Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Slightly pedantic of me, but I disagree with the blanket statement that more lights increases visibility on the road.
Eyes dark adapt, the brain ignores things that don't fit. Etc etc.
More lights and brighter lights do not make anything more visible, they can make something more confusing and make it take longer for the brain to identify.
While the brain is struggling to identify the confusing information it is not doing anything like avoiding hitting the confusing object. This is why people slam into police cars that look like a Christmas tree.
In fact the safest lights would be identical to all other lights , require all cars to have identical lights, at the same height and same distance between at the same brightness (yes boring, but still safest).
Visibility is not actually a problem usually, the problem is brain identifying and reacting appropriately.
True. Studies show that people who are drowsy or altered tend to be attracted to a bright light (moths to a flame). The emergency vehicle turns on the bright lights and flashers to be seen. The driver then unconsciously drives toward the bright light.

I experienced it myself, avoided the mishap and took the first opportunity to pull over and take a safety nap.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
True. Studies show that people who are drowsy or altered tend to be attracted to a bright light (moths to a flame). The emergency vehicle turns on the bright lights and flashers to be seen. The driver then unconsciously drives toward the bright light.

I experienced it myself, avoided the mishap and took the first opportunity to pull over and take a safety nap.
Target fixation happens day or night. It sucks when target fixation happens, but it is quite common. One of the many things that future humans that only ride in cars will point to as how dumb it was for human drivers to be allowed to drive. (far in the future I hope). I just had an issue with target fixation last week while riding my MTB. I was riding down a mountain fire road that had some deep grooves from a vehicle driving through mud in our recent rains. I was looking at about a looking at what looked like a 8" mud curb on the side of the road, and next thing I know I'm rail riding against the darn thing. Once you get stuck against a curb on a bicycle you know you're screwed. Anyway, I took the opportunity to dive off onto some nice green grass with not much consequence, and then had to explain to my riding partners what an idiot I was for allowing myself into a target fixation scenario like that. Here's a photo of the mountain road. It was worth the lesson.

Tesla Cybertruck Leak images of Cybertruck analysis Tail Gate Lights islands

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
Plus lights destroy night vision and make it more difficult to see things which are not lit up. Not a huge deal on the highway, but on backroads it is.
Except for red light, it doesn't affect night vision.