Is it fair to say road tripping CT is more expensive and less convenient?

tcmccormick

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Cybertruck (resrv)
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I don't think road trip costs should be a big factor when choosing electric vs gas unless you are someone who is continuously on the road and/or will frequently use superchargers as your main source of charging.

A friend of mine still hasn't converted to electric yet and he's looking at buying another ICE vehicle and one of the reasons he is leaning away from electric is because a lot of the chargers he has looked into had prices above $0.50-$0.65/kwh (CAD). He even had a whole bunch of data collected for prices of level 3 chargers for when he drives up to a cottage in the summer and how it would cost him more than gas.

He still holds this as one of the concerns he has for EV's even after I pointed out that he barely drives outside of 30 minutes of his house more than like 10 times a year and the electricity rates where we live is $0.08/kwh (CAD). Most electric vehicle battery sizes wouldn't cost him $6 to fully charge 0-100%.

I think more people need to look at superchargers as more of a luxury. Unless someone constantly needs to charge quickly for long drives every day, possibly for their work, it doesn't have to be your main source of charging. A lot of grocery stores around where I lived in the city used to have free charging and free parking if you showed your receipt when leaving. I think many of those have changed to $1-$1.50 per hour, but that's still a good deal if you are getting proper L2 charging speeds.

But i'm sure most people probably just charge up at home. I would much rather save money 350 days of the year and then spend a little more 15 days of the year.
People love to focus on the exceptions rather than the norm. Anyway you slice it EVs today (especially Tesla) is a no brainer over ICE vehicles. Unfortunately there is so much misinformation out there unless someone really takes the time to research and understand facts from FUD there will be people that don't get it, but I think those days are numbered. The tide is about to turn in a big way.
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
People love to focus on the exceptions rather than the norm. Anyway you slice it EVs today (especially Tesla) is a no brainer over ICE vehicles. Unfortunately there is so much misinformation out there unless someone really takes the time to research and understand facts from FUD there will be people that don't get it, but I think those days are numbered. The tide is about to turn in a big way.
I agree. There's a lot of people worried that Tesla may get a new title.

Bestselling Car AND Truck

As with any movement forward, there are the naysayers who know it won't happen.
And Toyota certainly didn't see the Model Y knocking them off the throne.