Is 4th Quarter 2021 a realistic delivery date for the Cybertruck?

OP
OP
Bigsur345

Bigsur345

Banned
Banned
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda, '72 Ford Ranchero, 2017 Moar Rapt II E-Bike
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
You forget that Mr. Musk has publicly stated that the Cybertruck will be far cheaper and easier to build than a conventional car. It won't require the vast floor space, numerous robotic machines, and gigantic presses needed to mass produce conventional cars. Sheets of stainless steel will be quickly folded like origami to form the exoskeleton. No painting will be needed. I expect that the batteries will be incorporated into the exoskeleton so as to balance weight distribution, optimize frame strength, and maximize safety. Wiring will be largely eliminated by the use of digital signaling among the various lights and components. I expect that the experience gained from building the Cybertruck will lead directly to the introduction of a Model 2 "people's car" vehicle that will orders of magnitude cheaper and will annihilate the last bastion of gas buggies.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bigsur345

Bigsur345

Banned
Banned
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda, '72 Ford Ranchero, 2017 Moar Rapt II E-Bike
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Hmmm, well I doubt that getting laser windshield wipers perfected and approved by the DOT; a milestone break thorough approval of camera mirrors in the US; obtaining a safety crash rating; nearly revolutionizing the independent rear suspension system to be able to tow over 5,000 lbs; redesigning the tailgate and tail light configurations; road and circuit track testing final approvals; stop changing and finalize the alloy content for the body panels -or- revising the armor glass will be all that swift and easy, especially with the iterative nature of the process and approvals necessary to finalize these things.

I realize taht the laser wipers and camera mirrors might not make it on the first production trucks. Undoubtedly, many of these things can be done in parallel, but one would hypothesize that testing and approving trucks from the initial manufacturing run at the proving grounds has to wait until the factory can produce cars.

I doubt I am even coming close to all the things they really have in front of them for the truck -- not to mention finishing this construction (if they can build it in a year - and that is a big if). Placing the equipment, completing, stocking and running the line, then start producing a car available for public purchase 6 months after the completion of the facility?

Last edited:

Yakuza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Datsun
Country flag
Elon just tweeted the new batteries to be unveiled tomorrow won’t be produced in volume until 2022, and those will be used in semi, CT, and roadster

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
He just means the scale...if the CT andsemi are just starting to be produced in 2021, they could still have new batteries for their limited production runs, then when the lines are running full speed, the battery lines are up to full speed as well.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Elon just tweeted the new batteries to be unveiled tomorrow won’t be produced in volume until 2022, and those will be used in semi, CT, and roadster
All he said was it won't reach serious high volume production until 2022. Since Cybertruck will probably only have Cybertruck deliveries in the low 10's of thousands, I wouldn't call that high volume production for Tesla. I suspect that the Semi, the Roadster, and the Cybertruck will all have the improvements that will be discussed tomorrow. As for the S3XY lineup, they will probably start getting those improvements in 2022.

Tesla has to think of their customers that preordered. Imagine how the first customers would react if they get their Cybertrucks while knowing full well that in a few months, people will be getting Cybertrucks with better batteries. There might be small changes to the Cybertruck between the first year of production and the years to come, like how the Model 3 changed the seats and now the frunk. However, I don't see Tesla announcing battery improvements tomorrow and then a year later, excluding the first preorder customers from the benefits.

Yakuza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Datsun
Country flag
All he said was it won't reach serious high volume production until 2022. Since Cybertruck will probably only have Cybertruck deliveries in the low 10's of thousands, I wouldn't call that high volume production for Tesla. I suspect that the Semi, the Roadster, and the Cybertruck will all have the improvements that will be discussed tomorrow. As for the S3XY lineup, they will probably start getting those improvements in 2022.

Tesla has to think of their customers that preordered. Imagine how the first customers would react if they get their Cybertrucks while knowing full well that in a few months, people will be getting Cybertrucks with better batteries. There might be small changes to the Cybertruck between the first year of production and the years to come, like how the Model 3 changed the seats and now the frunk. However, I don't see Tesla announcing battery improvements tomorrow and then a year later, excluding the first preorder customers from the benefits.
The truck isn’t coming out next year. They’re battery constrained. Perhaps a handful for celebs. Not 10s of thousands until 2022 or later.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The truck isn’t coming out next year. They’re battery constrained. Perhaps a handful for celebs. Not 10s of thousands until 2022 or later.
And where did you get this information? Yes they need more batteries than are currently being produced, Elon even tweeted today to inform people that they will be purchasing more batteries from the companies they deal with, and possibly more companies too, this will be in addition to the batteries that they make themselves from their current production and future productions.

Now like I was mentioning in my previous post, the Cybertruck, Roadster, and Semi will probably all have the new batteries. If it's just these 3 vehicles that get the new batteries, there should be plenty for the Cybertruck. Obviously the Cybertruck has more preorders than the Roadster and Semi, and production will be slow at first; I'm sure Tesla has planned enough to make sure they have the battery production ready to keep up. The serious high volume production that will be coming for what is being announced tomorrow will most likely be to keep up with the production of their other vehicles (S3XY).

If they can't make enough batteries for more than a handful of Cybertrucks by the end of year, the company would either be in trouble or even behind their own schedule. I suspect at least 10,000 by the end of 2021.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
With the rumors of record sales again, this could have just been a way to get any orders from people waiting and hoping the new batteries were ready to be put in vehicles already.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
With the rumors of record sales again, this could have just been a way to get any orders from people waiting and hoping the new batteries were ready to be put in vehicles already.
That's an interesting idea - pre-loading demand to jump the Osborne Effect.

-Crissa

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Where is this info coming from? Have you been watching Gordon Johnson videos? ?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Where is this info coming from? Have you been watching Gordon Johnson videos? ?
Elon said this in the Battery Day presentation. He's said it before, as the reason for building the Gigafactory in Nevada. They vertically integrate because of this constraint. If most of the limit on how many cars they can build is batteries, well, they'd better build more batteries!

-Crissa

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Elon said this in the Battery Day presentation. He's said it before, as the reason for building the Gigafactory in Nevada. They vertically integrate because of this constraint. If most of the limit on how many cars they can build is batteries, well, they'd better build more batteries!

-Crissa
Constrained doesnt necessarily mean they cant meet demand. It means they dont have unlimited supply so they likely cant go any faster than demand. I dont foresee delaying CT delivery date due to battery shortage, whether they can make them as fast as they would like may be different.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (Tri Motor) on order
Country flag
Any predictions for Cybertruck run rate after Jan 2022? Jan 2022 to Dec 2022 I see about 70, 000 Cybertrucks being produced. That is only a guess. Probably ramp that by 50% increase per year just the same as Tesla is growing overall.
Sponsored