Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I very much think there IS a holding yard in Houston, and that's not Teslas yard. It's pretty normal. Is there a second press in Texas right now?

no.
I completely agree that there is a second foundation for a second 9K ton gigapress. All I said is that It isn’t in the factory, in Texas, or likely even on a ship as IDRA has said there are only 2 so far and we know where they are.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I did say they snuck 2 in. As in they snuck them onto the premises… not into one area which could be conveniently photographed from a window.

I’m speculating, I made it pretty clear what the basis for my speculation is.

Optimist : The glass is half full
Pessimist : The glass is half empty
@Jhodgesatmb : I knocked the glass off the table… now it’s a bunch of shards and water.
They deliver shipments to the factory that will use them. Paint stuff to the paint factory, cell stuff to the cell factory, stamping stuff to the stamping factory, but for @Ogre they will deliver gigapress stuff anywhere :) you have special influence man!

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Not at all. It’s just how I see this particular situation (and not as a conspiracy). I think the government has acted stupidly wrt Tesla all year, or more, and I am ashamed of them (and wrote them a letter saying so). The government clearly made a decision to ignore the EPA designations of SUVs. That is fact. These new prices are also fact. What is conjecture is that it is because of lagging demand when sales numbers are in record territory.

[/QUOTlagging demandE]
Not at all. It’s just how I see this particular situation (and not as a conspiracy). I think the government has acted stupidly wrt Tesla all year, or more, and I am ashamed of them (and wrote them a letter saying so). The government clearly made a decision to ignore the EPA designations of SUVs. That is fact. These new prices are also fact. What is conjecture is that it is because of lagging demand when sales numbers are in record territory.
lagging demand has been the short seller fetish and legacy wish since Teslas inception.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
How many 9 ton will depend on how many Cybertrucks Tesla thinks it will sell.

If it truly has over a million outstanding orders, and if hypothetically it receives 250,000 new orders per year, we have to get them done. Even if it means installing 4 casting machines.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
They deliver shipments to the factory that will use them. Paint stuff to the paint factory, cell stuff to the cell factory, stamping stuff to the stamping factory, but for @Ogre they will deliver gigapress stuff anywhere :) you have special influence man!
Why on earth would they ever have all of the parts in this one room? Just so the drone operators can capture them?

Maybe you should put in a request for Elon to pose next to the stack as well?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
How many 9 ton will depend on how many Cybertrucks Tesla thinks it will sell.

If it truly has over a million outstanding orders, and if hypothetically it receives 250,000 new orders per year, we have to get them done. Even if it means installing 4 casting machines.
Half a million a year run rate by the end of 2024 is my guess. They can convert the lines into something else if demand slacks off, but I don’t think it will.

Tesla values volume over margins. Tesla isn’t trying to be the best selling electric truck, they are shooting for being the best selling truck.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Hey now… you are harshing my buzz here.

Tesla is clearly prepping for a second GP. It’s either mixed in with the other deliveries or will delivered as they are wrapping this one up. They don’t pour foundations for these “just in case”.
They also don't pour them because they are imminent in the next two weeks. It's most likely they were doing the foundation for the first one, already locked down the floor plan for the second one and killed two birds with one stone cause they had time to get both done together and save money on labor doing it all at once as opposed to their typical piecemeal construction planning so far at Austin. They are far enough in their site development that they can now optimize construction labor and do similar projects in proximity at once, thus being more financially and labor efficient.

Having watched the videos just like everyone else, the one thing that always strikes me as wasteful in both instances is the constant "build an area up" then months later "tear same section up, reconfigure and rebuild". I understand it up to this point because their plans are fluid enough and they can afford the waste.. But they are now in a refining stage of construction with finalizing that building for the initial intentions of what they said this factory would produce/output. It makes sense at this point they would now do two press bases at the same time right next to each other, when they don't expect one of them for months or even another year.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Having watched the videos just like everyone else, the one thing that always strikes me as wasteful in both instances is the constant "build an area up" then months later "tear same section up, reconfigure and rebuild". I understand it up to this point because their plans are fluid enough and they can afford the waste.. But they are now in a refining stage of construction with finalizing that building for the initial intentions of what they said this factory would produce/output. It makes sense at this point they would now do two press bases at the same time right next to each other, when they don't expect one of them for months or even another year.
Good point. I have reflected on it !!!! lol

From our perspective at first glance, it looks like they are fixing mistakes.

It served to get the main building up as fast as possible, and a production line was started as fast as possible.

External modifications just parallel the internal final layouts and production ramp.

What gets me is the expense of sealing the loading bay with concrete panels... boxing out with timber would have been easier.... BUT..... I notice they do everything top notch... I guess everything is being done at commercial standard with no shortcuts.

I was scratching my head when they made the south end parking lot,.. only to see it tipped up already for the expansion... another lesson that production is of higher value than ripping concrete.

To add, the concrete costs would be small fry compared to delaying the factory for even a week.

I guess, another company with KPI's and managers covering their asses would have gone about things the traditional way.

I think we are watching Tesla speed in action.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
They also don't pour them because they are imminent in the next two weeks. It's most likely they were doing the foundation for the first one, already locked down the floor plan for the second one and killed two birds with one stone cause they had time to get both done together and save money on labor doing it all at once as opposed to their typical piecemeal construction planning so far at Austin. They are far enough in their site development that they can now optimize construction labor and do similar projects in proximity at once, thus being more financially and labor efficient.

Lets not forget that they put in 4 6K ton fou dations when they only had 2 6K ton machines. Also, you cannot dig up the floor and also deliver gigapress machine components for assembly...you need a place, as we can see, to put those components. Before the Mori machines arrived and were put in place they had that space but no longer.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
I think they just will NOT have space in there once the 9kt is fired up, to flex around and tear up floors again. In fact, next press will probably have some things sit outside for a period of time even, because it’s getting a little tight.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think they just will NOT have space in there once the 9kt is fired up, to flex around and tear up floors again. In fact, next press will probably have some things sit outside for a period of time even, because it’s getting a little tight.
It would help if they could get the second 9K in before the first one goes operational but it is unlikely. I hope it does, but we do not know if they are even making one, and once made it takes a month to assemble, another month to disassemble and crate, and another month [at least] to ship it. It is very unlikely it will take 3 months to get the current 9K operational. So as you say, they will likely have to store the parts outside and bring them in one at a time. Luckily they still have a large door and space at the far end where there are no foundations, and they have the large door and an aisle on the east side, with a little space there as well. But it will definitely be getting tight inside.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I did say they snuck 2 in. As in they snuck them onto the premises… not into one area which could be conveniently photographed from a window.

I’m speculating, I made it pretty clear what the basis for my speculation is.

Optimist : The glass is half full
Pessimist : The glass is half empty
@Jhodgesatmb : I knocked the glass off the table… now it’s a bunch of shards and water.
Who said anything about water? I need my glass half full of something a little stronger while I resist all these ev trucks and hold out for the cybertruck like the main character In a bad anime.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The problem with pouring those foundations early is, well, sometimes you have to break them up. No one has cast with an IDRA 9K gigapress before. The next one might need some unforeseen buttress that isn't in the original. Then you have to tear it down and do it again.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Who said anything about water? I need my glass half full of something a little stronger while I resist all these ev trucks and hold out for the cybertruck like the main character In a bad anime.
Well then it’s even worse if it’s shattered on the floor broken.

cybrtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram3500
Country flag
Well this is great news- thanks to the photographer!
Sponsored