Let's talk tow ratings? Why would the Dual-Motor and Tri-Motor have different CVWR?

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Sounds counter productive to run your whole cooling and drivetrain system to get rid of heat generated by regen, while you have completely normal brakes onboard that will do the same with minimal wear and tear?

I'd be the first one to turn it off. Rather replace brake pads than motors, inverter, and cooling system etc.

Sounds like one of those hypotheticals again, and all just to improve pedal feel, which would probably be the worst reason.

What they should do is have charge stations on the way down the hill, so you can pull over and charge up the vehicles going up the hill if your battery gets to full. V2V would be good for that too. Then at the top fill up the bed with water, and you'd have perpetual hill climbing capability... :oops:

But honestly...just don't fill up your EV to 100% if you know your going down a big hill. That solves the whole problem and avoids losing energy to any heat generation. Better for battery cycle life as well not to charge it full.
So youā€™re going on a long trip. You charge to 100% before youā€™re trip. As you drive away from your house, you approach a stop light. The new process gives you the same pedal feel and stopping you are used to. I donā€™t think those occasional events are going to destroy, or even have an effect on the inverters and motors. If youā€™re coming down from the mountains, then you probably arenā€™t going to charge to 100%.
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I cannot find the source, so I am not sure...

But I HATE the Leaf and the different way it drives when cold or the battery is full.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
So youā€™re going on a long trip. You charge to 100% before youā€™re trip. As you drive away from your house, you approach a stop light. The new process gives you the same pedal feel and stopping you are used to. I donā€™t think those occasional events are going to destroy, or even have an effect on the inverters and motors. If youā€™re coming down from the mountains, then you probably arenā€™t going to charge to 100%.
But there's no meaningful increase in battery SoC from just braking at a stop light.

Meaning even if you have a stoplight in front of your house you will discharge more energy getting up to speed than you will gain back slowing down. Then the question becomes at what level of braking are you slowing down, and if it is so hard why?

Note that 100% SoC shown on the gauge, or as the charge level, isn't the same as the actual internal pack level or SoC.

So if it is "just" so that one pedal driving feel is the same then the question would be what is the maximum rate of deceleration is this, and then simply match that to the minimum amount achievable to regen into the batteries. It's highly likely this regen deceleration level, in the 10kW's is sufficient for one pedal driving, and in no way needs to burden the drivetrain and cooling system beyond that. Mixing in hydraulic brakes would just be a few lines of code away otherwise.

The only advantage doing it that way would be to increase the drivetrain/battery/cabin temperature on cold days with a full pack. But then the question would be why you have a full pack from charging, and the system didn't precondition the pack first?

I dunno sounds like a weird way of doing it to me.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
But there's no meaningful increase in battery SoC from just braking at a stop light.

Meaning even if you have a stoplight in front of your house you will discharge more energy getting up to speed than you will gain back slowing down. Then the question becomes at what level of braking are you slowing down, and if it is so hard why?

Note that 100% SoC shown on the gauge, or as the charge level, isn't the same as the actual internal pack level or SoC.

So if it is "just" so that one pedal driving feel is the same then the question would be what is the maximum rate of deceleration is this, and then simply match that to the minimum amount achievable to regen into the batteries. It's highly likely this regen deceleration level, in the 10kW's is sufficient for one pedal driving, and in no way needs to burden the drivetrain and cooling system beyond that. Mixing in hydraulic brakes would just be a few lines of code away otherwise.

The only advantage doing it that way would be to increase the drivetrain/battery/cabin temperature on cold days with a full pack. But then the question would be why you have a full pack from charging, and the system didn't precondition the pack first?

I dunno sounds like a weird way of doing it to me.
I didnā€™t ask for a change. I didnā€™t even write the code! Iā€™m not trying to justify it. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s a good or bad idea. Heck, all Iā€™m doing is telling you what I saw reported. I havenā€™t thought about how it works, or where the extra electrons go, or if they all hold hands to support the exoskeleton!

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I didnā€™t ask for a change. I didnā€™t even write the code! Iā€™m not trying to justify it. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s a good or bad idea. Heck, all Iā€™m doing is telling you what I saw reported. I havenā€™t thought about how it works, or where the extra electrons go, or if they all hold hands to support the exoskeleton!
Sure I know that, but it's still worth a few brain cycles to understand if or if it doesn't make sense, and if the assumed reason is accurate or not. There are many things that are non-sensical at first glance, but on closer inspection are sensible with a new understanding and perspective.

Generally, any use of regen will reduce range simply because of the energy changes involved between conversions, when decelerating and accelerating, causes energy loss. So if we have energy "intentionally leaking" to some other form that is unrecoverable, I simply question if it's the "right thing to do" or if there would be better method, that would avoid losing that potential.

Anyone defending another's claim, be it true or false, only gives rise to a better understanding overall, for all involved. So no loss in my book. So long the realization of the truth doesn't take pages of exoskeleton talk!! :D šŸ˜œ;):ROFLMAO:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I believe I red this is a new feature that is intended to give the same regen/single pedal feel and feature when the battery is at 100% as it is when the battery is at less than 100%.
That would be awesome. Porsche does some secret sauce to make it the same, too.

-Crissa
Sponsored