I don’t think you need PPF protection. The steel panels hard to damage

Carmino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Cybertruck Foundation AWD
PPF wrapping mine is more personal preference than anything. I want my truck to look different than anything else out there and choosing a PPF film/color is part of that process. Nothing but love to those who want to leave it “au naturel” because that’s also personal preference.

It’ll be nice to see how the 2024 ss holds up and what it looks like being in different environments in the next 5 years. I bet they’ll all look pretty unique.
At the current rate, having a non-wrapped CT will be the unique option. :p
Sponsored

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I think people considering PPF are aware that things can buff out

The concerns instead I think are about too frequently - for their aesthetic tastes - needing to buff out the stainless against staining/fingerprints/scratches

Just like I know my expensive stainless kitchen pans *could* gleam like new if I used BKF ever time I cooked
If I see BKF one more time lol

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
Chert, or a diamond or hard stone on a persons ring come to mind as things that can scratch the Stainless surface. Also, the rivets on the back pockets of Levi jeans might... They are very hard and can certainly scratch 304 anyway.

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
Chert, or a diamond or hard stone on a persons ring come to mind as things that can scratch the Stainless surface. Also, the rivets on the back pockets of Levi jeans might... They are very hard and can certainly scratch 304 anyway.
Dang! Shelling out 100K was not good enough; Now I have to wear 100% cotton yoga pants around CT.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
The rivets on Levis are too soft to leave a scratch on the Cybertruck. 304 stainless is much softer than Tesla's hard frickin' steel!

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yes I know, but have seen it happen on work hardened stainless that has been knuckled. The HFS process would be similar. So what I've seen may be from stainless rivets in clothing. I was hopping it would be as hard as A7 but that appears to not be the case. Do we have an exact Mohs hardness number yet? But regardless, chert rock is everywhere. And a PPF would protect against such scratches.

I do own an industrial tester, so eventually will find out the exact hardness. By now I already know it will be less than 7.

Last edited:

countryboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 | Cybertruck FS AWD
Country flag
Agree that the PPF is not needed for protection, but SOMETHING is needed for fingerprints IMO. Lot of other/cheaper options out there.
But, is it? I'm thinking the first 2 weeks of CT ownership is stopping in populated areas and letting EVERYONE touch it, all over. Goal: even fingerprint distribution across the entire truck. Consider it fingerprint camo. New fingerprints don't stand a chance of being noticed! Just be careful washing not to remove the even coating.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
If I see BKF one more time lol

this already strange saga only getting more strange, e.g.:

fanboi: “stainless panels mean that *real* trucks won’t get scratches, dents, or look messy, and won’t need fussy maintenance like paint does”

my grandfather: “since when did *real* truck people care so much about all that?”

fanboi: “but this is the future, where real-real truck people are wiser”

CT recipient: “actually the stainless is kind of fussy afterall, especially aesthetics-wise - but regular application of BKF keeps it fresh, like your pots and pans”

fanboi: “but why bother, real truck people don’t care if their truck is rough looking, it’s called patina, and it’s beautiful”

my grandfather: *squints at fanboi*

OP
OP

smggsm

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mclaren fisker sig fisker Echochic
Country flag
Love it! Thanks for sharing. Do you think this type of damage could have caused a small dent if it was not stainless steel?

All insurance claims for me have been only for small dents! I’m hoping CT will save me on the insurance for minor dents.
I think so .. it's really hard to damage.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
According to Levi Jeans, their jean rivets are made of copper. Copper has a Mohs harness of around 2.5-3.0 and can't even come close to scratching the hardened stainless steel the Cybertruck is made of. Spreading fud about Levis scratching Cybertruck is ridiculous. Levi's don't even have rivets on the back pockets since the 1960's. Because they were scratching wood furniture.

Yes, a diamond ring can scratch the Cybertruck, diamonds can scratch anything below 10 on the hardness scale. Which is pretty much everything else.

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
According to Levi Jeans, their jean rivets are made of copper. Copper has a Mohs harness of around 2.5-3.0 and can't even come close to scratching the hardened stainless steel the Cybertruck is made of. Spreading fud about Levis scratching Cybertruck is ridiculous. Levi's don't even have rivets on the back pockets since the 1960's. Because they were scratching wood furniture.

Yes, a diamond ring can scratch the Cybertruck, diamonds can scratch anything below 10 on the hardness scale. Which is pretty much everything else.
I'm also talking about chert, not diamonds. 7 is the number I think it likely doesn't obtain. Levi was an example of rivets in clothing, but the point is that clothing does sometimes have rivets, zippers, etc. Do you have any actual experience with this or are you just googling hardness and are full of Tesla FUD?

countryboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 | Cybertruck FS AWD
Country flag
I'm also talking about chert, not diamonds. 7 is the number I think it likely doesn't obtain. Levi was an example of rivets in clothing, but the point is that clothing does sometimes have rivets, zippers, etc. Do you have any actual experience with this or are you just googling hardness and are full of Tesla FUD?
Sir, do you know what FUD is? They are saying not to worry about jeans rivets.. that is the opposite of FUD. Actually, you were making unfounded claims about how those things WILL scratch, without any real proof. Also claimed you KNOW it will be hardness under 7, with no proof. Essentially saying that until we have proof they don't scratch, we should live in fear of that being a possibility - FUD.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, your point was that the rivets on Levi's could scratch the Cybertruck. It's false. The rivets can't even scratch glass and glass is significantly softer than the hardened steel the Cybertruck panels are made with. The only FUD being propagated here is yours.

FYI, "FUD" stands for "fear, uncertainty and doubt" and "FYI" stands for "For Your Information".
Sponsored