Ideas where the charge port will be on the Cybertruck?

Heleuma

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-5, Ford Transit
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Country flag
Hi:) I'm reconfiguring my driveway and doing some electrical work so I figured it would be a good time to set up a charging station. Does anyone have a decent idea where the charge port will be located on the CT? I checked the previous post and didn't see that this has come up, but sorry if it's been covered.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Heleuma

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-5, Ford Transit
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Country flag
Without knowing the final design, most likely ..
1626868318805.png
I thought I saw an image with the same port on the other side as well, so I got confused. Thanks!!

Allan

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi:) I'm reconfiguring my driveway and doing some electrical work so I figured it would be a good time to set up a charging station. Does anyone have a decent idea where the charge port will be located on the CT? I checked the previous post and didn't see that this has come up, but sorry if it's been covered.
Should be move to behind the passenger door. Where it is now is the first place to start rusting because of salt from the roads.

Lasttoy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 S. CT ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Excuse me, stainless steel doesn't rust. I will bet it where the one is now because all of us current owners have our cables wired into or homes in a certain place to charge our cars now. We aren't going to re wire our houses. Especially if we have more than one Tesla.

ThomasG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Subaru Forester
Country flag
Stainless steel can indeed rust. It depends on the alloy as to how rust resistant it is. I once spent a day with a police marine unit and their stainless steel weapons rusted from the salt spray. Sweat also caused them to rust. The lab grade stainless sinks we used in the olden days of yore to develop photos would also rust under the constant soaking of acetic and base chemicals. Some alloys are much more resistant than others and we will have to wait and see what gets used on the CT.

Excuse me, stainless steel doesn't rust. I will bet it where the one is now because all of us current owners have our cables wired into or homes in a certain place to charge our cars now. We aren't going to re wire our houses. Especially if we have more than one Tesla.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
I rewired both my house and barn specifically for EV charging.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Stainless steel can indeed rust. It depends on the alloy as to how rust resistant it is. I once spent a day with a police marine unit and their stainless steel weapons rusted from the salt spray. Sweat also caused them to rust. The lab grade stainless sinks we used in the olden days of yore to develop photos would also rust under the constant soaking of acetic and base chemicals. Some alloys are much more resistant than others and we will have to wait and see what gets used on the CT.
What we know:
-CT to use the same stainless as Starship, reportedly some version of 304L
-304 is already one of the more corrosion resistant alloys of stainless, but as above Space X will be tweaking the alloy
-Starship to be launching from seaports (repurposed oil derricks)
Assumption:
-With reusability key it does make sense that they'll want something fairly corrosion resistant if operating from marine environment.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Stainless does, of course, rust or rather stain if it isn't maintained and if it is exposed to conditions adverse for the particular alloy. "Maintaining" will probably mean no more than keeping chloride from road salt and, near the ocean, the air off which can be done with a hose and, if it's a bad road salt area, an car under body water.

I will bet it [will be]where the one is now because all of us current owners have our cables wired into or homes in a certain place to charge our cars now. We aren't going to re wire our houses. Especially if we have more than one Tesla.
If it moves from the driver's to passenger's side the current EVSE locations are fine as the other side is easily reached though it wouldn't be as convenient (cable would have to be taken off reel and replaced". If it moved from back to front that would still apply if it stayed on the same side. Probably wouldn't reach if it went to the other side.

No. I would not rewire for any of these. If it went to passenger front I'd just back in.

Last edited:

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Its probably going to be where it is on all the other Teslas i.e. drivers side rear.
And what kind of 240v receptacle (for about 30 amps) do I tell the electrician to install?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
And what kind of 240v receptacle (for about 30 amps) do I tell the electrician to install?
For 30A you'd want a NEMA 14-30R. But don't do that unless you already have a 30 amp circut pulled to the spot. If you are going to pull a new circuit pull No. 6 behind a 50A breaker and install a NEMA 14-50R. That is probably the most popular as there are many EVSE ("chargers") that will plug into it.
Sponsored