Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
People need to realize that the Cybertruck is a budget vehicle.

Everything in this car, from the way the frame is made, to the stainless steel, to the dash layout, even the vault cover... all of it is built the way it's built to keep costs down. If you are ever wondering why something is done the way it is on the Cybertruck, it's probably a cost saving measure in some way.

The console is a common, off-the-shelf console. Doing some kind of special in-dash speedo is likely a custom part which is going to more than double the cost of the current console. (Likely having 2 consoles would be more like 3-4 times more expensive).
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
- The argument that CT will only have a single centre screen because of its starting price has always been a strange one - the cost of 2 additional displays and supporting hardware is relatively inexpensive due to scale.
This same argument can be made for any of a 1000 decisions made when making a vehicle like this all the way back to the cyberpunk/ triangle shape. Rear view mirrors being missing? It means they can put smaller batteries on it. Not very much smaller, but a little bit. Each of those choices drops weight, drops price a little bit.

1000s of choices like this one is why the Ford is much more expensive than the CT while being slower and having less range.

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
People need to realize that the Cybertruck is a budget vehicle.

Everything in this car, from the way the frame is made, to the stainless steel, to the dash layout, even the vault cover... all of it is built the way it's built to keep costs down. If you are ever wondering why something is done the way it is on the Cybertruck, it's probably a cost saving measure in some way.

The console is a common, off-the-shelf console. Doing some kind of special in-dash speedo is likely a custom part which is going to more than double the cost of the current console. (Likely having 2 consoles would be more like 3-4 times more expensive).
A lot of cost assumptions here without seeing the final CT design.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I wish Musk would consider a new model name for his next project speedster called “Nightmare”
This would be amazing!!!

black Unicorn mythology says

Black Unicorns are symbols of power, freedom, and the warrior spirit. I think it would be flipn BAD ASS!! ?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A lot of cost assumptions here without seeing the final CT design.
Not really.

We know it's going to have an exoskeleton, stainless steel, single console, yoke steering (likely no stalks), cameras instead of mirrors.... all of these are cost/ weight/ aerodynamic optimizations. Structural batteries? 4860 batteries? Weight & cost reductions.

This is what Tesla *does*, they optimize the hell out of everything.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just wanted to say, thank you for your service! Thank you for keeping us safe and our liberties protected! You rock! I grew up a military brat. My father retired after 20 years of service. He passed away in 17. He had an amazing burial at sea. I miss him very much and appreciate his sacrifice he gave day in and day out to my family and to our Country. I remember when I was a boy how hard it was saying goodbye to him when he had to leave for 6 months, but saying goodbye when he closed his eyes for the last time was seriously tough. I will always hold him and any serviceman and woman close to my heart who is or has served. I lived it. I know how hard it was on him and loved ones. They just don’t make them like they use to sir. Just had to share.
Guess you caught me at the right moment ?. Hope I did not offend.

Have a good night Sir?
happy intruder…. Cool name btw
no, thank you for remembering and sharing...My Father was a Commander in the Navy during WWII.....he flew airplanes.....when he joined the Navy, marines came out and had the count off....if you were an odd number in the first 25, you became a Marine....Dad was 24.....

When I graduated from college, I tried to join the Navy but was declined by the officer selection group...A EE from Ga Tech and I got rejected from the same place my father joined....

I went to take my army physical right before graduation, and saw a friend from high school who was joining the marines....I asked dhow and went to see the recruiter...The Marines gave me 180 days to graduate and then off to Perris Island.....

On Sunday night, just 2 weeks after the Navy turned me down, two officers came to my house asking to speak with me....Mom and dad let then in....I listened to their speech and when they finished, I asked but one question: "are you here because you did some research and found out that my father was a highly decorated Navy captain during the war"?....they turned whiter than their uniform.....they were embarrassed when I said I wanted to do things on my own without help from my dad's reputation

Well, I just told them I had decided to join the Marine Corps reserve and they let me finish school.....I did just that....graduated on 6 Jun and off to Perris Island on 26 Jun......while there, they beat the shit out of me because o was a college grad and when I finished up, I won the dress blues, promoted to PFC and was asked to go to OCS.....after completing A and B school in Memphis, I applied to OCS and flight school.....was accepted and went to Pensacola for flight school.....

Long story short.....went from Private to Colonel and enjoyed my marine life....raised a family and had a good civilian career as well.....I saw many of my friends from school over the years, some have died ....and some were killed while serving....we remember them always....

thank to for thanking me.....it means a lot

BTW: happy intruder was the nick name for our A6 aircraft......the Russians hated it because it was a long range nuclear attack aircraft......Known as the A6 Intruder....we could penetrate deeper; linger longer; and drop a bigger load.......so my call sign is Happy........I use Happy Intruder as my user name...

sorry for being ling winded.....you got me at a good time too....take care my friend.....my Father passed away in 2008....I miss him every day.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
There's no visual difference to changing your focus and looking over your right arm to changing your focus and looking down through the steering column.

Either way, your eyes are off the road.

-Crissa

PS, I don't care about the instrument cluster. After realizing I was wearing my arms out trying to put the steering wheel where I could see them, I gave up and the wheel now blocks the speed, cruise, and high beam icons. The ones I always care about glancing at.

That my speedo is now reading up to 5% higher than my driving speed is annoying enough so I don't watch it anymore, either. I use the GPS speed on the Navi to my lower right instead.
Not really.

We know it's going to have an exoskeleton, stainless steel, single console, yoke steering (likely no stalks), cameras instead of mirrors.... all of these are cost/ weight/ aerodynamic optimizations. Structural batteries? 4860 batteries? Weight & cost reductions.

This is what Tesla *does*, they optimize the hell out of everything.
We will have to agree to disagree on a couple of things. You make it sound like Tesla is too cheap to make design modifications on the dash simply because of cost. I believe function and design come out ahead of cost at Tesla. The whole design concept of EV vs ICE cars never was based on being cheaper, at least at the start.

Also I am not sure if the stainless body even meets the initial definition of exoskeleton initially described with the total design change of possibly 2 large casting connected a structural battery in between. It is closer to a strong body on fame. No longer an exoskeleton to which suspension, wheel, motors, and battery is attached to directly to the body.

They are designing a number things into the CT that could be done cheaper. The recent announcement of rear wheel steering doesn’t reduce costs. Air suspension is not cheap. Cameras instead of mirrors still need Federal and State approval, are not cheaper than mirrors.

I think we are all going to be pleasantly surprised at the final CT design, as Elon keeps telling us. Mods wil be based on function and coolness, not cost.

Changing the shape of the dash touch screen from a vertical rectangle to a longer horizontal rectangle isn’t a costly design change.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
We will have to agree to disagree on a couple of things. You make it sound like Tesla is too cheap to make design modifications on the dash simply because of cost. I believe function and design come out ahead of cost at Tesla. The whole design concept of EV vs ICE cars never was based on being cheaper, at least at the start.
Not so.

I think the Cybertruck is budget laser focused on utility.

The Model S and Model X are luxury products.

The Model Y and Model 3 are somewhere between.

There is a big difference between all of these products. The truck is designed to be a utility (and rec) vehicle. It is the first Tesla vehicle designed to be competitively priced with it's non EV peers.

Also I am not sure if the stainless body even meets the initial definition of exoskeleton initially described with the total design change of possibly 2 large casting connected a structural battery in between. It is closer to a strong body on fame. No longer an exoskeleton to which suspension, wheel, motors, and battery is attached to directly to the body.

They are designing a number things into the CT that could be done cheaper. The recent announcement of rear wheel steering doesn’t reduce costs. Air suspension is not cheap.
Maybe using the word budget wasn't a great choice.

The Cybertruck is a utility vehicle. Everything serves a purpose and if it doesn't serve an explicit purpose, it's been cut. What you are talking about are core functions of the vehicle.

Cameras instead of mirrors still need Federal and State approval, are not cheaper than mirrors.
You are thinking about this wrong. If you cut out the mirrors, you increase range without adding batteries. If your goal is a 300 mile range and a 500 mile range, it's cheaper to get there without mirrors than with them. It's less weight, less drag, lower costs.

I think we are all going to be pleasantly surprised at the final CT design, as Elon keeps telling us. Mods wil be based on function and coolness, not cost.
If you don't think cost management is one of the primary concerns of the Cybertruck, you haven't been paying attention. There are 3 big goals here.

1 - Beat everyone on Price
2 - Become the #1 best selling truck
3 - Profit.... PROFIT!!

Musk has promised a LOT of truck for not a ton of money. The way he gets there is by making things as efficiently as possible. That doesn't mean "Cheap", that means every part serves 2-3 purposes. Parts are interchangeable between models. Weight is trimmed everywhere. Aerodynamics is a huge concern. It also means redundant parts get left on the cutting floor. A second display is about as redundant as you can get.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I believe function and design come out ahead of cost at Tesla.
Sorry for 2 replies to 1 post, but I kind if misread your top post. This image you show is not functionally better than Tesla's.

Having a 5" tall display greatly constrains the size of the map and pretty much everything else.

Compare the tiny bare bones map on the BMW to this map on the Tesla (I stole this image). You have a big... 10" square map here. You can also read the directions (even with my crap eyes), on the BMW screen you might fit 2 lines of directions. You have a nice big image of the car with big tappable areas for each door/ latch/ etc. By shrinking this down to a 6" tall bar, you greatly compromise the usefulness of the display.

Tesla Cybertruck I wish Musk would consider this concept iu-4

The Model S having this display plus a smaller one is more useful. Having a skinny strip, not so much. Just squeezing the map onto that tiny strip is a no go for me.

Tesla Cybertruck I wish Musk would consider this concept 1625838411438

Look at how terrible that map is too!

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
You are adding an awfully lot between the lines about things that I never said or implied In this post and are expounding widely to make an argument against a second display and it costing too much, which was never really the point.

First thing this morning I am going out and ripping off my outside mirrors so I can get 5 more mils per gallon.

And all this jibber jab about a 10” wide screen being superior…..then make the horizontal screed 10” high, move it a few inch deeper into the dash, right up to the windshields bottom.…..problem solved. that way you are not looking at your foot when you are reading the bottom of the screen, like a model S screen, while driving. Hell it could even be the same screen just flip it on its side and make it a few inches wider.

Often when I make a very simple post I feel like Rosanna Rosanna Dana is making responses……..never mind….?? Or I am disrupting someone playing video games in the basement of their parents home…..??

Last edited:

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
no, thank you for remembering and sharing...My Father was a Commander in the Navy during WWII.....he flew airplanes.....when he joined the Navy, marines came out and had the count off....if you were an odd number in the first 25, you became a Marine....Dad was 24.....

When I graduated from college, I tried to join the Navy but was declined by the officer selection group...A EE from Ga Tech and I got rejected from the same place my father joined....

I went to take my army physical right before graduation, and saw a friend from high school who was joining the marines....I asked dhow and went to see the recruiter...The Marines gave me 180 days to graduate and then off to Perris Island.....

On Sunday night, just 2 weeks after the Navy turned me down, two officers came to my house asking to speak with me....Mom and dad let then in....I listened to their speech and when they finished, I asked but one question: "are you here because you did some research and found out that my father was a highly decorated Navy captain during the war"?....they turned whiter than their uniform.....they were embarrassed when I said I wanted to do things on my own without help from my dad's reputation

Well, I just told them I had decided to join the Marine Corps reserve and they let me finish school.....I did just that....graduated on 6 Jun and off to Perris Island on 26 Jun......while there, they beat the shit out of me because o was a college grad and when I finished up, I won the dress blues, promoted to PFC and was asked to go to OCS.....after completing A and B school in Memphis, I applied to OCS and flight school.....was accepted and went to Pensacola for flight school.....

Long story short.....went from Private to Colonel and enjoyed my marine life....raised a family and had a good civilian career as well.....I saw many of my friends from school over the years, some have died ....and some were killed while serving....we remember them always....

thank to for thanking me.....it means a lot

BTW: happy intruder was the nick name for our A6 aircraft......the Russians hated it because it was a long range nuclear attack aircraft......Known as the A6 Intruder....we could penetrate deeper; linger longer; and drop a bigger load.......so my call sign is Happy........I use Happy Intruder as my user name...

sorry for being ling winded.....you got me at a good time too....take care my friend.....my Father passed away in 2008....I miss him every day.....

?No, no, you are not by any means long winded. This is by far a very wonderful heartfelt read. ? Thank you sooo much for sharing happy intruder.
Made my day for sure. Shoot, made my year sir. After my father’s retirement from the navy, he did civilian work for the Navy and retired from this as well. Good memories there because my father got to make up for lost time. Moments that I just can’t express in words truly. We were able to go on many Pheasant ,Dove, and quail hunts together while on his off time from maintaining huge microwaves for our Navy ships.
He was amazing and taught me soo much. But, I have my moments like you caught me. This by far was healing is so many ways.

Scotty McCreery “five more minutes”
Have a wonderful day happy intruder?.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
First thing this morning I am going out and ripping off my outside mirrors so I can get 5 more mils per gallon.
... then make the horizontal screed 10” high, move it a few inch deeper into the dash, right up to the windshields bottom ...
You might want to prepare yourself for the fact that the Cybertruck might not be the truck you want. There is a pretty big disconnect between what you think the Cybertruck ought to be and the goals of the people making it.

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
I have had a HUD in my corvettes for years and it’s a real asset.
I can display critical info such as MPH, some gps info and other system functions.
I don’t have to look down to the dash or take my eyes off the road at all.
would love to see HUD on cybertruck.
Sponsored