Don B.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
It may be worth asking why you were afraid of it?
Being around electronics and electrical connectors for over 50 years, I've learned that water and electricity don't mix. And water isn't great for metal parts either. And I realize a lot of people are saying that their charge ports have gotten wet and everything still works, but that doesn't mean that it's okay for the charge port bits to get wet. There's clearly a gasket on the inside of the charge port door, and a mating gasket on the body, and this is meant to keep water out. So when I saw water droplets in there, I simply asked why.
Sponsored

Tiberius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Country flag
Being around electronics and electrical connectors for over 50 years, I've learned that water and electricity don't mix. And water isn't great for metal parts either. And I realize a lot of people are saying that their charge ports have gotten wet and everything still works, but that doesn't mean that it's okay for the charge port bits to get wet. There's clearly a gasket on the inside of the charge port door, and a mating gasket on the body, and this is meant to keep water out. So when I saw water droplets in there, I simply asked why.
Understandable, thankfully the plug design and charging standard doesn't require it to be waterproof and really does allow for it to be used in rain.
The charge cover gasket isn't really there to make it waterproof, more to stop major crud from getting in there while driving.
Once the cover opens the plug is still safe to use even while delivering 200kW during a rainstorm.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Maybe that's why their are drain ports in the socket?
Sponsored