Kickgas

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
So I hold 1 CT reservation and like everyone here having a hard time waiting. In the meantime my model S is getting old. When new it got (if recalling correctly) 265 miles of range. Now when charged to 80% it gets to 148. So what can I expect to do with the car when the battery degrades further to the point it gets unusable? I was hoping that I could swap the battery pack and the drive unit for the latest tech when the time comes. Does anyone know if you can just go get your model S renewed? I would like to give it a plaid upgrade someday is that out of the question? As long as the chassis stays the same I assume the battery will be replaceable but what about upgrading? Thanks in advance and if I need to post this elsewhere please let me know where and ill fix
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
So I hold 1 CT reservation and like everyone here having a hard time waiting. In the meantime my model S is getting old. When new it got (if recalling correctly) 265 miles of range. Now when charged to 80% it gets to 148. So what can I expect to do with the car when the battery degrades further to the point it gets unusable? I was hoping that I could swap the battery pack and the drive unit for the latest tech when the time comes. Does anyone know if you can just go get your model S renewed? I would like to give it a plaid upgrade someday is that out of the question? As long as the chassis stays the same I assume the battery will be replaceable but what about upgrading? Thanks in advance and if I need to post this elsewhere please let me know where and ill fix
I don't know your situation. But isn't that battery under warranty? 8 years 150,000 miles holding at least 70%. When I do the math, 70% of 265=185, and 80% of 185 is 148. So does your car qualify?

OP
OP

Kickgas

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
I don't know your situation. But isn't that battery under warranty? 8 years 150,000 miles holding at least 70%. When I do the math, 70% of 265=185, and 80% of 185 is 148. So does your car qualify?
It is past that on time, I asked about this after needing a tow a while back during warranty and they looked into the logs and stuff they said and determined it was not. This car has been towed 4-5 times now, since we got it new we learned its only good for in city use. Right now its between 40-45K miles on odo

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Related questions.
On the OPs Model S, he says the mileage has dropped.
1. Could that be because the estimated mileage is based on driving habits?
2. Could the way he drives affect the predicted mileage or is thta based on ideal driving conditions?
3. My wife's Model Y... Does the mileage estimate change based on WHO is driving? In other words, if my wife got into the driver's seat right after me, would she see a different number of miles remaining? (I can check this one out this afternoon)
4. Could his mileage be different now because his MS used to just show ideal driving range and NOW, after many updates, is showing a more realistic, driver based mileage?

If so, it would explain that the battery isn't the problem but that the problem lies more with the Biological based accelerator pedal actuator?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Related questions.
On the OPs Model S, he says the mileage has dropped.
1. Could that be because the estimated mileage is based on driving habits?
2. Could the way he drives affect the predicted mileage or is thta based on ideal driving conditions?
3. My wife's Model Y... Does the mileage estimate change based on WHO is driving? In other words, if my wife got into the driver's seat right after me, would she see a different number of miles remaining? (I can check this one out this afternoon)
4. Could his mileage be different now because his MS used to just show ideal driving range and NOW, after many updates, is showing a more realistic, driver based mileage?

If so, it would explain that the battery isn't the problem but that the problem lies more with the Biological based accelerator pedal actuator?
What I find troubling is that he bought it new, it has only 40K total miles on it, and the battery has degraded so much. Does he pull it out once a month for a Costco run? How is this even possible? If this is true then it doesn't matter how you use the vehicle the battery will degrade one way or the other. That is what everyone will fear, including me. It means nothing to tell me that my newest-technology battery will last a million miles if it will only last 5 years.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It is past that on time, I asked about this after needing a tow a while back during warranty and they looked into the logs and stuff they said and determined it was not. This car has been towed 4-5 times now, since we got it new we learned its only good for in city use. Right now its between 40-45K miles on odo
I'm sorry, what?

None of what you're saying follows any data matching wider Tesla owner experience.

Are you sure you're looking at the right screens? You can take photos and upload them into the forum.

-Crissa

Deleted member 5322

Could be seeing trip A distance, or trip B, or whatever it is. Sorry, I don’t have Tesla and have no idea how it is shown there. But many cars I owned hade these Trips readings…

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
...In the meantime my model S is getting old. When new it got (if recalling correctly) 265 miles of range. Now when charged to 80% it gets to 148.
That is horrible.

... This car has been towed 4-5 times now, since we got it new we learned its only good for in city use. Right now its between 40-45K miles on odo
Gone from horrible to nightmare. No effing way would I still own this car.

You've had the car for over 8 yrs and only put 45k miles on it? My 90yr old grandmother drives more than that.

Please expand on your charging habits so I know what not to do.

OP
OP

Kickgas

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
Wish i could delete this thread - mods please help me take this post away i dont need to be piled on any more than the way life is going lately

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Wish i could delete this thread - mods please help me take this post away i dont need to be piled on any more than the way life is going lately
Honestly, if your story is true, I would want to help you get a warranty repair.

If you at all came in and reported to Tesla this reduction in range or performance, and they failed to fix it before the warranty was up, they are still liable.

Warranty is the date of the claim, they can't run out the clock by denying or failing to fulfill it.

-Crissa
Sponsored