Is the additional range from the single motor to the dual worth $10k?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
$6k gets you about 8kWh in battery on the open market, or 30 miles. Tesla says they're going to be doing much, much better than that with the 4680s, but that exact information is part of their secret sauce. We don't know how much.

Right now, batteries are the expensive part.

-Crissa
Sponsored

RL20II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Energi, Porsche 911
Country flag
Absolutely. Don’t think of it as a $10k higher expense. Resale will probably yield $5k more than a single. So the question is, it’s it worth around “$5k” more in the end game?

dawootenfamily

First Name
charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Country flag
I would go with the 10k more like it was said before 250 is more like 200. also think about how tesla has jumped his range on all models. 10 k is at best 10 months try and save half of it and you will find that it makes the difference smaller.im getting the tri because I have a rv and need only the 2 motor. I will only need to replace parts overtime. even so I will not need a bigger truck. I'm sure after the 1st year all the range will go up by like 50 not including towing that is. I would just say think last truck not just cheaper truck.

Iacemoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ram 1500 <> 1970 Chevy C10 Stepside Custom
Occupation
Drug Dealer
Country flag
$6k gets you about 8kWh in battery on the open market, or 30 miles. Tesla says they're going to be doing much, much better than that with the 4680s, but that exact information is part of their secret sauce. We don't know how much.

Right now, batteries are the expensive part.

-Crissa
Well we have information from battery day. 56% cost reduction per kwh. The question is if they will pass along 100% of the savings to the end user initially (Cybertruck initial production).

My guess is probably not until 4680 production ramp and yeilds are satisfactory and across multiple factory locations.

Anyway we know that the M3 50kwh pack is about $7500. So for the 4680s we could be looking at a cost of $7500 for a 100kwh pack. Really makes the price points of the CT seem more and more realistic. All come down to execution of the 4680 cell lines. Super exciting stuff.

Battery day wasn't about debuting the most advanced and energy dense battery in the world. It was all about the enormous scalability and cost reduction that will drive down cost to beat ICE price points.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well we have information from battery day. 56% cost reduction per kwh. ....
But we don't know the starting point, so I can't give a number for future Tesla battery. Even the number you gave is an estimate. I do know the price for other batteries, though ^-^

Tesla is so far ahead it's hard to explain.

-Crissa

Civic1993

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone else has a different opinion.

I have a reservation for a single motor which the known specs regarding payload, towing and etc exceeds my expectations for my driving habits. Upgrading to a dual motor really comes down to the additional range. Even though I would love to have the tri motor, it is too much for me and extra 50 miles for the dual for $10k more doesn't look like money well spent. On a 2000 mile drive you would have to stop to charge once or twice more with a single. That kind of trip doesn't happen often for me.
I think right now we still don’t know the actual range. 300+ miles for the dual motor... what if it’s 399 miles...? Just saying there will be more info to come... hard to make that judgement call until we have the final specs
I have both a single and dual on order... really can afford the single motor...but want the dual

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I think most "truck" people are not that concerned with 0-60 times and top speed. Most care about hauling, towing, and utility. (which is why you don't see a ton of those F150 Raptors out there)

To me a dual motor gives you the best combination of those for the best price tag. What it's missing is range. I believe the way Tesla is achieving the 500+ range on the Tri-Motor is they are doubling the battery pack size (maybe 2 layers of the 4680 cells stacked?). I don't see why they can't offer that same range but in a dual motor. I would gladly pay an additional 5-7k for extra battery capacity.
I think Tesla will be able to get the Tri motor battery pack in a single layer configuration. In a video Sandy Munro did, Tesla can fit 135KWH of cells into the same space they presently use in a Model 3/Y ( 73KWH)

I am expecting Tesla will make available the larger battery pack for the dual motor at a later date, possibly once the demand for the Tri motor has subsided

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
But we don't know the starting point, so I can't give a number for future Tesla battery. Even the number you gave is an estimate. I do know the price for other batteries, though ^-^

Tesla is so far ahead it's hard to explain.

-Crissa
Actually yes we kinda do. Seen a few estimates that the current battery packs cost about $158 per kwh. They are shooting for sub $100 with the 4680. Even at 100 per kwh thats 10k for 100 kwh pack additional cost. I could live with that. many estimates say Tesla is shooting for 50-60 per kwh with the 4860 cells once all gains are realized with the combination of maufacturing technique and

I, for one, if it came down to it, and had 10k to spend on either the FSD or the 100kwh extra size pack, id go for the pack.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
There has also been confusion on the battery cost if it is at the cell or pack level, its a big difference and usually not specified

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Batteries! Too bad nikola tesla never got his wireless transmission ideas fully developed.

I wish some1 would pay me to do experiments and come up with a way to harness gravity.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Batteries! Too bad nikola tesla never got his wireless transmission ideas fully developed.

I wish some1 would pay me to do experiments and come up with a way to harness gravity.
allegedly the nazis were close in WWII

cybertruck808

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Military
Country flag
I'm curious to know if the single motor will actually ever get to production. Or if it'll go the way of the $35,000 base Model 3.

Note, while range did factor into my decision to pre-order the dual vs single motor (though when I think about it, Tesla always seems to be increasing its range projections, so it wouldn't shock me if the single motor ends up with significantly more range than currently is advertised), a more important reason is perhaps the earlier delivery timeline.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm curious to know if the single motor will actually ever get to production. Or if it'll go the way of the $35,000 base Model 3.
If I can get dual-motor at $41k, will I care that the single-motor model at $40k went away? Not really.

-Crissa
Sponsored