Make Your Cybertruck Size Guess. How big will it be?

How big do you think the Cybertruck is?

• 80" x 217" (Rivian Sized)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 85" x 230" (Wide Tundra)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
In another thread I described why I think the CT will be 81" x 220" and I'll go over it again below.

I grabbed an overhead image of the latest prototype and resized it so that each if pixel were an inch it would reveal what the proportions of the body would be.
I started with the roughly accepted width of 5 feet for the bed interior. If the bed is 5 feet wide that makes the length, by ratio, to be 220" and the width to be 81". Also, the length of the bed becomes 5.5 feet.

On top of that, the prototype has 3 yellow marker lights which are required for vehicles over 80" in width.

So, my money is on 81" x 220". It can't be longer at that width and keep its physical proportions. Also, the bed proportions get nonsensical at other sizes. To make the bed 6.5 feet long the total size goes to 87 x 236 (that's a huge truck) and the bed width becomes 5 1/2 feet. That would be one of the widest truck beds in the industry, and that's clearly not the case.

Withbed.jpg

That's all assuming that the camera lens isn't distorting the proportions excessively.

What size do you all think?
Sponsored

HUM469

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Dual motor one day (position 71k on res. #)
Country flag
There is a hell of a lot of distortion in that image because it's a small scale (1" or less) drone camera with a very wide angle lens, at a less than optimum height for the focal length. Distortion is guaranteed basically. You can see it in your crop. The front of the truck is very close to the edge of your crop, while the middle pulls away. The wheel well touches the edge of the frame, but the back is even further away on the driver side, while the passenger side is pretty consistently flush with the frame. I know a test mule/prototype/whatever generation this one is doesn't need to be perfect, but I also know it's not shaped like an S or a Rhombus.

The one interesting thing is that if we can assume we are over the bed as the closest thing to center, then that means the bed top will effectively lean in, meaning we can't even see the full size of the bed floor thanks to barrel distortion. It's therefor possible that this image confirms the 6.5 foot bed length spec that was already stated as certainly as the towing and payload capacities. Of course to really calculate that for sure, we will need to know the model of the drone to get the actual sensor size and focal length, as well as the exact height it was flying at this moment, and the depth of the bed to calculate the total difference in perspective and the resulting enlargement of the nearer bed rim, versus the further bed floor. But I'm not holding my breath that we can get it all....

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
There is a hell of a lot of distortion in that image ... we will need to know the model of the drone to get the actual sensor size and focal length, as well as the exact height it was flying at this moment, and the depth of the bed to calculate the total difference in perspective and the resulting enlargement of the nearer bed rim, versus the further bed floor. But I'm not holding my breath that we can get it all....
Yes, we know the data we have isn't ideal. The goal is to use any clues you have and make an estimate to the best of your ability.

Live a little... Use the limited info you have to see how close you get, and talk about your methods and reasoning, that's all. We're not guessing CT size for world peace.

HUM469

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Dual motor one day (position 71k on res. #)
Country flag
What can I say, I've always been a fan of physics calculations and perspective issues of photography are a lot of fun because such tiny deviation can make massive differences.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with @John K, most likely it’ll be pretty close to the original but somewhere between 4-8 inches shorter.

No idea about the width, but I suspect it’ll be fairly similar to the original in terms of width so long as they can preserve the bed width at something around 52” wide.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think the width you have listed above as “Original” is wrong. There is a tweet from Musk bouncing around talking about the width being 85 inches and potentially reducing it to 82. Unfortunately I don’t have the link and… lazy.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
My guess would be 82" x 222-223"

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That Musk tweet was bouncing around another thread.

So the earlier prototype was 84” wide and Musk was talking about a *shrink* to 82”. Maybe the 79“ number is not counting the wheels and wheel wells which are a little proud??

Edit: If this were some other executive, I’d probably just write it off, but Musk lives on details and the Cybertruck is his baby, near zero chance he’d get this wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I just used the dimensions given at the original unveil as the "Original" recipe size.

Tesla Cybertruck Make Your Cybertruck Size Guess.  How big will it be? CTOGSize

I realized while doing the poll there were a ton of options. So I tried to create a low rez gamut of choices.

I may redo the poll to have width in one set, and length on the other.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I just used the dimensions given at the original unveil as the "Original" recipe size.

CTOGSize.jpg

I realized while doing the poll there were a ton of options. So I tried to create a low rez gamut of choices.

I may redo the poll to have width in one set, and length on the other.
I still can’t see Musk being that far off target. It must be the wheel width versus the body width. If it was 79” at the outside of the wheels, that would make it narrower than the Rivian which doesn’t follow.

The Cybertruck is a bit like the old step side pickups only with half steps. They can make the inside of the bed flat sided because the wheels are pushed outside of the body.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
82.15" x 228"
Without the mirrors.
You heard it here first!

Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
81.5” x 224” is my prediction but for this poll I went with 83” x 225”.
Sponsored