Is there anyway to make the CyberTruck carjack proof, (so everyone knows you can't take this car)? It has to be a super cool way of course!!!

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
In a couple of years this site will be focused on the many add-ons offered for the CT by Tesla and third-party suppliers.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I just watch a video of an attempted car jack while the owner was gassing up his car. A van pulled up, three guys jumped out and owner hosed them all down with gasoline, spraying it into the truck as it speed away, leaving the guys totally soaked. I am disappointed I won’t have that option with my new CT. Maybe we will able to zap them with high voltage..?
The closest analog is supercharging and the BEV turns off when charging. So nowthe car jackers have to get your car key, your phone, and possibly your pin-2-drive pin in a short period of time. Also, when people supercharge they don't hang out by the nozzle. When they leave or get back into the car the doors lock.

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
That is what full coverage insurance is made for. If you tightly integrate the security to the owner, you just increase the chance of kidnapping. If your CT uses biometrics everywhere, you could lose a thumb or an eyeball with your CT as well.

Then again, it would be nice to have some high voltage pins in the seat that would stick out and electrocute the driver if facial recognition fails. An absolute necessity for CT and a good learning lesson for all the friends that want to borrow it.
I cannot agree with electrocution, for several reasons. For one, all technology breaks sometimes. Would you like to be electrocuted because you got a facelift? Or a black eye? Or a cat scratch on your face?

The risk of biometric security increasing kidnappings or maimings could materialize. Who keeps those statistics?

Its a crime we've all seen in the movies, often done by the "good guys".

I think a partial solution is to always offer several biometric and non biometric options so thieves don't know for sure what is needed. With some options unlocking normal driver access and others unlocking valet mode without any indication of being in valet mode.

An example: Unlock with middle finger on fingerprint sensor for normal driver access. Unlock with index finger to enter valet mode. This allows a carjacker to feel they have won and put distance between you before geofence or speed limits stop them and allow you or police to recover the vehicle. This cannot work if normal driver access remains enabled during carjack. Seat operator presence detector is necessary to require reauthorization any time the state of driver presence changes.

Having an unknown unlock method may unfortunately increase risk of kidnapping. So they are sure to capture whatever the method is. But decrease risk of maiming to avoid spoiling an unlock method. A retry timer might help limit the number and frequency of failed attempts to unlock, but could also result in a forgetful owner being locked out of their own vehicle. As frustrating as that is for an owner, it could be equally frustrating for an assailant and may prompt additional violence.

This is an escalating arms race with each stage hurting more than the last. Lets try not to jump to the nuclear option too soon.

Last edited:

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
No, that is not really "what full coverage insurance Is made for." Insurance is made to enrich the insurer.

After paying your claim (less the deductible), they will expect to recoup the payout through cancelling your no-claims discount and/or raising your premium. If that's not likely, they can decline to renew you.

Why do you suppose that the biggest commercial buildings are often insurance HQs?

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Just a button you push. 90 second delay then the car shuts off.
There's an explosive squib in the battery management system, disconnects the battery permanently. Saw it in a Munro Video.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Just tell your CT to lock the doors with the criminal inside, and drive to the nearest police station. Or lock the doors, put it in fog mode, and call the police.

Personally, I would prefer to lock all doors, and raise the dog mode temperature to 120 degrees.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It is legal to apprehend a criminal.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Are battery vehicles less likely to he hijacked? My web search found half saying yes, half no! But there was what looked like authoritative data that Teslas have a low rate of such reports.

All makers are trying to make their vehicles theft-proof, and I'm sure that the more sophisticated the electronics, the easier it will be. But carjacking and driveway theft are not the same.

If I were a hijacker or thief I wouldn't go after an EV because I wouldn't know how to operate it! (I test-drove a "3" and didn't buy it because, with 75 years of driving experience and decades of teaching ergonomics, I found the controls and displays so unintuitive.)

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Are battery vehicles less likely to he hijacked? My web search found half saying yes, half no! But there was what looked like authoritative data that Teslas have a low rate of such reports.

All makers are trying to make their vehicles theft-proof, and I'm sure that the more sophisticated the electronics, the easier it will be. But carjacking and driveway theft are not the same.

If I were a hijacker or thief I wouldn't go after an EV because I wouldn't know how to operate it! (I test-drove a "3" and didn't buy it because, with 75 years of driving experience and decades of teaching ergonomics, I found the controls and displays so unintuitive.)
FSD will be common, and voice control will be intuitive. Blinking lights and the odd button are transient.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

There are several news reports I have seen where carjackers could not take the Tesla as they didn’t know how to drive it, so they ran away.

I test drove several 3s owned by friends and found it easy to drive. Things like wipers and such were not intuitive, but I did not have the foresight to trial those features as I was amazed at the driving experience. We’re about 13 years difference. There are aftermarket programmable function buttons for those of us who just want to press a button.

off topics, sort of, Sandy Munro’s review of the Audi E-tron is a scathing commentary.The human engineering is subpar.

Sponsored

Last edited: