If you want an BEV truck quickly, Rivian is the way to go.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Very shrewd, steer the populace towards Rivian, and each Cybertruck reservation that gets cancelled as a result brings your queue closer. Not today, Satan.
I'm not far enough back where that will make too much difference.

I should get my car ~6-7 months after Cybertruck launches. Rivian has a year+ of pre-orders already. I doubt anyone who orders a Rivian today is getting their truck before I get mine.
Sponsored

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag

I should get my car ~6-7 months after Cybertruck launches. Rivian has a year+ of pre-orders already. I doubt anyone who orders a Rivian today is getting their truck before I get mine.
93.1% of my posts are made to invoke laughter. This was one of them.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag

Shotgun!

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
93.1% of my posts are made to invoke laughter. This was one of them.
Satan and I are fairly easy to tell apart so clearly your post was jest.

Satan is pretty metro and I let my facial hair grow out so much my COVID shag is confused for a beard. Satan sharpens his horns, with a file. I just sort of rub them against trees when they get itchy.

Also, even though everyone portrays Satan as red, it's more of a pink. Not easily confused with my greenish flesh.

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
According to the following link, the CT and Rivian are actually the same width. The CT is 14" longer. and 3.5" taller, with 2" more ground clearance. Not sure where those numbers come from but, if true, I don't see why the CT would perform worse than the Rivian in difficult offroad situations like those seen in the videos.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/tesla-cybertruck-vs-rivian-r1t/#:~:text=The Rivian R1T measures 217,comes to width and height.
I wasn't comparing it to the Rivian. I was asked why I didn't think it would work in Moab...

And all the Rivian glam shots and vids don't have much to do with the trails and off-roading I am referring to... What kind of CT owner are you going to be?

SS

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I wasn't comparing it to the Rivian. I was asked why I didn't think it would work in Moab...

And all the Rivian glam shots and vids don't have much to do with the trails and off-roading I am referring to... What kind of CT owner are you going to be?

SS
A sad and lonely one till I get mine delivered. After that we’ll see, depending on how awesome my CT turns out to be.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

SS
Hi Stacy, You definitely have way more knowledge and experience in these matters. So, I thought I'd pick your brain.
I would think most people would want a short wheelbase Off road capable vehicle over ANY pick-up (including a Gladiator) for scrambling around in Moab. But that makes me think, how would the CT, Rivian, and Gladiator stack up.
I would think the long wheelbase of the CT would be the biggest issue. You mention additional width being a problem, is that just because of brush raking the sides of a vehicle? I would think additional width has advantages in stability and making it much harder to tip a vehicle.

I personally doubt I will the type of owner who will do any challenging rock crawling. I see the possibility of doing serious damage to an expensive vehicle, being something I would avoid. I do like the idea of being able to access back country areas and taking DIRT roads less traveled as being something I look forward to doing with my CT.

Another thing, I see all these videos of people drag racing their Tesla Plaids, and it makes me wonder it EV's have a major advantage over ICE vehicles, in that when you push a vehicle that is Electric it doesn't break down and require service nearly as much as a vehicle that is mechanical and has way more mechanical parts?

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I personally doubt I will the type of owner who will do any challenging rock crawling. I see the possibility of doing serious damage to an expensive vehicle, being something I would avoid.
Mostly feel the same. That said, the Cybertruck is almost certain to be more capable than any truck I've ever owned. I am certain I will be taking it some places I've felt skittish on or avoided previously.

I don't think I'd go up Hell's Gate or trails like that, but I could see driving some of the trails they took the press up on in the Rivians. I also have some haunts near Bear Valley (just north of Yosemite) I think I'd enjoy driving the Cybertruck over.

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
Hi Stacy, You definitely have way more knowledge and experience in these matters. So, I thought I'd pick your brain.
I would think most people would want a short wheelbase Off road capable vehicle over ANY pick-up (including a Gladiator) for scrambling around in Moab. But that makes me think, how would the CT, Rivian, and Gladiator stack up.
I would think the long wheelbase of the CT would be the biggest issue. You mention additional width being a problem, is that just because of brush raking the sides of a vehicle? I would think additional width has advantages in stability and making it much harder to tip a vehicle.

I personally doubt I will the type of owner who will do any challenging rock crawling. I see the possibility of doing serious damage to an expensive vehicle, being something I would avoid. I do like the idea of being able to access back country areas and taking DIRT roads less traveled as being something I look forward to doing with my CT.

Another thing, I see all these videos of people drag racing their Tesla Plaids, and it makes me wonder it EV's have a major advantage over ICE vehicles, in that when you push a vehicle that is Electric it doesn't break down and require service nearly as much as a vehicle that is mechanical and has way more mechanical parts?
Hey Dude;

Wider vehicles are great IF you can actually fit them on the trail or ledge you are on (or make one...). I have always been surprised what a narrower wheel based -and quite heavy (armored, dudes in the back, etc.)- is capable of doing, though. Driving a pretty narrow, top heavy, couple ton vehicle up a waterfall, for example, comes to mind... If you push a vehicle hard enough, or on something steep enough, it doesn't matter how wide it is or heavy, it is going over. I think the CT is going to be awesome... but I also think it is going to be pretty limited in how far it can range into the wilderness (even with whatever solar packages they offer/are developed aftermarket) and just what actual kind of wilderness it can conquer. For the VAST majority of us, it will never stumble, but there are a lot of spots (and folks) who will no doubt be forcing it to meet its match. You'd also be surprised, I think, just what people pay (or pour into after market) for their off-road rigs. What we are paying for the CT is just a drop in the bucket. Not just to equip a real capable rig, but to maintain and fix one. They are money pits, but like any hobby its pay to play... And tons (literally) of fun.

EVs break too. And if we are out pushing our CTs, they are going to break. You can't play around with gravity and the types of physical forces and stresses that true off-roading a vehicle incurs without the penalty. That said, if you do things smart (read slow, low, and in control) you can avoid a lot of drama...) One thing that dragging does though, perhaps not to the mechanicals of an EV except for brakes and your neck, is wear the battery... You can do it, and do it a lot, but your battery longevity, charging ability, and your overall efficiency scores/feeling good about not wasting energy/saving the planet are going to take a hit. Having that ability has been a life-saver (literally and especially attempting to 'merge' - read out-race someone- in Texas) and it is something my wife uses every day and a lot more than I do. She's the true lead foot in the family...

I am really no expert, but I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night and was very fortunate to serve in some units that received a lot of your tax dollars over the years in order to train/expose/employ us in some interesting locales and required us to be able to move... Thank You!

SS

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Hey Dude;

Wider vehicles are great IF you can actually fit them on the trail or ledge you are on (or make one...). I have always been surprised what a narrower wheel based -and quite heavy (armored, dudes in the back, etc.)- is capable of doing, though. Driving a pretty narrow, top heavy, couple ton vehicle up a waterfall, for example, comes to mind... If you push a vehicle hard enough, or on something steep enough, it doesn't matter how wide it is or heavy, it is going over. I think the CT is going to be awesome... but I also think it is going to be pretty limited in how far it can range into the wilderness (even with whatever solar packages they offer/are developed aftermarket) and just what actual kind of wilderness it can conquer. For the VAST majority of us, it will never stumble, but there are a lot of spots (and folks) who will no doubt be forcing it to meet its match. You'd also be surprised, I think, just what people pay (or pour into after market) for their off-road rigs. What we are paying for the CT is just a drop in the bucket. Not just to equip a real capable rig, but to maintain and fix one. They are money pits, but like any hobby its pay to play... And tons (literally) of fun.

EVs break too. And if we are out pushing our CTs, they are going to break. You can't play around with gravity and the types of physical forces and stresses that true off-roading a vehicle incurs without the penalty. That said, if you do things smart (read slow, low, and in control) you can avoid a lot of drama...) One thing that dragging does though, perhaps not to the mechanicals of an EV except for brakes and your neck, is wear the battery... You can do it, and do it a lot, but your battery longevity, charging ability, and your overall efficiency scores/feeling good about not wasting energy/saving the planet are going to take a hit. Having that ability has been a life-saver (literally and especially attempting to 'merge' - read out-race someone- in Texas) and it is something my wife uses every day and a lot more than I do. She's the true lead foot in the family...

I am really no expert, but I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night and was very fortunate to serve in some units that received a lot of your tax dollars over the years in order to train/expose/employ us in some interesting locales and required us to be able to move... Thank You!

SS
LOL, my wife is named Maria, but I refer to her as Mario a lot. So, I'm in the same boat with you on the merging/racing comment.
Now I understand how you got the confidence to take vehicles through their paces in extreme conditions. Experience is the best way to build up confidence in any extreme activity. (Way better than alcohol, or any false sense of security) :)

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
That means once Elon starts seeing these that he'll have to get the Beta Cybertrucks on screen, too! He's already so far ahead of Blue Origin so..
Real developers ship - SteveJobs Elon launches.

Elon launches products - no demo, no commercials, no discounts. Take a number! ?

Elon might have a plan. Either prefab batterypack frames for CT with “all those stampings” or Fremont conversion over Xmas to Cybertruck subassemblies shipped to GigaAUSTIN for Xpress production final assembly for unannounced CT delivery(~Jun ‘22).

Otherwise, Cybertrucks don’t see Reservation holders until 2023. Costly, but Rivian launch and Biden‘s auto industry incentives could impact Tesla, Tesla cashflow and RN conversion to pre-order for Tesla product. You’ll know if RWD-CT comes first off the line.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
awesome... but I also think it is going to be pretty limited in how far it can range into the wilderness (even with whatever solar packages they offer/are developed aftermarket) and just what actual kind of wilderness it can conquer.
Tesla will invent Portapacks for larger events, venues and occasions where Cybertrucks roam beyond infrastructure chargers. There’s no one else to solve the chicken-egg dilemma.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That means once Elon starts seeing these that he'll have to get the Beta Cybertrucks on screen, too! He's already so far ahead of Blue Origin so...
I would sure love to see some Beta Cybertrucks myself!

Doubly so if they were unleashed on some OHV stuff. This has to be eating at Elon.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
Hey Dude;

SS

I will second this. The range of vehicles you see on the trails vary a lot. I have $14k total into mine over the years, I know people with only $2-3k of purely junkyard and home built parts. I have also seen $250+k retired ultra4 rigs. Witnessed a dozen roll overs, been in one. Seen broken axles, steering, blown tires, drive shafts and I am sure I haven't seen it all.

With the clearance and its low center of gravity the CT will do more than the vast majority will even think possible. I might take mine to Moab, or other level 5-6 trails, it will definitely see many forest and back country roads. But I will definitely not push it like I push my Jeep.

Edit to add: I have a 94" wheel base, while there are things it excels at it tens to struggle on some things like ledges.

DallasEd

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV Ninja
Occupation
Structure Engineer Boeing
Country flag
Poking my head into the Rivian forums I was a little surprised at something.

The estimates they have over there suggest Rivian's sales numbers are in the low-mid 20k range. That's both the truck and the SUV together. That is consistent with what the CEO of Rivian said "We have 10s of thousands of pre-orders".
Good chance if you put your hat in the Rivian ring, you'll be in a truck by summer.
I have seen Rivian production line.
Rivian are 10-20 years before any production line. These prototype one of a kind pushed out the door trucks are just that.
Rivian $80 Billion IPO where the one of a kind Rivian $1 Million trucks are not road worthy and crashed and burned.
Software and hardware impossible to fix and total Rivian redesign is in the works.
Sponsored

Last edited: