Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mclaren fisker sig fisker Echochic
Country flag
highway speed hit by hard object , I think it was a rock .. very loud bang

I was surprised no dent Just deep scratches .. BFK cleared it in minutes
The picture before and after
Tesla Cybertruck I don’t think you need  PPF protection. The steel panels  hard to damage IMG_6864

Tesla Cybertruck I don’t think you need  PPF protection. The steel panels  hard to damage IMG_6872
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I think people considering PPF are aware that things can buff out

The concerns instead I think are about too frequently - for their aesthetic tastes - needing to buff out the stainless against staining/fingerprints/scratches

Just like I know my expensive stainless kitchen pans *could* gleam like new if I used BKF ever time I cooked

espresso-drumbeat

First Name
Espresso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
The concerns instead I think are about too frequently - for their aesthetic tastes - needing to buff out the stainless against staining/fingerprints/scratches
Exactly! I love the appearance, the color, the feel and was not planning to PPF or vinyl my truck but smudges and fingerprints from literally everyone touching it is becoming more challenging to live with.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
PPF wrapping mine is more personal preference than anything. I want my truck to look different than anything else out there and choosing a PPF film/color is part of that process. Nothing but love to those who want to leave it “au naturel” because that’s also personal preference.

It’ll be nice to see how the 2024 ss holds up and what it looks like being in different environments in the next 5 years. I bet they’ll all look pretty unique.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Exactly! I love the appearance, the color, the feel and was not planning to PPF or vinyl my truck but smudges and fingerprints from literally everyone touching it is becoming more challenging to live with.
I bought a roll of PPF for the door edge for the area most frequently prone to fingerprints. Of course, it is for a future Cybertruck I have reserved but not even ordered :)

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Agree that the PPF is not needed for protection, but SOMETHING is needed for fingerprints IMO. Lot of other/cheaper options out there.

OP
OP

smggsm

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mclaren fisker sig fisker Echochic
Country flag
I agree, you will lose the appearance and the feel. that steel really hard not easy to damage.
I used the 3M STEEL CLEANER AND POLISH helped a lot.

Cybertruck26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR
Occupation
Engineer, Space nerd
Country flag
PPF wrapping mine is more personal preference than anything. I want my truck to look different than anything else out there and choosing a PPF film/color is part of that process. Nothing but love to those who want to leave it “au naturel” because that’s also personal preference.

It’ll be nice to see how the 2024 ss holds up and what it looks like being in different environments in the next 5 years. I bet they’ll all look pretty unique.
PPF= Personal Preference Film ;)

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
This after 2nd polish....
IMG_6870.jpeg
That cleaned up real nice!

I took a loud hit from a large road object on the front edge of the hood on my Model 3 Performance on a recent road trip to Montana. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out as well as your impact!

I was on I-90 in the mountains of Montana going 85 mph and saw a large object spin up off the road coming right at me. There was no time to dodge it (although I involuntary crouched a bit behind the steering wheel as it hit). I think it was an industrial sized bolt with a nut threaded halfway on it. Fortunately, it hit my hood and front plastic cowl and not my windshield. It bounced off the hood/cowl area, making a scary sound, almost like a handgun shot, and flew up and over my windshield. This is the first road damage (dent) my 6-year-old car has taken besides normal tiny rock chips (and the first impact to gouge down to bare metal). It also gouged down to the black plastic of the front cowl.

Tesla Cybertruck I don’t think you need  PPF protection. The steel panels  hard to damage 1708471840322

It'll probably be cheaper to bondo it, or replace the entire hood and paint to match because it's on the leading edge of the hood and access to the backside of the dent is limited by the underlying hood structure. Even if paintless dent repair would work, it would still need to be repainted. If this were a regular mild steel hood, the orange ugliness would have already started!

I wish I was in a Cybertruck, that probably could have taken the bolt right on the front of the hood with no dent. Or on the windshield and maybe only left a tiny scar, without propogating cracks. Nice that you were able to buff yours right out!

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
This after 2nd polish....
IMG_6870.jpeg
Love it! Thanks for sharing. Do you think this type of damage could have caused a small dent if it was not stainless steel?

All insurance claims for me have been only for small dents! I’m hoping CT will save me on the insurance for minor dents.