I'm going to rent a Model 3. Any suggestions?

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
For air in the tires, know that the TPMS sensors are only powered during driving, so any air you put in the tires will only update the pressure after you drive it a little. You may not even have to attend to this at all but I always check tire pressure before every road trip.
- ÆCIII
Although I think this is generally true, I've noticed I usually need to drive just a few feet for the TPMS to update, I have had the app pop a notification during the night that air pressure is low while my car is sitting in the garage (I had a slow leak). I found it interesting that it does this, perhaps there is a very low frequency polling of the TPMS sensors while the car is not moving, like once every 5 hours or some such.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
Dang it, Hertz wouldn't let me rent the Tesla. First round the pre-payment by my employer wasn't acceptable when I showed up because I did not have it in hand. Then wouldn't rent it to me when I changed the reservation to my card, which they still wouldn't use to rent the Tesla because it wasn't a credit card. My wife and I haven't had a credit card for years as we haven't needed one. So now paying more for less and not happy about it.

/rant over.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Dang it, Hertz wouldn't let me rent the Tesla. First round the pre-payment by my employer wasn't acceptable when I showed up because I did not have it in hand. Then wouldn't rent it to me when I changed the reservation to my card, which they still wouldn't use to rent the Tesla because it wasn't a credit card. My wife and I haven't had a credit card for years as we haven't needed one. So now paying more for less and not happy about it.

/rant over.
I've seen Enterprise Rent-A-Car also refuse debit cards at times. I don't know what it is exactly, but it seems like they want people to use their credit cards and open up a line of debt, hoping they won't immediately pay it back and that's how it starts. Seems like the banks and rental car companies obviously have agreements requiring payment by credit cards only.

- ÆCIII

OP
OP
Bill906

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
My friend, who was 23 at the time, had a credit card, a good job and decent credit. His mother had no credit card and poor credit. They couldn't put the car in her name because she didn't have a CC. They couldn't put the car in his name because he was under 25.

When I did rent the Tesla Model 3 (the reason I started this thread), I reserved it online. My CC has a feature called virtual account number. I use it ALL the time on online CC charges. You can set the dollar limit and the expiration date. Hit the generate button and it gives you a brand new CC number that will bill to your actual CC account. When I went to pick up the Model 3, not only did you have to have a CC, you had to have the CC you reserved with. Which in my case, didn't physically exist. I had to call the Hertz 1-800 number and change my reservation CC to my physical cards number.

SIde note: The Virtual CC number is awesome for places that renew your subscription automatically. I set the CC expiration date on the virtual number to expire before the auto renew. Then they have to email me saying "we tried to charge your card for the auto renew, but there was a problem..." So I get a warning and time to decide if I want to renew. I think most major CC's offer that feature, but the one I use is from Citibank.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I know that this is a [relatively] old thread and that rental companies do not provide access to NoAP, but it has gotten pretty good and would sell a LOT of Teslas if renters going on longish trips could try it out. That way all of the supercharger issues would be handled by the app but mostly the driver would have reduced stress while driving and be able to enjoy their trip more. Yes, it would take a bit of time to get used to since you still need to be the driver and focused, but it definitely reduces stress more than cruise control.

supergadget

First Name
Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY std/2w drive, MY P, M3 D/motor, CT......
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Oh... has anyone rented from Hertz before? I'm curious if I'll be allowed to connect it to my Tesla app, or if I'll have to use the key cards and not be able to precondition or other controls from the app.
I rented a Hertz Model Y.
My model YP was in for body work(hit and run while parked) Thanks to Sentry mode- resolved without issue.

Anyway
Rental was sweet and easy.
I was able to supercharge as well, and invoice went back to Hertz (not me) drov for free for three weeks.

Car Pre conditions like normal. Just use the maps.

Needed to use the Key Card though everytime...... in/out start etc . sucked.
oh well easy.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I've seen Enterprise Rent-A-Car also refuse debit cards at times. I don't know what it is exactly,
...It's because a credit line has a larger amount of purchase protection than a debit card does. A debit card only has how much cash that is secured in the initial transaction. A credit card has an entire limit and purchase protection to protect the business.

Surprised they didn't have the option of a cash bond, but that's a big pain.

They want to have a form of credit to charge incidentals - like charging - to.

The credit proves your ability to pay it back - and a bank backing you up. No one wants you to not pay it back.

I've rented card for friends before, to get around these issues. But really, be an adult an get a line of credit. Find one without annual fees, and you'll be fine. Don't float debt on it. It's just a way to pay for things.

-Crissa

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
I rent Teslas from hertz regularly. Even though they give you the option for FSD Beta all you get is auto steer that essentially is just adaptive cruise control. It doesn’t recognize traffic signals or change lanes for you. Even the blind spot and backup warnings are crap compared to my wife’s Model Y with FSD.
They do not offer FSD Beta.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
...It's because a credit line has a larger amount of purchase protection than a debit card does. A debit card only has how much cash that is secured in the initial transaction. A credit card has an entire limit and purchase protection to protect the business.

Surprised they didn't have the option of a cash bond, but that's a big pain.

They want to have a form of credit to charge incidentals - like charging - to.

The credit proves your ability to pay it back - and a bank backing you up. No one wants you to not pay it back.

I've rented card for friends before, to get around these issues. But really, be an adult an get a line of credit. Find one without annual fees, and you'll be fine. Don't float debt on it. It's just a way to pay for things.

-Crissa
Really?

I was able to rent a gas car no problems, their policy of not accepting ATM's was only for electrics. Not to mention it was pre-paid via a corporate credit card. The past 20 years I haven't needed one even with traveling from time to time. We don't consider having a credit card worth it, even now with having this issue.

OP
OP
Bill906

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
WARNING: The following has nothing to do with the CT. If you're not interested in Rental cars, debit cards and credit cards please disregard.

I think they've changed recently. I got this from Hertz.com:
Hertz accepts American Express, MasterCard, Carte Blanche, Visa, Diners Club, Discover, JCB, China Union Pay and some debit cards. We may place an authorized hold on your credit/debit card to cover the estimated rental charges plus up to USD $200.00 for Credit and (effective April 1st) $500 for Debit, for any additional charges that may be incurred. These funds will not be available for your use.
As far as credit cards being worth it...
I got into some trouble my last year of college. I started using CC's to pay for everything, when I couldn't pay them, I'd get a new card and transfer the balance.
Once I graduated and got a decent paying job. I took out a loan and used that to pay off all my CC's. I then cut them all up and only used debit.
Because of rental cars and other times were a true CC was needed I got one new CC and used it only for emergencies.
Once I determined I could trust myself with CC's. I got a no annual fee, 2% cash back card and started using it for almost all of my purchases. I would pay off the charges almost as fast as I made them in the app. I have never had an interest charge on a CC not counting the mess I made when in college.
I now have different cards that pay more cash back for different categories etc. For example, I have the Amazon Prime (Chase) CC that pays 5% cash back on all Amazon purchases. That card is only used for Amazon. (Physical card has never been swiped).
I collect the cash back and about once every year and a half, I have enough to buy the latest Apple product. My iPhone 14 Max Pro was purchased with cash back money. Plan on getting the Apple Watch Ultra when its next version comes out.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Really?

I was able to rent a gas car no problems, their policy of not accepting ATM's was only for electrics. Not to mention it was pre-paid via a corporate credit card. The past 20 years I haven't needed one even with traveling from time to time. We don't consider having a credit card worth it, even now with having this issue.
Yes, they post-charge you any Supercharging you do.

You need credit for that.

Be an adult, manage your credit.

-Crissa

If the average age on this forum weren't higher than my own, I might not say that, but you guys have no excuse.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Yes, they post-charge you any Supercharging you do.

You need credit for that.

Be an adult, manage your credit.

-Crissa

If the average age on this forum weren't higher than my own, I might not say that, but you guys have no excuse.
There was a time when I was anti-establishment, screw the man attitude, it's not easy.

Now I'm like Bill906

Beat them at their own game. Keep a good credit score and take advantage of the system. A month ago we rented a side by side Polaris Razor, and I had to have a credit card to put down a $1500 damage deposit. Sometimes being an adult isn't fun. But sometimes, it is!

Tesla Cybertruck I'm going to rent a Model 3.  Any suggestions? throwingsand

Tesla Cybertruck I'm going to rent a Model 3.  Any suggestions? cliffrazor

Tesla Cybertruck I'm going to rent a Model 3.  Any suggestions? 2826

Last edited: