Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP, MYLR
Occupation
Detention Officer, Retired Police Officer
Country flag
I’m slightly surprised by seeing the trailer pin connection down low. Normally it’s up by the license plate. When I worked for Ram I thought most manufacturers put it up there to keep it a little bit more protected from road dirt and grime.
I think it's more about strength , it can pull over 14k lbs.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
It will have them by law here in Australia, so the parts will exist to do so. And be available for salvage as soon as some Campbelltown dickhead in a WRX runs a red light after a night on the VB's.
TRUE

Tesla are fixing stoplights too far outboard with too wide a separation in between. Landrover made this mistake in its early Discovery I trucks and found that they had rearend collisions. Discovery II’s were fitted with larger stoplights and added a 4th brake light in the middle.

The Disco I owned was summarily retired after a US Navy dude drove into the backend. It was stopped at a semaphore with brake lights burning. He swore he couldn’t see the car stopped or the brake lights. I was third car in a line of vehicles stopped.

Cybertruck is doomed to repeat history without a tailgate reThunk. Its cute taillights in the quarterpanel, very car kitsch. But trucks are bigger, present field a view that’s problematic.

FWIW

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I think it's more about strength , it can pull over 14k lbs.
Just lazy, prototype stuff for show.

The receiver for the hitch can mount higher where it would be in-line with CE.

No 14k load is going to be pulled with that hitch mounted so low. I’m guessing hitch wt. will max. ~12K lbs. The 14-16k pulls will be 5th wheel trailers.

I think @HaulingAss brought up an astute observation that no tire can haul that much weight. So Tesla must have a shoe to drop to meet its humblebrag for the Cybertruck.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Just lazy, prototype stuff for show.

The receiver for the hitch can mount higher where it would be in-line with CE.

No 14k load is going to be pulled with that hitch mounted so low. I’m guessing hitch wt. will max. ~12K lbs. The 14-16k pulls will be 5th wheel trailers.

I think @HaulingAss brought up an astute observation that no tire can haul that much weight. So Tesla must have a shoe to drop to meet its humblebrag for the Cybertruck.
This is a bunch of BS.

Reciever height has little to do with tow ratings. The reciever is put where it's safe and the ball height is determined by the ball mount that slides into the reciever. Different trailer designs require different ball heights. Under braking, a lower reciever height (compared to the ball) is actually a small benefit because it transfers weight to the front wheels.

There is nothing lazy or prototype about it, it's where the reciever will end up.

And I never said anything like you claimed I said. Tires regularly haul much more weight than the Cybertruck tires will ever see, even with a full load or when towing at its maximum tow rating. You're just talking silly there.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
You are parked front into parking spot in a packed parking lot at the mall, trying to back out of the spot as you are leaving. Random family of parents with two kids are walking up the aisle perpendicular to you, flush up against your side of the aisle. You put it in reverse to back out, none of that family walking up past you can tell you are in reverse and starting to back up just as they walk in front of you, because the reverse lights are tucked into the plate alcove they have no line of sight for. You can't see them because they're is a van parked next to you. Who loses in this situation? Don't give me any "fsd will save me crap" cause you cannot depend on fsd being active in every CT at every moment like this. And even if you have a rear facing camera that you might see them coming, you are not 100% attentive or able to notice everything every time. Those reverse lights are there to give everyone around you the best possible chance to know what you are doing and act accordingly in the event that you don't notice them. Take one safety feature away and that's when the bad stuff starts happening more often. Try telling the FAA that it's ok to slack on one safety regulation and see where that leads to.

You gonna tell me that those reverse lights are acceptably placed for this situation? I can think of plenty of other situations to prove those reverse lights are poorly placed and terribly thought out. These safety regulations built into vehicles are there for very specific reasons as a result of mistakes over time that can be more easily prevented through these design features.
I have 3 little kids and am that parent. Those reverse lights suck.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
You are parked front into parking spot in a packed parking lot at the mall, trying to back out of the spot as you are leaving. Random family of parents with two kids are walking up the aisle perpendicular to you, flush up against your side of the aisle. You put it in reverse to back out, none of that family walking up past you can tell you are in reverse and starting to back up just as they walk in front of you, because the reverse lights are tucked into the plate alcove they have no line of sight for. You can't see them because they're is a van parked next to you. Who loses in this situation? Don't give me any "fsd will save me crap" cause you cannot depend on fsd being active in every CT at every moment like this. And even if you have a rear facing camera that you might see them coming, you are not 100% attentive or able to notice everything every time.
Other similar situations are exiting alley ways between closely spaced buildings/walls/fences or exiting driveways between parked vehicles .

This is also why FSD and Robotaxis need more cameras. There need to be cameras at each cornrer of the vehicle and the main direction of the camera's focus must be 90 degree ( directly perpendicular to the body length). With the corner cameras the FSD/Robotaxi vehicle only needs to peep out only inches instead of several feet.

Last edited:

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Thanks for the VERY interesting video..!!
My absolute favorite video. He’s a former Tesla employee from Nevada and had some special access.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
in essence, Tesla plans to start mid 23, and ramp up to full production by the end of 23.

Reporters really do like the glass half full approach.

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri motor, tesla 3 performance
Occupation
Digital Operations Engineer
Country flag
Most likely it will be active every time you drive.

This old video is from a prototype which likely doesn’t have rear steer at all. These things were hand build and are missing final features. One lacks a rear window and a couple of them seem to lack the sliding vault cover.
It will not be active everytime you drive because you wont need rear steering every time you drive. thats why its called crab walk on the hummer. its not active until you choose that option in the settings. rear steering is only for tight situations and manuevering but driving on the high way you wont need it either.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
It will not be active everytime you drive because you wont need rear steering every time you drive. thats why its called crab walk on the hummer. its not active until you choose that option in the settings. rear steering is only for tight situations and manuevering but driving on the high way you wont need it either.
We don't know how Tesla will implement 4WS, but it has advantages at all speeds and in many situations. For example:

At higher speeds (usually over 30 or 40 MPH), the rear wheel turn slightly in the same direction as the front wheels. This is known as “in-phase steering and allows the vehicle to be more stable during high speed corning. The vehicle actually leans less in and out of a corner since both axles share the turning forces instead of just the front.
The above is from:

https://oards.com/four-wheel-steering-system-info/
Sponsored