Inflation & preorders final purchase price.

flamaest

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
For example, the Model Y has jumped from $48,990 in early 2021 to $53,990 as of today. That’s a $5k price increase. .

Uhhhh, no. If you ordered a model Y DAY1 and paid for it right away on delivery you would get the price that it was advertised for on the pre-order page. Same as the model 3.

Your example is considering buying a model y months after it was on the reservation page. If you sat on your hands and waited a year to buy your model y, of course the price could be different.

I guarantee you that more than just a few thousand people will have their panties in a bunch if the Cyber truck price is not held for their reservation. It would be really bad press for Tesla, like a thousand-X the bad press that the stupid yoke steering wheel or FSD subscription upgrades are causing.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
The $100 non-binding, refundable reservation is not a true deposit, and not any sort of contract. Either party can cancel and refund at any time. If you place an actual order for a car where you put a true down payment and/or binding deposit on it, with a specific sales agreement, then neither party can change it. For example, one of my friends loves to buy new cars more than once a year. It's his thing. He also insists on ordering and that nobody else has ever sat in it. So he paid his down payment and waited weeks. Car shows up and dealer says that due to inflation and COVID shortages they have an up-charge. He says no, we have a contract, too bad. They fought a little but had to deliver as contracted.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
The $100 non-binding, refundable reservation is not a true deposit, and not any sort of contract. Either party can cancel and refund at any time. If you place an actual order for a car where you put a true down payment and/or binding deposit on it, with a specific sales agreement, then neither party can change it. For example, one of my friends loves to buy new cars more than once a year. It's his thing. He also insists on ordering and that nobody else has ever sat in it. So he paid his down payment and waited weeks. Car shows up and dealer says that due to inflation and COVID shortages they have an up-charge. He says no, we have a contract, too bad. They fought a little but had to deliver as contracted.
Yes yes true. But it is also true that model Y and model 3 had the same verbage in the order agreement, but they honored the original price anyway. It is very likely the CT preorder price will be kept. The model 3 was very delayed and they still honored pre-order prices years later.

Either way, nothing we can control. I just enjoy reading folks losing their minds over it...

Pretty sure no one reads the thread before posting. Around and around we go!

Tesla Cybertruck Inflation & preorders final purchase price. tenor

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Either way, nothing we can control. I just enjoy reading folks losing their minds over it...
I knowingly and willfully put a $100 bet on a fantasy, nothing more. Everyone else put a bet on a fantasy too, they just may not know it.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I knowingly and willfully put a $100 bet on a fantasy, nothing more. Everyone else put a bet on a fantasy too, they just may not know it.
Who knows.

Maybe this is Tesla's plan for burning through their pre-order backlog.
Sponsored