Is 4th Quarter 2021 a realistic delivery date for the Cybertruck?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
True, but living in Austin definitely has a more optimistic outlook for getting it sooner at around the same reservation numbers vs someone living in say CA or NY.
That's a good point. I think the closer you are to the factory, could make your reservation more accurate.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This was posted on June 29th. Bigsur raised some legitimate concerns. It's pretty amazing to see where we are at today, not even 2 months later.
Yeah, Musk had said they were limiting it to 'brown field' to limit the hurdles. The site they chose already had major permits and was massively disturbed earth. So much of the initial work could go ahead immediately before they needed some of the permits finalized.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Bigsur345

Bigsur345

Banned
Banned
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda, '72 Ford Ranchero, 2017 Moar Rapt II E-Bike
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, Musk had said they were limiting it to 'brown field' to limit the hurdles. The site they chose already had major permits and was massively disturbed earth. So much of the initial work could go ahead immediately before they needed some of the permits finalized.

-Crissa
Yes I figured there would be brownfields on this project. I imagine they are fast-tracking this project by getting Foundation only permits while they finalize the structural, architectural and MEP designs that will be required to get the factory ready for Temporary Certificate Occupancy (TCO).

Almost all of these big high-profile projects try for the TCO first, just like we did a few times in Vegas, while simultaneously working for the final Certificate Occupancy. That way, they can install the machinery and the assembly line equipment prior to the facility being 100% complete.

Last edited:

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
So I'm way late to the game and recently put my order in for the dual motor CT on August 8, 2020. My estimated position is 688,339. Estimated delivery is December 2023. What are these numbers based on? Can this be relatively accurate or is there a lot of slop?

Tesla Cybertruck Is 4th Quarter 2021 a realistic delivery date for the Cybertruck? waitin

5UBV3T

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MY Dual Motor, CT Dual Motor preordered
Occupation
Test Engineer
Country flag
Unless you count the Semi, the Roadster, the Tesla Roof, the Tesla Solar Panels, the new battery lines, ... Big plate, Tesla has.
[/QUOTE]

Shall we add SpaceX, Boring and Neuralink to that also? Remember the top guy is the same for all 4 of these companies...

5UBV3T

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MY Dual Motor, CT Dual Motor preordered
Occupation
Test Engineer
Country flag
All I have to say is... because according to the numbers I'm about 600k in line is that I would like to see all the details (and initial production) by Q4 of 2021. After the Model Y, and I'm a Tesla fanboy, the QA has slipped since the improvements seen during M3 production. I understand they needed to make deliveries of the MY but some of the things I've seen have been egregious.

I'm more than happy to be 600k in line for the CT. I hope that i get it late 2022 or early 2023 to let some of the "kinks" get worked out. Don't get me wrong. I'm an early adopter... for $250 air pod pros... not $60k vehicles. I hope they are perfect right from the get go, but after the MY I'm okay with waiting another year to get my CT.

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
All I have to say is... because according to the numbers I'm about 600k in line is that I would like to see all the details (and initial production) by Q4 of 2021. After the Model Y, and I'm a Tesla fanboy, the QA has slipped since the improvements seen during M3 production. I understand they needed to make deliveries of the MY but some of the things I've seen have been egregious.

I'm more than happy to be 600k in line for the CT. I hope that i get it late 2022 or early 2023 to let some of the "kinks" get worked out. Don't get me wrong. I'm an early adopter... for $250 air pod pros... not $60k vehicles. I hope they are perfect right from the get go, but after the MY I'm okay with waiting another year to get my CT.
I take it you're not much of a kinky guy. ?

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Shall we add SpaceX, Boring and Neuralink to that also? Remember the top guy is the same for all 4 of these companies...
[/QUOTE]
Something came out yesterday regarding a side project that Elon is also involved in and it blows my mind thinking about everything that is on his plate!
https://apple.news/ADt9XCQ-VS7m_Gx9Up2mTIQ

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Something came out yesterday regarding a side project that Elon is also involved in and it blows my mind thinking about everything that is on his plate!
https://apple.news/ADt9XCQ-VS7m_Gx9Up2mTIQ
[/QUOTE]

This actually isn't all that new. A lot of people think of Tesla as a car company that does some solar stuff. In reality, Tesla is a tech company that does tons of stuff. he could split his companies into even more companies if he really wanted to, and he gets the benefit of these companies working together. Tesla will get some stuff from SpaceX, starlink uses spaceX for launches, and i'm sure we'll see more things like this in the future.

Hookalakupua

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-Motor
Country flag
Is there no one willing to stand by their prediction of a 2022 or later delivery time?!?!

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Is there no one willing to stand by their prediction of a 2022 or later delivery time?!?!
I predict deliveries for preorders in 2021...and 2022...and every year after till about 2024-2025 considering how many preorders they have. They is also factoring a lot of people canceling orders and new people making them before we are caught up.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I will. 2023 for early deliveries, and 2024 for real production units.
that of course is based on if a Tesla can work out all the problems with a brand new designed unit. Meaning maybe a year later than that.

colemanlewis

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla dual motor Model III
Occupation
Anesthesiologist
Country flag
I do not know the intricacies about vehicle design, tooling, supply chains, crash testing and manufacturing challenges, but I do know about development and construction.

I just cannot see how Tesla can build at least one factory and deliver a truck within 18 MONTHS from now with so much to do -- for instance......

Buy the land for the terrafactory (it is only optioned right now) // Environmental Impact Study approval (the public comment period alone is a few months) // Govt. permitting & regulatory approvals // design, bid, construct // utility infrastructure // hire & train factory personnel // figure out where in the world are you going to get so much stainless steel // how you would manufacture so many more batteries when demand cannot even be reasonably met right now, and on and on ....

Texas is not like China where you can build a Tesla factory in about a year (that was amazing). Even with local, state & federal entities advocating such a high profile project, it is still going to be an arduous process to build the factory and deliver trucks; it just isn't going to happen by the end of 2021.

My guess is trucks start to roll out by 1st Q 2023, at the earliest, dang it. Anybody else have thoughts on the timelines?
You forget that Mr. Musk has publicly stated that the Cybertruck will be far cheaper and easier to build than a conventional car. It won't require the vast floor space, numerous robotic machines, and gigantic presses needed to mass produce conventional cars. Sheets of stainless steel will be quickly folded like origami to form the exoskeleton. No painting will be needed. I expect that the batteries will be incorporated into the exoskeleton so as to balance weight distribution, optimize frame strength, and maximize safety. Wiring will be largely eliminated by the use of digital signaling among the various lights and components. I expect that the experience gained from building the Cybertruck will lead directly to the introduction of a Model 2 "people's car" vehicle that will orders of magnitude cheaper and will annihilate the last bastion of gas buggies.