Is the additional range from the single motor to the dual worth $10k?

Iacemoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ram 1500 <> 1970 Chevy C10 Stepside Custom
Occupation
Drug Dealer
Country flag
If I'm at a traffic light beside a Ford Raptor, I can convert that driver to an EV only by being in a dual motor CT or better
Even the new Ram TRX with a supercharged 6.2L hemi with 700+ horsepower... guess what.

4.5 seconds 0-60.

At minimum its 72 grand. 20 more than the dual motor CT.

The ICE age is over. The dinosaurs (TRX, Raptor) just don't know it yet.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone else has a different opinion.

I have a reservation for a single motor which the known specs regarding payload, towing and etc exceeds my expectations for my driving habits. Upgrading to a dual motor really comes down to the additional range. Even though I would love to have the tri motor, it is too much for me and extra 50 miles for the dual for $10k more doesn't look like money well spent. On a 2000 mile drive you would have to stop to charge once or twice more with a single. That kind of trip doesn't happen often for me.
You have mentioned that the single motor exceeds your needs. 2000 miles would be rare for you, not sure if these rare trips are for family or vacation but if you are pressed for time in your travels this may have bearing on your choice. Will a single motor serve you in most of your needs is a question that you would need to consider. How have you purpose this truck hauling stuff, pulling a trailer, taking family on outings and general transportation. As far as a 1/2T truck goes single motor Cybertruck is a great value, you get a lot of truck for your hard earned cash. A dual motor tows a 10K lbs load plus the second motor for all wheel drive. You have to remember that there is more cost in maintenance of a second motor(gear oil change) drive axles. Just because it's electric it does not mean it 100% trouble free. I worked on Hybrid buses and stuff happens, I seen plenty of buses towed back to the yard. This not to scare you just more components in a dual and even more in a tri motor. It's not a thought when Cybertruck has a warranty coverage and years latter would it be tough to pay for a repair? Of course I think Tesla's truck will be better than ICE(internal combustion engine).
You have received here some great suggestion here, using a better route planner and Tesla "Go Anywhere", use them to see if the single motor will take you to your destinations. There is a commercial that has a repeated line "only pay for what you need"

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I Was thinking this same thing, I cant afford the duel, but even if I can, I wouldn't. Becuase 4wd and only 50 more miles is not worth 10k to me.
If 100-150 more miles and 4wd it would be closer to being worth it.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Everyone's answer is, predictably, the same. It's not the range, it's 4WD and the power of two motors. I sure don't want the "slow Cybertruck". I just wish it would hurry the F up and get here! It's been a year and I'm crawling out of my skin...

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
It is one thing to give up quickness. But if the single motor also can’t keep up relative to top-end speed, its another.

Does anyone have “speed” numbers for single, dual and tri-motor?

I’m surprised that the torque of the single RWD Cybertruck is not as “quick” as dual motors. Besides seeing a graph of all three, graphed truck speeds superimposed over time, what else changed on the single motor to lower that figure?

Elon’s single motor CT could be software-throttled, torque regulated and its motor wound differently to its namesake bretheren. It could be “ slower” or simply configured. Which?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Everyone has his own opinion.

I'd guess your basic dilemma stems from what you say you do for a living: assess the feature sets and costs of different options against the customer's requirements, desirements and budget. That can be tough to do. In the case of deciding which car to buy you can take the same approach but only someone buying for a fleet tends to do that. Individual consumers buy based on emotion more than on a rational thought process. For some economics must come into it. For others less so. Is the extra 50 miles worth 10K? Tesla thinks so. They have clearly studied this question in great detail and concluded that people would readily pay 10K, if they have the 10K, for this feature. That's why the are charging 10K more for it. Range is good. No question about it. Do you need it? Most of the time, no, but as one guy here said it's like extra runway. Really nice to have when you do. And it always grants extra flexibility with respect to charging when away from home. Twenty percent more range brings in 20 - 40% more charging stations on a road trip.

I'd say that unless you never go out on the road you should buy as much range as your financial comfort level allows. You won't regret it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I’m surprised that the torque of the single RWD Cybertruck is not as “quick” as dual motors. Besides seeing a graph of all three, graphed truck speeds superimposed over time, what else changed on the single motor to lower that figure?
Take away one of two identical motors and you take away half the torque and half the power. That's a surprise?

Note: The two motors are not the same in the S and X. One is an induction motor and one synchronous PM.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I can't speak for the man but i believe what he wants to know is what they did to the single motor such that it produces less torque than two motors. It's a ridiculous question and so does not require an answer.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I initially place my deposit for a Single Motor but later changed it to a Dual Motor. I don’t think the $40k Single Motor RWD model will appeal to most CT shoppers because it will be most likely be a “no frills“ base model with limited options to choose from.

I predict the base model will be exactly that with steel wheels and small tires, no floor mats, less audio speakers, cloth seats with no leather option, no fog lights, etc. I think the Single Motor will appeal to tradesman, landscapers, HVAC service companies, municipalities and fleet buyers.

Last edited:

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag

I have a reservation for a single motor which the known specs regarding payload, towing and etc exceeds my expectations for my driving habits. Upgrading to a dual motor really comes down to the additional range. Even though I would love to have the tri motor, it is too much for me and extra 50 miles for the dual for $10k more doesn't look like money well spent. On a 2000 mile drive you would have to stop to charge once or twice more with a single. That kind of trip doesn't happen often for me.
Did anything here make sense to you? For a comparison the Nissan 2020 Leaf has a 226 claimed mileage range at the cost of 31,600 USD.

Last edited:

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I initially place my deposit for a Single Motor but later changed it to a Dual Motor. I don’t think the $40k Single Motor RWD model will appeal to most CT shoppers because it will be most likely be a “no frills“ base model with limited options to choose from.

I predict the base model will be exactly that with steel wheels and small tires, no floor mats, less audio speakers, cloth seats with no leather option, no fog lights, etc. I think the Single Motor will appeal to tradesman, landscapers, HVAC service companies, municipalities and fleet buyers.
Assuming they make the single motor, didn’t they drop the cheap model 3.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Assuming they make the single motor, didn’t they drop the cheap model 3.
They did, but they did make it. Sounds like they're not going to make them for the Y.

This is why the focus on the battery factories: If batteries are the limiting factor in getting cars out the door, then they need to make more. And cheaper.

-Crissa

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
There's no telling what will be on offer when the time comes.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I think most "truck" people are not that concerned with 0-60 times and top speed. Most care about hauling, towing, and utility. (which is why you don't see a ton of those F150 Raptors out there)

To me a dual motor gives you the best combination of those for the best price tag. What it's missing is range. I believe the way Tesla is achieving the 500+ range on the Tri-Motor is they are doubling the battery pack size (maybe 2 layers of the 4680 cells stacked?). I don't see why they can't offer that same range but in a dual motor. I would gladly pay an additional 5-7k for extra battery capacity.
Sponsored