Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
  • Banned
Kyle gives his thoughts after 4,500 fast miles put on the CT.

Likely one of the most, if not the most anticipated reviews, between this and Sandy Monroe's will give us a very good idea on this truck.

Overall summary/thoughts are at 35:44 min. of the video.

Long video but some highlights.

"Headlights are a problem..i couldn't see a damn thing in snow"
"megawiper is great"
"cruising on the highway...this is a just over 200 mile range truck...300 miles of range, that is not accurate.."
"steer by wire is incredible, wildly incredible"
"phone charger is the worst designed thing on the truck, it just heats up your phone"
"suspension is good"
"rear view mirror is ok until it gets dirty"
"A/T tires are not good for snow"
"cybertruck does not support chademo chargers"
"can only open and close the vault cover 4 times before it throws an error"
"you have to love talking to people, any stop is 30 minutes before you can leave due to questions"

Summary:
High build quality
Power, accelleration, traction, is phenominal
Steer by wire is next level
The range sucks
The charging is worse
Kyle likes the Rivian better than the Cybertruck for now, cybertruck still has "to prove itself"

Looking forward to range videos and cross country race against other EV trucks

4,538 miles driven
510 wh/mile (241 miles of range using 80% of the battery pack)

zimage7666.png

Coming soon the head to head challenge between the current EV trucks, will be very interesting.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JPRIVER

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016.5 s 75d
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Also he said the A/T tires were horrible in the snow, even locking up the regen breaking with no traction.

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
  • Banned
Also he said the A/T tires were horrible in the snow, even locking up the regen breaking with no traction.
Ah as someone who lives in a warmer climate I kind of mentally filtered that out, will update it.
But yea the AT tires seem like they are not great for snow, but most people driving in snow will put on a pair of dedicated snow tires.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
He was clearly going like 85 though to get that efficiency.

He also said some ignorant crap about tesla saying not to leave bugs on there and somehow that means it's not the most durable truck. Every truck manual would have the exact same warning. But those trucks would need new body panels if a shopping cart hit a door, so...

Phone charger, hard problem to solve. IPhones have a ring of magnets that make a ton of heat when not using magsafe or a perfectly aligned coil. I believe cybertruck has multiple coils to handle a wide variety of phone shapes but the way you do that is hard to be nicely compatible with magsafe.

BeleeEV

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
I haven’t watched, but from your recap, how is 241 miles at 80% considered horrible range??? That’s 311 at 100% with a guy who loves getting on it.

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
I have to laugh at how Kyle goes out of his way to find negative things to say about the CT. I think I know why. His channel depends on maintaining a reputation for doing even-handed reviews so that he can get access to other automaker's products. In general, he succeeds. But, come on! Bugs on the stainless steel? Driving 85 mph and complaining about range? I have a Samsung Note 9 that charges great in my CT. Who cares if the CT doesn't support Chademo?

Alejo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S Plaid, X, Highland 3, Cybertruck Soon!
Country flag
I feel his criticisms of Tesla are random because he’s looking to say something negative for the sake of being contrarian / or over emphasize his wishful opinion that other EVs are close to Tesla.

It’s a shame because I enjoy his reviews otherwise. But not worth watching if it’s disingenuous.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I have to laugh at how Kyle goes out of his way to find negative things to say about the CT. I think I know why. His channel depends on maintaining a reputation for doing even-handed reviews so that he can get access to other automaker's products. In general, he succeeds. But, come on! Bugs on the stainless steel? Driving 85 mph and complaining about range? I have a Samsung Note 9 that charges great in my CT. Who cares if the CT doesn't support Chademo?
I agree. That said, this is one of Kyle's least biased Tesla reviews, you can see he's trying to come accross as more even-handed, but you can still see where he still has to dig to find some negative things to say. The fact that he is overall positive on Cybertruck is just a reflection on how good the product is. Privately, he has told friends the Cybertruck is his new favorite, publicly he says the Cybertruck has to prove itself over time.

I think part of Kyle losing the strong anti-Tesla bias he had for a couple of years is that he expected (and wanted) the competition to show up in great numbers and at great prices. I think he thought he was in a position to help make that happen. Reality has struck and it slowly dawned on him that Tesla really does have some special manufacturing skill that allows them to offer significantly more value than any other manufacturer and any serious competion at high volume is simply nowhere in sight. With Tesla holding the bulk of the sales for the forseeable future he needs to keep a more balanced perspective if he wants his channel to keep growing.

I also think Kyle felt personally slighted by Tesla at some point, I don't follow him closely enough to know about what, and that drove him to "bite back" at Tesla. It wasn't very professional of him, but Kyle is a human too, and it's hard for people to be even-handed when they feel slighted by the company they are writing about.

Agree the part of about insects was ridiculous. Even I don't think Kyle is that blatantly biased so I will just chalk it up to ignorance of materials science. The stainless is many times less suceptible to insects compared to a thin, fragile clearcoat. It looks like Kyle has no clue about that.

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I feel his criticisms of Tesla are random because he’s looking to say something negative for the sake of being contrarian / or over emphasize his wishful opinion that other EVs are close to Tesla.

It’s a shame because I enjoy his reviews otherwise. But not worth watching if it’s disingenuous.
I basically judge someone on their entire body of work, which is why I have been waiting on Kyle to review and range test, some call him a Tesla shill, other call him a hater. I think if you watch his videos with a strong bias you can come up with that for any of the vehicles he reviews but no doubt he is one of the more respected reviewers out there and I was waiting on this review and his range test videos for quite a while.

Alejo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S Plaid, X, Highland 3, Cybertruck Soon!
Country flag
I basically judge someone on their entire body of work, which is why I have been waiting on Kyle to review and range test, some call him a Tesla shill, other call him a hater. I think if you watch his videos with a strong bias you can come up with that for any of the vehicles he reviews but no doubt he is one of the more respected reviewers out there and I was waiting on this review and his range test videos for quite a while.
Did you enjoy the range test in freezing temps at 80+mph with the certain conclusion that the range is 2/3rds of what Tesla says? Or the random criticisms that the bazillion other reviewers didn't pick up on? How about his girl's 300th time saying the CT is ugly?

Keep on keeping on 🍻

sharpgator

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan, M3
Country flag
Agree the part of about insects was ridiculous.
I've been thinking...If this truck is as easy to wrap as some predict, why can't I apply ppl to the front only when I'm going on a trip during bug season. Pull it off when I get back home.

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've been thinking...If this truck is as easy to wrap as some predict, why can't I apply ppl to the front only when I'm going on a trip during bug season. Pull it off when I get back home.
You can, there are some companies, I think even some forum sponsors that have PPF DIY kids, and you get just get ones for the front.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Seems like a lot of unnecessary work, a waste of personal time and disposable income.

The easy-care nature of (and difficulty to damage) Cybertruck is one of its strongest selling points.

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seems like a lot of unnecessary work, a waste of personal time and disposable income.

The easy-care nature of (and difficulty to damage) Cybertruck is one of its strongest selling points.
Biggest appeal from day 1 was the tough and durable nature of no paint stainless steel.
Sponsored