A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
As its highly likely the Dual Motor Cybertruck will weigh very close to the Model S, 5095 lbs. (for reasons explained elsewhere). Maybe less !
The range would be very similar to the Model S’, 390 miles.
You are as free to speculate as anyone but keep in mind that while the mass related loads (inertial and gravitational) are the dominant loads in an ICE vehicle in the urban/suburban setting that is not so much the case on the freeway and even less so in urban/suburban or freeway setting with a BEV because the drag load assumes more relevance when regenerative braking is used to recoup much of the inertial and gravitational loads. The CT's are bigger vehicles than even the X and are going to have larger drag loads (even if Cd is about the same because of larger frontal area). Thus I am quite confident that consumption will be at least 350 Wh/mi and perhaps more for these vehicles. Note that 350*500 = 175 kWh as the necessary battery size for the TriMotor which feels about right,

Now should Tesla come up with some miraculous improvement in battery specs do we think they will tell us "Hey guys, we were being conservative. Your truck's range isn't 500 mi. It is really 700."? They might do that but I rather think they would quietly take 2/7 ths of the cells out of the battery pack in order to deliver a 500 mi vehicle as promised at a lower price or at higher profit or as some combination of those two. I am not saying this speculation is any more valid than anyone else's but I'd be very surprised if the initial releases of the trucks would do more than they are currently advertised to do.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DarthMuffin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Spark EV, Cybertruck reserved
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
They also clearly state an option will exist to get an additional battery (capacity unknown) for the Dual Motor Cybertruck. The standard battery capacity on the Dual Motor, while not confirmed is believed to be 100kwh.
Thank you for that info! I'd better start saving my pennies for that extra pack.

I suspect they are pulling the same stunt with the cybertruck as they did with the semi. The numbers could be goals of range when towing. They could be doing this because they don't know if the technology will be available at the time or to suprise people. This is pure speculation but considering we hear reports of the semi out performing those initial numbers when towing max it makes sense.
I think you probably are on to something there. It's likely the optimistic numbers that the guys in the labs are saying for new batteries. Hopefully problems realizing that in production are not what's delaying battery day. Most companies now (especially startups) seem to operate on an overpromise/underdeliver model. Tesla seems far better than most but not immune to the problem.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
If battery tech significantly increases range across all trims, this would be a game changer both for towing and the competition. We can hope...
I only ordered tri for range. I could see a much bigger market for the lower trims being much more affordable. Similarly those that have to tow will now consider the higher trims as viable. He’s going to need a few more giga factories though!
same here. wanted the longest range so reserved the tri-motor.
a single or double with longer range would be perfectly fine by me. ??
maybe it would come with a higher trim level, or that could then be added with the money saved versus the tri-motor.

quickrch

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford E350 Van, 2014 Ford Focus SE, 2015 Volkswagen Passat, 2006 Subaru Outback Legacy
Occupation
I count things
Country flag
I'd like 4 wheel drive and longer range. I won't tow, I'll commute and put some stuff in the back on the weekend. I am more likely to be bringing food in the climate controlled volt to a family outing than I am hauling a trailer. Range, Range, and 4-wheel drive. I reserved the tri motor but I doubt I will get it, financially it would be a stretch and I don't need the third motor capacity and would rather have range, nice seats, and better driving experience.

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara, Hulux Invincible
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You are as free to speculate as anyone but keep in mind that while the mass related loads (inertial and gravitational) are the dominant loads in an ICE vehicle in the urban/suburban setting that is not so much the case on the freeway and even less so in urban/suburban or freeway setting with a BEV because the drag load assumes more relevance when regenerative braking is used to recoup much of the inertial and gravitational loads. The CT's are bigger vehicles than even the X and are going to have larger drag loads (even if Cd is about the same because of larger frontal area). Thus I am quite confident that consumption will be at least 350 Wh/mi and perhaps more for these vehicles. Note that 350*500 = 175 kWh as the necessary battery size for the TriMotor which feels about right,

Now should Tesla come up with some miraculous improvement in battery specs do we think they will tell us "Hey guys, we were being conservative. Your truck's range isn't 500 mi. It is really 700."? They might do that but I rather think they would quietly take 2/7 ths of the cells out of the battery pack in order to deliver a 500 mi vehicle as promised at a lower price or at higher profit or as some combination of those two. I am not saying this speculation is any more valid than anyone else's but I'd be very surprised if the initial releases of the trucks would do more than they are currently advertised to do.

I don’t dispute your figures but how does this figure into the equation...?
As you say they could simply downsize batteries.
https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tes...0-range-tri-motor?_pos=1&_sid=3bbc6b2cf&_ss=r

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
Tesla can simply downsize or upsize battery usage by software as they do when a mass evacuation is called and Tesla steps up and by a quick software update extends the range of vehicles in the path of a storm.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Tesla can simply downsize or upsize battery usage by software as they do when a mass evacuation is called and Tesla steps up and by a quick software update extends the range of vehicles in the path of a storm.
Has that actually happened? It'd be interesting to read about it. thx.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
E and F are arbitrary marks on your fuel gauge (and the battery SoC indicator on a BEV is nothing more than a fuel gauge. Lets consider a propane tank. A 1000 gal tank's gauge reads "full" when it has 800 gal in it (because code requires 200 gal for expansion) and may read E when there are in fact 100 gal left in order to encourage you to call for a fill before it it is too late. The manufacturer could install fuel gauges that have 850 or 900 or 950 gal fuel available between the E and F marks. Tesla can do the same in its cars. It can move the E and F marks closer together (to force you to stay out of the SoC regions which are detrimental to battery longevity) or it can move them farther apart to make you think you have a bigger battery. They are not increasing battery capacity when they do this. They are merely giving you access to more of the battery than previously.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Rumors are it will be a “jelly roll” type of construction and larger in size. Elon, bring on battery day already. We wants facts straight from the horses mouth!

frankenbeans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek, Cybertruck on order
Country flag
I too would like to buy that combination. Not that I need the range (I live on an island), but having the biggest possible powerwall in my car would be nice backup when a hurricane hits.
Big battery plus solar option would be great.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
If Motortrend exclusive article with Cybertruck is to be believed, from their time inside the Tesla design studio reviewing the Cybertruck and interviewing Franz and others.

A Cybertruck will simply come with 2 battery packs, one stacked on top of the other.

Therefore its believed 2 x 100kwh is the Tri Motor. (There are other reasons to support this.)

They also clearly state an option will exist to get an additional battery (capacity unknown) for the Dual Motor Cybertruck. The standard battery capacity on the Dual Motor, while not confirmed is believed to be 100kwh.

P.S. While counter intuitive to 3mm thick Stainless Steel contruction, the Cybertruck will be a light
vehicle ( considering its very capable load and towing capacity ) as it is an Exoskeleton.

Confirmation of this is Tesla’s letter to CARB confirming vehicle classification is Class 2B-3 medium duty. All inclusive, curb weight will be between 5000 - 6500 lbs. for all 3 versions.

( Unless they are being coy with the single motor, in which case it would not surprise me if it comes in the 4000 lbs range )

It is speculation on my part, but for reasons given elsewhere, I expect Dual Motor Range will be defined as about 380 miles, and Tri Motor Range of about 620 miles.
Where did you see the option of larger packs for the dual motor?