Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How about 3mm cold-rolled 30x type stainless steel?
A) that weighs alot more than the glass they're using.
B) that would transfer more stress from damage to the frame.
C) more weight transfer to the frame means more likely to total the vehicle.

The armor glass isn't thin. It will be thicker than the stainless steel sides.

Cracked glass can be replaced easily. Bent steel has to be cut out, and has a higher chance of transferring damaging loads to the frame.

Lastly, you keep assuming 3mm steel is cheaper than the armor glass. That's not in evidence, actually.

And yes, the armor glass is harder than than hardened stainless steel. 'Glass' and 'steel' do overlap, so a hardened steel point will scratch basic glass. But ceramic glass and sapphire are harder than even that. And hardened stainless is still not as hard as a cobalt point.

-Crissa

PS, the cabin of a Tesla is designed to save you, not the vehicle, in event of damage to it. So you really don't want weigh transfer to the core passenger capsule, that will total the vehicle.
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I think we all now know your opinion; you don't want a glass roof on your truck. We get it. Can we leave it at that?
I believe I have mostly posted info that has not been presented before.

Does having more facts & info cause a problem?

I want the glass roof. I love the glass on the Model 3 and Y
I already agreed that glass roof was pretty nice feature for cars.
I hope to have a Tesla car one day. I really want a Model X but I do not think that will ever happen.

Several Cybertrucks first and later if I am lucky a Model Y with glass roof.

I am not a contractor
I am involved in several businesses. Cybertrucks are the first EVs and main vehicles we will be using.

I couldn't agree more that the truck design should be fueled 100% by functional considerations - but isn't that what Tesla has been doing with the CT without exception?
Yes, Elon & Tesla are very good but they are not perfect.
I think in future history books of years 2000-2030, Elon will be lauded just like Edison, N. Tesla, Howard Hughes were in 20th century. In the long run Elon might beat all of them.

I do not make up this info. I have spent 10s of hours researching this.
I have no direct contact with Tesla.

Getting info to others is all I can do.

If the glass cannot stand up to that kind of abuse it really has no place in a commercial vehicle. And neither does steel. As soon as it bends or creases it is compromised and begins to rust. The glass might even be better in that way.
Bent or creased 3mm cold-rolled 30x type stainless steel is not going to rust.

I have not seen any evidence that a thin armor glass (without cracking) can compete with 3mm cold-rolled 30x type stainless steel for impact resistance.

In fact most of us saw a demo where the glass cracked and the 3mm cold-rolled 30x type stainless steel did not even dent.

And yes the not cracking part is important. Cracked glass needs to be replaced. Dented stainless steel can be left alone and never fixed.
So TCO for armor glass roof will be higher.

We do not need a transparent roof on a work truck.

For sure non-armored glass roofs are slowing adoption of Tesla cars in police/fire dept & and other professions that involve antennas, radio transmitters or equipment installed on the roof or attached under the roof.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In fact most of us saw a demo where the glass cracked and the 3mm cold-rolled 30x type stainless steel did not even dent.

And yes the not cracking part is important. Cracked glass needs to be replaced. Dented stainless steel can be left alone and never fixed.
That's not in evidence. As I pointed out, when you do need to repair it, it may be more expensive to repair (or transfer more damage). The glass was replaced in less than an hour without major invasive tooling and that was a door, not the roof (which would be easier because no overlapping panels).

Also, you posted this already.

Again, that contradicts the addition of more and more glass to tractors and other cab-driven vehicles. Being able to see in all directions is a plus. As is being able to see your load.

For sure non-armored glass roofs are slowing adoption of Tesla cars in police/fire dept & and other professions
That may be true. But honestly, there's alot of laziness in the manufacturing of service vehicles and there's a reason why big manufacturers got out of the process. Too many specifications which are not set based upon first principles.

Getting new technology, even basic safety equipment and material upgrades, let alone better motors and cabins, is a serious pain. Fire trucks are only in the last couple years being ordered with heat-resistant paint!

-Crissa

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
This is such a long thread, not sure why I'm still following it. I guess I like the drama?

If you have a Twitter account, you can tweet Elon directly.

If you have an email account, you can email Elon directly.

If you have pen, paper, and a stamp, you can write a letter to Elon.

If you have a YouTube account, you can make a video for Elon to see. If you don't know how to do that, you can direct message the Tesla YouTube account with your concerns, and even message influencers asking them to put pressure on Elon regarding the idea (their voices are often heard).

If you're willing to spend hours fighting for steel roofs to random forum members on the internet, you have time to do all of the above. I love that you're willing to fight for your beliefs, but this is just the wrong place unfortunately.

Last thing: I think I've only heard it mentioned once briefly on this thread or not at all, but maybe the grass roof is required when manufacturing frame to work properly? Maybe adding in a steel roof simply is not possible with the way they're folding the body, and putting the glass roof on is truly the only option?

Either way, reach out to all the above sources and eventually you will be heard. Get others who want steel roofs to do the same to increase awareness. Best of luck my friend!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There was the point that you could do a drop-in replacement for the glass with a composite panel of stainless and insulation. It wouldn't be cheaper, but it wouldn't require re-working the frame to allow for a solid piece to be welded in there.

I also pointed out that a roof rack could do everything requested of the steel roof; take dings and rocks or mount radio equipment on.

The one thing that a steel roof can't be, which was requested is, cheaper. (And possibly not reinforced 3mm hardened steel. That may weigh more than the roof can accept in dynamic weight.)

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Last thing: I think I've only heard it mentioned once briefly on this thread or not at all, but maybe the grass roof is required when manufacturing frame to work properly?
Sweet! A green roof for a green vehicle!! I’ve seen buildings with grass roofs but it turns out that grass cars are more popular than I thought.

Tesla Cybertruck Metal roof rather than glass on the Cybertruck 0308AF4C-87E8-4286-9434-BC842B150DB5

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Sweet! A green roof for a green vehicle!! I’ve seen buildings with grass roofs but it turns out that grass cars are more popular than I thought.

0308AF4C-87E8-4286-9434-BC842B150DB5.jpeg
If I had one of those, the plate would have to say CHIAPET. And I could drive it around calling it my furbaby. And it would be my squishy. I love my squishy.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
If I had one of those, the plate would have to say CHIAPET. And I could drive it around calling it my furbaby. And it would be my squishy. I love my squishy.
I really have some questions with a grass car.
  • How do you get the mower to get all the sides without falling off?
  • How many cats have poo’d on the car?
  • Do you have to alternate parking directions so the whole vehicle gets somewhat equal sun?
  • How do you clear snow off?
  • How much of an effect does all that extra weight bring?
  • Do the aerodynamics get noticeably worse if you haven’t mowed in a while?
  • If there is a big storm, does the grass start to erode?
  • If you don’t mow for a while, can you still see well enough to drive?

ThomasG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Subaru Forester
Country flag
There are a number of police departments using glass roof model 3s. Before you give up on the idea I suggest you reach out to one or more of them to find out what they are doing and how.

The YouTube Channel NOW YOU KNOW featured one department on their show and the police spokesman discussed their use. Watch that episode, then contact that department with your concerns. They seemed to be eager to speak with other departments. I would also suggest contacting the YouTube channel directly with your question and they will probably be able to direct you to other departments that use a Tesla. They may even like your question enough to feature that has a show.
I already looked at a bunch of online photos of public safety Teslas and saw no glass roof models with antennas on the roof. In fact, didn't see any with obvious antennas, so they probably are from areas with adequate coverage. I did find this:

https://abcnews.go.com/us/tesla-police-vehicle-ran-power-car-chase-california/story?id=65878312

On the other hand, it would have been no headline if he ran out of gas in an ICE car. I once covered a pursuit where one of the cars did just that, but no problem when you have a Sugarland Express.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On the other hand, it would have been no headline if he ran out of gas in an ICE car. I once covered a pursuit where one of the cars did just that, but no problem when you have a Sugarland Express.
In the article it noted the chase was leaving its jurisdiction and the car had started the shift without being charged. If you start a shift without putting gas in the cruiser, this sorta thing happens.

-Crissa

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
In the article it noted the chase was leaving its jurisdiction and the car had started the shift without being charged. If you start a shift without putting gas in the cruiser, this sorta thing happens.

-Crissa
But there are plenty of gas stations, surely they would have caught up to the criminal if they spent only 3 minutes filling up! Right?? ? (Joking)

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Well find out in a month or so during the “refreshed” CT reveal.

The only change I would be excited to see is a folding bulkhead to the bed area that is also climate controlled. It would be awesome for camping and convenient for carrying long items.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I believe I have mostly posted info that has not been presented before.

Does having more facts & info cause a problem?

I already agreed that glass roof was pretty nice feature for cars.
I hope to have a Tesla car one day. I really want a Model X but I do not think that will ever happen.

Several Cybertrucks first and later if I am lucky a Model Y with glass roof.

I am involved in several businesses. Cybertrucks are the first EVs and main vehicles we will be using.

Yes, Elon & Tesla are very good but they are not perfect.
I think in future history books of years 2000-2030, Elon will be lauded just like Edison, N. Tesla, Howard Hughes were in 20th century. In the long run Elon might beat all of them.

I do not make up this info. I have spent 10s of hours researching this.
I have no direct contact with Tesla.

Getting info to others is all I can do.

Bent or creased 3mm cold-rolled 30x type stainless steel is not going to rust.

I have not seen any evidence that a thin armor glass (without cracking) can compete with 3mm cold-rolled 30x type stainless steel for impact resistance.

For sure non-armored glass roofs are slowing adoption of Tesla cars in police/fire dept & and other professions that involve antennas, radio transmitters or equipment installed on the roof or attached under the roof.
As I said before, it is my guess that monkeys will fly over the moon before you or anyone sees 3mm cold-rolled stainless on the roof of the Cybertruck. You can present this until the cows come home, and yes it is 'new' (so what, that doesn't make it a good 'new' idea) and that won't change anything. Your beef is with a higher authority. Send the idea to him and see what he says. I bet he thinks that the armor glass will be sufficient for contractors. Did you see the unveiling where they showed video of them throwing everything, including a kitchen sink, at the glass? If not, I think you owe it to yourself to go back and watch it. If you have, I wonder why you didn't believe it. But it doesn't matter because you are entitled to your view and I am entitled to now watch this thread anymore.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
As I said before, it is my guess that monkeys will fly over the moon before you or anyone sees 3mm cold-rolled stainless on the roof of the Cybertruck. You can present this until the cows come home, and yes it is 'new' (so what, that doesn't make it a good 'new' idea) and that won't change anything. Your beef is with a higher authority. Send the idea to him and see what he says. I bet he thinks that the armor glass will be sufficient for contractors. Did you see the unveiling where they showed video of them throwing everything, including a kitchen sink, at the glass? If not, I think you owe it to yourself to go back and watch it. If you have, I wonder why you didn't believe it. But it doesn't matter because you are entitled to your view and I am entitled to now watch this thread anymore.
How much metal is really required here? Why not just adhere a thin sheet of metal (like the thickness of aluminum foil) to the already existing glass?