Is it fair to say road tripping CT is more expensive and less convenient?

Broski

First Name
Broski
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Yes. WAY MORE EXPENSIVE.
Fuel costs are nothing compared to the depreciation comparison of a mid level Toyota vs a CT. Let alone financing or opportunity cost of that much money in the CT.

Until the lower CT trims come out, CTs are compatible to high end exotics and or Raptors and TRXs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Alpine

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok i see now. There are free charge options along the way. I was just looking at super charging rates

Tiberius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Country flag
Ok i see now. There are free charge options along the way. I was just looking at super charging rates
Staying in locations that provide charging is huge. As is stopping at the superchargers that are in interesting locations to let family linger and explore. The stops are intentional, not just splash and go :)
EV roadtripping is a completely different experience.

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
I love EVs and will never buy a gas car again... BUT never buy an EV to save money. It's not realistic. At best you can break even over time.

A cheap efficient gas car plus 100k miles will always cost less than an expensive EV plus 100k miles. The math works different for every versus battle and driving habits, so you need to work it out yourself.

Here is how I make my choice. Do I want to enjoy car more and save time on refueling 97% of the year, but be at a disadvantage for the 3% of the time I am doing road trips? For me the answer is yes.

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This.

My old man was the kind of roadtripper dad that would make us kids pee in bottle because he never wanted to stop for anything but gas. 😂😂

roadtripping in an EV requires a bit more patience. It works for us tho because we always take el doggo with us and she needs a pee break/leg stretch every 2 - 3 hours.

if my dad was still alive there’s not a chance in hell he could handle an EV on trips. His head would literally have exploded…. Hahaha
That used to be me... Now I drive a MY till the CT comes my way... BIG learning curve!!!

OP
OP
Alpine

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Staying in locations that provide charging is huge. As is stopping at the superchargers that are in interesting locations to let family linger and explore. The stops are intentional, not just splash and go :)
EV roadtripping is a completely different experience.
Im going to probably start out taking the CT down to our vacation spot in port aransas. Its about 6 hours drive and should get me familiarized with ev travel. Longer road trips to west/east coast we'll have to see. I can't imagine hauling kids with so many rest stops.

With kids in tow, im much more interested in getting to our destination.

OP
OP
Alpine

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I love EVs and will never buy a gas car again... BUT never buy an EV to save money. It's not realistic. At best you can break even over time.

A cheap efficient gas car plus 100k miles will always cost less than an expensive EV plus 100k miles. The math works different for every versus battle and driving habits, so you need to work it out yourself.

Here is how I make my choice. Do I want to enjoy car more and save time on refueling 97% of the year, but be at a disadvantage for the 3% of the time I am doing road trips? For me the answer is yes.
Don't get me wrong, im not weighing getting ev vs gas. Iv waited years for the ct. Im going to keep a hybrid around for long road trips and use the CT and a future model 3 for daily.

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is the part im trying to understand. Can you tell me how my trip would be cheaper in a model y or 3?
Just did our first REAL road trip... SATX to Avon CO and back... took about 19 hours there and 20 hours back for a 15 hour trip mainly due to bad weather (snow in the mountains going and heavy rain and fog on the way back) Boy was it a different experience. That learning curve hit me upside the head real quick!!!
But I must say the trip was enjoyable and auto-pilot played a big role in that factor.

I will always have a spot for my ICE vehicles, but not as main transport, just for fun.

TexasRaider

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck + MS
Occupation
Civil
Country flag
Imagine: basically the same comparison between ICE vehicles.

YDR37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
This is the part im trying to understand. Can you tell me how my trip would be cheaper in a model y or 3?
It's simple -- a Model 3 or a Model Y is a smaller, lighter vehicle than a Cybertruck -- just as a Toyota Camry is a smaller, lighter vehicle than a Toyota Tundra full-size pickup.

It takes less energy to move a small, lightweight vehicle from Point A to Point B, and more energy to move a large, heavyweight vehicle over the same distance. It doesn't matter whether that energy comes from electricity or gasoline.

So a Toyota Camry gets more "miles per gallon" than a Toyota Tundra, which means that it uses up less gas over a given distance, which means lower fuel costs. And a Tesla Model 3 gets more "miles per kiloWatt" than a Tesla Cybertruck, which means that it uses up less electricity over a given distance, which also means lower fuel costs.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
[CT will be my first EV]

just got back from a family vacation dfw to port richie fl.

These are one way stats as i didn't log it on way back.

22 sienna loaded with family and luggage. 1081 miles total. Was on cruise at 73mph for 90% of the trip. Had to make 1 refueling stop. 18g tank averaged a little over 37mpg. Total fuel cost dfw to port richie $73.04 at just under 29 gallons used.

Looking at CT recharging video, it looks to be quite a lot more $ super charging the same distance and a lot more time. Is the charging vs fuel consumption savings only for home charging?
You'll never catch me saying that EV roadtrips are faster than ICE roadtrips, but there are a few confounders that you didn't mention:

1. Your 1081 mile trip actually had three fuel stops. You filled up before you set out, the one you mentioned along the way, and you had to refill your tank at your destination. The nice thing about those "fuel ups" in an EV is that the first one and the last one can happen overnight or while you're relaxing at your hotel/condo/family's house (if you've chosen those from those three carefully 🤣) Scheduled charging and preconditioning from the app can mean that before you go to bed you can arrange for your battery to rise to peak charge and temperature and your cabin/seats are heated to ideal comfort level at exactly your planned departure time. 😃🥰

These destination charging sessions are either free (to you) or come at residential kWh energy rates that can be as low as 8¢/kWh (less than a $1 for a 20%-80% session)

2. You said "Had to make 1 refuelling stop", but did you have/want to stop otherwise? Bathroom breaks? Cranky/hungry kid stops? Intermediate points of interest along the way? Those stops are opportunities that, if/when destination/DCFC chargers are plentiful, can result in added "fuel" without adding any extra time.

As an early EV adopter I embraced the frequent, longer stops as positive. My '13 Model S charges glacially slow compared to my Model 3 and I sometimes regret the faster charging of the Model 3 on road trips because reaching "enough charge to continue your trip" notifications come before I've finished my potty/meal breaks. It leaves me feeling rushed. 🤨

On a recent all day trip there was a distinctive vehicle that I saw early in the day. It had a pair of kids bikes with flowers and pinwheels on the handlebars. Even after several charging stops and 8 hours later, I saw that same vehicle again that night. Although it was an ICE vehicle, over a full day we both covered the same distance. Their stops equaled mine.

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
[CT will be my first EV]

22 sienna loaded with family and luggage. 1081 miles total. Was on cruise at 73mph for 90% of the trip. Had to make 1 refueling stop. 18g tank averaged a little over 37mpg. Total fuel cost dfw to port richie $73.04 at just under 29 gallons used.

Looking at CT recharging video, it looks to be quite a lot more $ super charging the same distance and a lot more time. Is the charging vs fuel consumption savings only for home charging?
Is making the same trip in a Pickup more expensive? Yes. So you really aren't comparing apples and oranges here.

You indicated 1 refueling stop, but how many total stops did you make?

Road tripping, or more specifically using Superchargers for power during a road trip isn't where you will save money with an EV. It may be a little less, but not significantly.

Don't look at any YouTube videos right now, they don't accurately represent reality. It may be awhile before there's enough reality. But using the information that Tesla provides, and a billion miles of road data, you won't be hitting the EPA numbers At 73 mph, you may be about 10-20% lower, assuming warmer temperatures. Drop the temperatures and it will get less.

The reason I asked how many stops, is because EV drivers have the ability to optimize charging stops by doubling up on things. Did the family have to go the bathroom? Great thing to do while Supercharging. Did you eat? Great thing to do while Supercharging.

I just took a trip from Atlanta to Orlando to Atlanta to Nashville to Branson MO to Memphis and back to Atlanta, in my Model Y, about 2400 miles. I'm guessing that we had to wait at Superchargers maybe an hour or two total. All of the remaining Supercharger time was used doing other things. If you aren't careful at a meal, the vehicle will fill and you have to move it to avoid idle charges at some locations.

Compared to my previous ICE trips, EVs come to about the same amount of time. What used to be a bio stop, is now a charge and bio stop.

I feel that the family will be happier in the Cybertruck, lots more room and places to put things. Luggage in the underbed and frunk, let alone the vault where Christmas presents can be put locked and out of sight.
The backseat has their own monitor and audio can be separated when using Bluetooth headphones. They've got lots of USB charging and even AC capability. And it's cooled separately.
You don't even have to get the oil changed and the engine checked out before you leave.

Since it is a pick-up, it may not be cheaper on the road than the Sienna, but definitely not much more. I'm suspecting that it will be an awesome road-tripper.

Saving money is something that you will do when you get home, especially if you are able to sign up for Tesla energy in Tx. Installing a charger at home will make energy significantly cheaper than gas. No oil changes or other maintenance things except for a few checks and charging the cabin air filter, which should be really easy in the truck.
Something happens and you do need maintenance, depending on where you live or work, Tesla mobile service may be able to come out to do it. Just leave the vehicle in an space that they can access, and they'll take care of it.

And that Sienna, what can it do now that it couldn't do when you drove it off the lot?

I will guarantee you that the Cybertruck that you buy today will not be the same one that you'll have in 5 years. Tesla just keeps adding new features to the platform. and your truck will just update and get them.

Tiberius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Country flag
Im going to probably start out taking the CT down to our vacation spot in port aransas. Its about 6 hours drive and should get me familiarized with ev travel. Longer road trips to west/east coast we'll have to see. I can't imagine hauling kids with so many rest stops.

With kids in tow, im much more interested in getting to our destination.
That used to be my family.
Then we did our Santa Fe trip - what an eye opener!
Arrive at your charge stop, jump out, plug in. After bio breaks, its wandering around the shops, chatting to other owners etc, getting food/snack until the car messages you to say its time to leave.
Next stop is lunch, same thing, stop and plug in then order food. Even before lunch was done the car was telling us it was time to go. I increased the charge to give us more time as the location gave free coffees if you show your keycard or Tesla key.
At every stage the car is showing where to stop and how long to do it.
In the end we tried to avoid the gas station style chargers, partly for the smell, but also having more to do.
We diverted to take in a particularly scenic drive and the car replanned the charging options.
Completely effortless and so relaxing, truly a game changer for us.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
[CT will be my first EV]

[CT will be my first EV]

I definitely understand why you ask the question but you’re comparing a minivan to a truck. Even if you were to compare it to an ICE truck you would pay far more in gas. There is no real world example where any truck would get as great of mileage and cost as little to go that far as a minivan. You’re asking a Clydesdale to compete with Secretariat.

sigintel

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 X5M, 18 Mustang, race: 79 Stang, 93 Miata, 02TT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How much does the range drop off on CT if driving 20-25 over like we do in Texas?
Or if you one of those people that gets bored and drives “to conditions” when no other vehicles around?
Trips considered are Austin round trips:
Port Aransas
Houston/MSRH (with light track car on bed or trailered)
Dallas/Cresson
Denver, Copper, Vail

16 X5M and 18 Mustang GT current roadtrip wheels. Fuel cost not issue, just time
Sponsored