. The dirty little secret no one is telling you is that the reservation will cost you a Cybertruck worth of money in time. You will be spending thousands of hours on Youtube, tweeter and especially here obsessing over it. Every day telling yourself I will get a life and won’t worry about it until I get that email and the next day the first thing you do when you get up is get online to see what is going on. This cult is like a roach motel, you can get in but good luck trying to get out. You have been warned.

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
I guess that a 3mm stainless steel exterior doesn't do anything for you, but it is BIG in my book.
It’s very big in my book and I won’t miss those door dings or rust, but it wouldn’t have kept me from buying it If it wasn’t. It’s one of the features for me that completes the package.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
@Hootie, That is what I thought when I made my reservation. It is only $100. The dirty little secret no one is telling you is that the reservation will cost you a Cybertruck worth of money in time. You will be spending thousands of hours on Youtube, tweeter and especially here obsessing over it. Every day telling yourself I will get a life and won’t worry about it until I get that email and the next day the first thing you do when you get up is get online to see what is going on. This cult is like a roach motel, you can get in but good luck trying to get out. You have been warned.
Hotel California.
"You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave! "

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Hotel California.
"You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave! "
Well it is not all doom and gloom. Once you get to know folks around here, they grow on you. It becomes more like Hotel Transylvania:

Tesla Cybertruck I am not a truck guy, but i want the Cybertruck....should I get it? 1612735411644

carpedatum

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, R1200RT, 4285 Express
Country flag
i am a truck guy. I have also been a small car guy for reasons similar to yours.

Whenever it seems safe to you, you really ought to go drive a Tesla, IMO. Probably a Model X - that's as big as they come, today. If that doesn't feel like fun, then driving a CT probably won't be fun. Then you can cancel your reservation and stop worrying about it.

Having driven a few Teslas, though, I suspect you'll be astonished at how much fun it is, but not for traditional car-guy reasons (there's certainly no stick, no tach, and no vroom-vroom, as Mazda would put it). Acceleration is fun! Lots of glass is fun! A big bright infotainment screen with internet and games and great audio is fun! Never, ever having to put gasoline in a vehicle is, well, at least a huge relief.

The bigger drawback that I see is that having a truck means finding a place to park the thing, in a world where architects and planners apparently all drive very small cars. My current truck isn't particularly large for just that reason. However I feel comfortable that by the time I can get my hands on a Cybertruck, its driver-assist features for that task will solve, and while finding bigger spaces may mean more walking, I need to do more walking.

Oh, yeah, and then there's the Summon feature, so maybe not much more parking-spot-related exercise after all. Hmmm... with hard stainless steel and no paint, maybe not so many door dings, either.

Last edited:

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I have been watching the CT since its debut and admit I hated the look. But within 48 hours i grew to love it and put in my reservation for a dual motor. But should I actually get this?

Convince me yay or nay.

A little bit about me:
I have always appreciated cars and love cars but i am conservative with my money. So i always have reasonably price cars with good gas mileage. I typically have had small cars, sport sedans and a roadster because I like how they handle and zip around. I have only bought manuals and it is harder to buy a traditional manual now. If I can't buy a manual, then my only other option (in my opinion) is a Tesla for the joy of driving. I am in a better place now and vowed to get myself something out of my comfort level next time.
I work an office job and now with COVID and post COVID, i am a permanent WFH person. So my commute is gone and I rarely drive now, so gas mileage isn't a necessity anymore.

I have always like trucks but couldn't stand the ride quality and the gas efficiencies. Then comes the CT and we know it is efficient. I don't know about the ride and handling until i drive it. I consider myself an amateur handyman for things around my house and my trips to Lowes sucks in my little car. I would like to do more projects and a truck would be handy but a Full size truck maybe overkill. A Tacoma or a Jeep Gladiator would suffice my needs in reality and they both come in manuals.

So do I go all out and get the CT when my turn is up just because I want it? I just love the technology. Sure i can get a model Y but I believe they are basically the same price for the Mid Level trims, so why not just get the CT?

Or do I get a used beater Tacoma or Gladiator for my truck needs and when the $25k Tesla comes out get that for my daily driver and keep up with the small zippy trend? If i find an older Tacoma, the purchase price could net out the same for two cars than one CT.

This is where my head is. Even though it is probably a year out till my turn for a CT is a reality, I am just thinking ahead.
I know asking this question on a CT forum will draw bias opinions but still asking :)

So Yay or Nay?

Thanks in advance
I am a truck guy. I have a 1971 F250 for the grunt work and a 1988 Dakota sport for the longer distance material runs. My wife finally understood what I have been craving when she and I test drove a model Y. We now have a model 3. If you are looking for a truck for small runs, not large projects involving 8' or longer materials, just get the 3 or Y with the fold down seats. I have used my model 3 for this and it works well, think passenger capacity of 200#/person and you have a carrying capacity of over 800# in addition to the car's luggage capacity. I am on the waiting list for a dual motor CT like you. My reasons for the CT are all but "the next cool thing" (I drive a 71 F250). The CT rides like a car, with independent suspension, air suspension, quiet, fast, and confident cornering (low center of gravity). Add to that a payload that is one ton in excess of the F250 rating of 3/4 ton, and a towing capacity that is more than I may ever want. My brother owns a Tundra for his 30' trailer and his fuel economy is barely better than my carburetor fed V8 (F250)so if you choose an I.C.E. truck you will have an MPG below 20 at best no matter what brand you purchase. Just for reference my brother gets 12mpg towing on premium unleaded. He was getting 8mpg with regular unleaded. My truck gets 10mpg on the freeway with one ton of grain in the bed across the blue mountains at 70mph. When I drive my model 3 in the winter (currently) I have to charge twice to get to Portland (270 miles), at the equivalent of $12/charging. I write this to show comparison. The cybertruck should have a longer range than my model 3 and my model 3 (winter) has a range equal to my ford. Tl;dr CT exceptional safety, fully electric, no local CO2/no idle/3x efficiency v I.C.E., comfortable, fully loaded with goodies, entirely comparable range, fully updated regularly, battery life suggested in the millions of miles, exceptionally durable, ridiculously strong.

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
computer scientist
Country flag
I would suggest making a reservation which you can always cancel or keep, depending on the information that comes out before your CT becomes available. The engineering behind Tesla vehicles is phenomenal, but whether the quality of ride matches your preferences is another issue since this truck is being designed for heavy duty usage. I would think that there will be time to try out a CT by the time yours becomes available for delivery since there is a backlog of an estimated 1.2 million orders that could take 2.5-3 years to clear once they start production. I guesstimate this based on the following. Each factory is designed to produce a half million cars per year at best. It takes at least a year until they get up to this level of production. There is currently only one factory planned for producing them, in Texas. If there is still only one factory for making them 2 yrs after they start production, I guesstimate they will have produced about 800,000 of them at best. By 3 yrs, 1,300,000 if they still have only one CT factory. If they have a 2nd CT factory, consider that it can take a year to build, they may make about 300,000 in their 1st year, then 500,000 in their 2nd yr at best, using currently known info I have read.

The Shanghai factory had the fastest completion and ramp-up in production of any Tesla factory yet, they are close to making 500,000 Teslas per year, and they prioritize economic projects over environmental protection, which is different than what is seen in Germany where there is a much stronger set of forces for environmental advocacy with a Green Party, and even though Texas may be perceived as a state with more lax environmental regulations which allow faster building with less environmental protection and more pollution, there are still federal laws that must be followed by virtue of being in the US. I knew someone who worked on the construction of a chip manufacturing plant in China and he said that the air & water pollution were at insanely high levels because environmental protection was not considered that important. It has become more important than it was before, but it is still not the same as in Germany and the US. To give appropriate credit to the Chinese, they have the highest percentage of the world's STEM field graduates with advanced degrees. You can't build a highly technical facility if you can't get the employees to do it, and China has those employees. India is the 2nd best source of STEM advanced degrees, then the US is third. Very very few Tesla-priced cars are sold in India, but India provides extensive expertise in software, mathematics, and engineering like China does.

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
computer scientist
Country flag
I am a truck guy. I have a 1971 F250 for the grunt work and a 1988 Dakota sport for the longer distance material runs. My wife finally understood what I have been craving when she and I test drove a model Y. We now have a model 3. If you are looking for a truck for small runs, not large projects involving 8' or longer materials, just get the 3 or Y with the fold down seats. I have used my model 3 for this and it works well, think passenger capacity of 200#/person and you have a carrying capacity of over 800# in addition to the car's luggage capacity. I am on the waiting list for a dual motor CT like you. My reasons for the CT are all but "the next cool thing" (I drive a 71 F250). The CT rides like a car, with independent suspension, air suspension, quiet, fast, and confident cornering (low center of gravity). Add to that a payload that is one ton in excess of the F250 rating of 3/4 ton, and a towing capacity that is more than I may ever want. My brother owns a Tundra for his 30' trailer and his fuel economy is barely better than my carburetor fed V8 (F250)so if you choose an I.C.E. truck you will have an MPG below 20 at best no matter what brand you purchase. Just for reference my brother gets 12mpg towing on premium unleaded. He was getting 8mpg with regular unleaded. My truck gets 10mpg on the freeway with one ton of grain in the bed across the blue mountains at 70mph. When I drive my model 3 in the winter (currently) I have to charge twice to get to Portland (270 miles), at the equivalent of $12/charging. I write this to show comparison. The cybertruck should have a longer range than my model 3 and my model 3 (winter) has a range equal to my ford. Tl;dr CT exceptional safety, fully electric, no local CO2/no idle/3x efficiency v I.C.E., comfortable, fully loaded with goodies, entirely comparable range, fully updated regularly, battery life suggested in the millions of miles, exceptionally durable, ridiculously strong.
Re: "The CT rides like a car, with independent suspension, air suspension, quiet, fast, and confident cornering (low center of gravity)." Eva Fox writes timely articles on Tesla vehicles and has gotten direct info from Elon. See https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tes...truck-an-ideal-vehicle-for-all-types-of-roads but keep in mind that just because patents have been filed does not mean that will definitely be the way the CT will be produced. Musk has a degree in economics, there are a lot of engineering challenges that must be overcome to achieve the intentions of these patents, and there are cost challenges which may influence CT design by the time you get one in late 2024 or 2025.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Old thread, but I have my own recommendations.

If you have a reservation an RN below 64,000; you will probably hate it and you should cancel your reservation immediately.

If you don’t have a reservation or it’s over 66,000 or so… then you are going to love it. You should totally get a reservation immediately.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Old thread, but I have my own recommendations.

If you have a reservation an RN below 64,000; you will probably hate it and you should cancel your reservation immediately.

If you don’t have a reservation or it’s over 66,000 or so… then you are going to love it. You should totally get a reservation immediately.
@Ogre has the numbers wrong. Below 190,000 definitely cancel. Above 200K, you are golden.

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
@Hootie, ....Every day telling yourself I will get a life and won’t worry about it until I get that email ....
What about the sleepless nights worrying about MISSING thAT EMAIL!!!!
Sponsored