Is 4th Quarter 2021 a realistic delivery date for the Cybertruck?

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What should happen is after the factory is built, they build some units for testing and gov approval. Not release them to the public so we can test them. That won’t work with real truck people. Once all the bugs and filament issues are corrected, then and only then should they start production for the public.

You must understand, that except for people that are crazy over a Tesla will accept almost any flaw, US truck buyers will expect a solid well built QC controlled truck. The big three provide that now. They all make wonderful trucks. If Tesla is going convert them, they absolutely must get it right the first time right out of the box. If they don’t then they won’t buy them in the masses, and we will end up with a redesign as Musk has already hinted.

It’s simple.
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
With the Model Y they sent a vehicle for testing a month or so before they said they were going to start deliveries (and as a recap that date was 8 months ahead of their original estimate).
Yes the testing doesn't take too long to complete. As for the factory, yes they could be completed way ahead of schedule or they could be behind schedule, it's just an estimate. The nice thing is that the Cybertruck should have a shorter line to build the truck than other Pickup trucks or even other Teslas.
Another reason that the Model Y might have been so fast to start production is they pretty much were already making that car. The model 3, while not the exact same car, is very similar in a lot of aspects, use a lot of the same parts, and even have the same battery capacity if i'm not mistaken.

When they move to the cybertruck, it's a completely different vehicle, unlike any other or any Tesla. It has an exo skeleton, it has a larger battery for a heavier vehicle (so much larger), it has a different glass and metal that's designed by Space X, it has Cybertruck specific components such as the automatic cover, tailgate, ramp, the lights will even be very unique. If you look at anything on the Cybertruck, right down to the new style of seats, they aren't going to have these already in production, so I don't want to assume that this is going to be started 8 months ahead of schedule like the Model Y.

MY. Looks like they should have taken their time and got it right first instead of delivering cars with QC problems. Sucks you can big dollars for a car and have it come out with defects that shows they have no QC.
A couple people have already touched on this and I completely agree with them. Every car or truck manufacturer sends out vehicles with defects. It's unfortuante but that's just the reality of these businesses. If you are pumping out around 1000 vehicles a day from a factory, it's hard to catch every single vehicle that has a gap a little too big or some missing paint. Manufacturers use a form of sampling, where they will check different components on a certain percentage of vehicles based on the total amount completed in a day which will provide them information on what defects are happening and where they are happening so the production can improve for the future.

The reason why Tesla gets more hate on this topic than other car manufactures is that with other makes, you work with a dealership to get a car. Before they give you the car, they do a bunch of inspections to make sure they aren't liable for anything. With Tesla, they don't have huge sales teams or anything like that to raise the cost of the car, those savings are passed to us. The downside is you are going to have to inspect your vehicle when you get it and maybe it will need some adjustments that Tesla will take care of, as long as you bring it to their attention within the timeframe that is set.

Tesla even put out a checklist of all the things that you should check on the exterior, interior, and even the software when you get your new vehicle. This isn't just good practise with Tesla, i've taken a brand new Cadillac back to the dealership when I did my inspection on old car years ago, because even with dealership inspections, it's not like they are inspecting a vehicle that they will be driving everyday for the next 10-30+ years, they are just doing what they have to for their job. I always do a thorough inspection of the things i'll rely on.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
What should happen is after the factory is built, they build some units for testing and gov approval. Not release them to the public so we can test them. That won’t work with real truck people. Once all the bugs and filament issues are corrected, then and only then should they start production for the public.

You must understand, that except for people that are crazy over a Tesla will accept almost any flaw, US truck buyers will expect a solid well built QC controlled truck. The big three provide that now. They all make wonderful trucks. If Tesla is going convert them, they absolutely must get it right the first time right out of the box. If they don’t then they won’t buy them in the masses, and we will end up with a redesign as Musk has already hinted.

It’s simple.
There already is facilities that are built to test cars to make sure they meet certain standards. Tesla, like any manufacturer, does test their vehicles. They just don't have dealerships that handle sales and inspect every single vehicle before you pick it up, they instead release a checklist for you to look over your vehicle and if you find something that isn't perfect upon delivery, you can take it to a Tesla service station and they will fix it.

Also something I want to note is that cybertruck isn't really trying to compete with the big three or convert truck owners. I think Elon made it clear that they just wanted to build something badass and I think just the style is going to really draw in the younger crowd and the capabilities and utility will draw in other people. I've already seen some concepts of how people could sequre ladders and equipment to the cybertruck, there is a old youtuber that goes into great detail of how Cybertruck could handle offroading based on the little we know about it. But when I look at the Cybertruck, I don't see a pickup truck, I don't see a car, this is something compeletly different than anything else, that can do it all.

A big reason that I don't really see a ton of 'truck people' converting to Cybertruck is because they can't really do anything themselves. I'm not saying they won't buy a Cybertruck, but I think they will want to keep their other truck. My friend and I still have our first trucks from 10+ years ago and there isn't a year that goes by that we aren't taking them apart to fix something or add something and that's just not something that's going to be an option with Cybertruck. As much fun as I plan to have with my Cybertruck, it's not going to be a truck to me in the same sense as my truck is a truck. The Cybertruck will be my offroad, onroad, utility/performance vehicle, that can drive itself and tow 14000+lbs that I will take when I want to impress a date or go on a camping trip. I'm basically going to sell my car and my jeep and replace it with one Cybertruck

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag

It’s simple.
They have always built vehicles for testing and government approval.. .. i dont see how they could get government approval without doing that?

My good friend received a M3P with a few minor flaws..service center promptly took care of them and sent him on his way. Was no big deal.

I agree some stuff is ridiculous.. but everything else on his car was extremely well put together.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Your missing the point. Tesla is going after the F150 and other trucks made by big 3. They are. All the trucks made by the big 3 are excellent trucks. If a Tesla doesn’t properly test and correct any defects before they release it to the public it will bad. The entire world is watching and waiting for the CT. The haters will hate. That’s a given. The majority of truck owners will and can be swayed to electric trucks - hopeful Tesla If a Tesla can just do it.

They simply can not afford release the CT they way they did with the S,X,3&Y. The Y has way to many stupid defects and it’s plainly obvious that Tesla lacks QC. Just stopped and think. It’s Obvious. It’s true manufacturers have defects, but they have the support team to fix them. Ever try to get a a Tesla Service Advisor on the line?

Before you start trying to compare Tesla quality with say a Ford truck, do yourself a flavor and go look at one and test drive it. They are amazing. The fit and finish on the inside is perfect. I’m mean perfect. Tesla doesn’t compare and it’s not even close.

I want my CT just like you do, but if I has defects, I won’t except it. No you can’t have it either. Lol. I am looking at the big picture here. I want a Tesla to be successful and I want the CT to be literally ground breaking.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Your missing the point. Tesla is going after the F150 and other trucks made by big 3. They are. All the trucks made by the big 3 are excellent trucks. If a Tesla doesn’t properly test and correct any defects before they release it to the public it will bad. The entire world is watching and waiting for the CT. The haters will hate. That’s a given. The majority of truck owners will and can be swayed to electric trucks - hopeful Tesla If a Tesla can just do it.

They simply can not afford release the CT they way they did with the S,X,3&Y. The Y has way to many stupid defects and it’s plainly obvious that Tesla lacks QC. Just stopped and think. It’s Obvious. It’s true manufacturers have defects, but they have the support team to fix them. Ever try to get a a Tesla Service Advisor on the line?

Before you start trying to compare Tesla quality with say a Ford truck, do yourself a flavor and go look at one and test drive it. They are amazing. The fit and finish on the inside is perfect. I’m mean perfect. Tesla doesn’t compare and it’s not even close.

I want my CT just like you do, but if I has defects, I won’t except it. No you can’t have it either. Lol. I am looking at the big picture here. I want a Tesla to be successful and I want the CT to be literally ground breaking.
Lets say that you are right in every respect, and lets say that Tesla keeps doing things the way they have been doing them. What do you think will be the result? Will they lose the market forever or just until the CT gets a clean bill of health from others? And we aren't really any different; we would not accept a CT that is poorly made any more than they would. Will the Rivian be perfect out the gate? The eF-150? The eHummer? Will the EV-truck industry falter or fail? You are telling us what must happen. What are the real ramifications from your point of view? I find it hard to believe that the EV-truck industry has one shot at this, though I would like to see them adhere to your standards (and mine).

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The vast majority of complaints are paint chips, followed by panel gaps. Neither are even on the Cybertruck, and are they even things that most truck buyers even look at?

-Crissa

You better believe they do. My brother would spot a misaligned door immediately. So many of these vehicles never make it off road and for the prices they charge you expect perfection. It is after they age and get their "character" that they become duty or heavy duty use.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You better believe they do. My brother would spot a misaligned door immediately. So many of these vehicles never make it off road and for the prices they charge you expect perfection. It is after they age and get their "character" that they become duty or heavy duty use.
I don't know I believe it, though. The whole 's3xy' thing makes people go over their vehicles with a fine tooth comb and calipers.

And if you never take it off road, how do you know it doesn't have weak suspension?

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I know that as soon as my Cybertruck arrives, I will be taking it to a friends shop and inspecting every inch of it. I trust Tesla to do a good job but I know that things can go wrong and I also know that I will really enjoy inspecting every inch of the Cybertruck. I will then immediately test the wading depth and offroading but that's more just for my own entertainment than anything else.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Mine will immediately replace my work truck. It'll get it's paces.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
That sounds like an excellent idea and I have also been thinking of a similar trip.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Good question and will wait to hear the answer from someone in the know. I have not come across anyone saying anything about that even when a Tesla was just delivered.
Sponsored