JerryRigEverything: How far can the CYBERTRUCK tow 11,000lbs in Freezing Weather?

BannedByTMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
On the freeway? And you didn't know?
Yes and yes. It happens, even with navigation. Nav says "go this way", then something happens up ahead and you are taking a different, longer route.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes and yes. It happens, even with navigation. Nav says "go this way", then something happens up ahead and you are taking a different, longer route.
But the thing is, you know how much energy you have. You know how much energy you're consuming. It's simple math problem. And it's not like an ICE which you might or might not be able to coast and every slow down leaves your engine drinking heavily that range away.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another data point found on Ttwitter about EV towing mileage for a 39' 9500 lbs travel trailer: 0.9 mi / kWh.

I'm not sure there could be a worse situation. It's super-un-aerodynamic. It's very cold. He's not a very efficient driver to begin with. He's showing off with the truck.

And even then, there's still a few miles left in the battery.

-Crissa

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
But the thing is, you know how much energy you have. You know how much energy you're consuming. It's simple math problem. And it's not like an ICE which you might or might not be able to coast and every slow down leaves your engine drinking heavily that range away.

-Crissa
Yes but if you're planning to arrive at 0%, and your trip gets 5 miles longer due to a detour that just happened and navigation has no record of... Or you know, like a slowdown that causes you to be stuck between exits and having to heat the cabin while you want to get off of the highway, you are going to run into an issue at some point. That's what he's trying to say. Leaving no buffer to get to your destination is objectively not smart.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes but if you're planning to arrive at 0%, and your trip gets 5 miles longer due to a detour that just happened and navigation has no record of... Or you know, like a slowdown that causes you to be stuck between exits and having to heat the cabin while you want to get off of the highway, you are going to run into an issue at some point. That's what he's trying to say. Leaving no buffer to get to your destination is objectively not smart.
So you go half speed for 5 miles. Or drop to 60 from 80 for 10 miles. Or you see things didn't go your way and stop at a different charger.

Or you don't, and use the safety margin at the bottom. Because there is one.

It depends on the jump you're making. A mountain route I might leave a 100% buffer (aka, get to the last mile, have to turn back) while on a freeway route I'd probably leave a 0% buffer.

None of these have been proven, so don't buy the truck. There's alot of others waiting.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
I think the results are too close to call, and not enough of a difference to sway someone from buying one truck or the other based on towing range. Personally, if I planned to frequently tow any significant load over long distances, I'd stick with a diesel or gasoline truck.
Agreed, if you have a hauling business neither one will likely work.
Personally over the last couple of years with Tesla battery tech etc I expected the CT to outperform the Rivian significantly but they came out fairly close with the Rivian being able to tow a bit longer due to factors like a bigger battery.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
I currently have a Lightning.
I tow the boat....not long distances....so range is never an issue.
Although I do try to have it at 90% SOC when I head out.

I definitely would not try towing it 300-400 miles in a day.

Startreknerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
Country flag
Not a perfect test but JRE is pretty well respected and he recently did a towing test.

Not good news for towing with the CT, but props to JRE for doing the test and I believe Our Cyber Life for loaning the vehicle for testing.

Cold weather but above freezing.
zimage7237.png

Max of about 65MPH some town, city, highway.
zimage7244.png

He had to drop down to 42 on the highway in order to not run out of battery before getting to the supercharging, getting passed by cars going much faster in this 65mph zone.

The range estimation in the truck was way off.

Vault was closed
zimage7239.png

About 10,500 lbs
zimage7240.png

He got 90 miles taking the battery from 100% to 2%
So if using a typical 80% of the battery that is a range of 72 miles when towing a heavy load

He had previously run the same tests with the rivian and F150 lightning
Cybertruck 90 miles
Rivian 100 miles
Ford F150 Lightning 130 mile
s

Acceleration 0-60 was the same for all 3 trucks

Cybertruck had significantly more road noise

Had bugs/issues with vehicle graphics
zimage7241.png

A real bummer that the CT is the 3rd place truck when it comes to towing.
zimage7235.png

zimage7244.png

zimage7236.png

zimage7238.png

Credit to ourcyberlife for loaning the truck and jerryrigeverything for the test

TLDR
Towing a heavy load with the CT you are going to get about 70-90 miles in cool weather, driving at lower speeds. Less range than the Rivian and Ford tests

It's a good thing 99.999% of all trips aren't at 37° f towing 11,400 pounds.

Jethro

First Name
Jethro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (on order)
Occupation
consultant
Country flag
Well L:ightning doesn’t count at 72 degrees! Gotta do apples to apples. Have not seen a temperature/range chart.
Sponsored