First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
So just some comments on this video.

- First of all the requirement to get into the beta. This person is basically talking like he cheated to get in by saying "he drove like a grandma for 103 miles and then didn't drive for a week". So basically he cheated by driving extremely carefully for the required amount of miles...seems like that's how it's intended. They also pointed out that if a driver gets enough strikes, they are removed from the beta...so it seems like things are working as intended for people getting in and staying in or getting removed.

- The camera that monitors the driver to make sure they are paying attention. I just want to say that this is a new system that, just like FSD, will take years before becoming perfect and I respect that Tesla has made this system a little weak to a point that it misses drivers being unattentive instead of the opposite where it might have been too strong and disengaged FSD and given drivers strikes that could have gotten them removed from the program and ultimately hurt the beta program all together. People know the rules and if they end up breaking the rules, that's their fault, not Teslas fault because the car didn't stop them.

- The first pedestrian test in the video where they mentioned that they had the right of way and then complained because "she wasn't crossing, she was waiting to cross". She was taking baby steps towards crossing and was basically inches from the road. What she was doing was unsafely trying to time it so that she could step directly behind the Tesla as it passed which would have been extremely close and I would want my car to stop in that situation. What if it was a small child rather than a grown woman, would they want the car to cut it that close?

- "complex intersections" is exactly what they referred an 8 way intersection to as they complained they had to take over. I've driven in tons of big citys, small towns, and across a few continents, but I have yet to see an 8 way intersection, barely seen many 6 way intersections, 5 way intersections are rare, and they are complaining that a beta FSD system can't handle the 8 way intersection.

- Restarting the system and driving with the screen black. This is common with anything that has a screen, I could use my computer with the screen off too. Easy way around this for Tesla owners...just don't drive with the screen black seconds after you restart?

- Not knowing how to use a roundabout. It might not have gone around, but it did safely turn on to a street. Perfect? no. Fine for beta and still safe? absolutely.

- Driving in the snow when the road isn't fully plowed. Drivers using the beta where road conditions aren't ideal will obviously have to use more caution. Even normal people make a lot of mistakes and the majority of miles driven on FSD are going to be on clear roads or at least plowed roads which means it will take longer before Tesla has enough data in the future to perfectly handle these conditions and know where is the safest part of the road to drive on.

Big positive thing mentioned that they didn't focus much on was how well it worked in suburbs and how that a lot of problems in the past were taken care of. I'll agree that calling it FSD might not be the best when it's still far from being Level 5, but it's clear that Tesla's FSD system has come such a long way from when it was only able to do highways with basic automation. The fact that it can drive in the suburbs extremely well is amazing. I'd be happy if I could get in my car in the morning, switch on the FSD, and have it drive me most of the way to work with little intervention and then I take over for the more complicated parts. Tesla is even beyond that, so by the time I get my Cybertruck, I have extremely high expectations for what the FSD will be able to do.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I just went to watch this thing. This was news a week or so ago. I already tweeted to this guy that he crossed the line, and I think I mentioned something like that here on some thread. I'll mention it again. Being an FSD beta tester is: (a) a privilege, (b) assumes you know how to beta test <something>, and (c) assumes that you know the rules of this beta test. This guy violated (a) in complaining to the world, and inviting the media to play his game. He should never have treated FSD beta as anything but klugy software that he had an opportunity to help make better. He violated (b) when his results were shared with anyone but Tesla. They would know how to interpret the data. Media/Social Media surely do not. He violated (c) when he showed beyond speculation that he doesn't know how to use FSD. So he needs to be dropped from the program, censored as the idiot he is, and left to do the investment thing that he does and perhaps is better at than this. I had to say all of that in 144 characters on twitter but the gist of it was "you crossed the line".

The people that destroy superchargers, coal roll teslas, scratch or otherwise damage teslas, put out FUD crap on any media/social media, troll tesla forums, etc. should all be found and publicly humiliated (or stronger). We all believe in free speech but it has to be factual and not opinion or there have to be repercussions. Just my opinion of course.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I must sometimes be a 'personalist' but when I look at those guys in that video, I see 'sleazy', 'disingenuous', 'liar', and 'narcissist' written all over their faces. Like the kind people you want to keep your kids extremely far away from. They attempt to come across so 'self-important' but instead present themselves as arrogant. I don't think they realize how obviously people can read them instantly and see right through them.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
The stopping for pedestrians.... all but one was pedestrians in the crosswalk, even with a green light you are supposed to stop. Just because its tradition to not stop in Brooklyn doesn't mean the car should be programmed to not stop for them. They even used the fact that it was an option to roll a stop sign as a bad on Tesla, cant have it both ways.

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
Tesla's FSD is going to shine a bright light on social driving and traffic laws:

Everybody breaks the law, all the time. No one goes exactly the speed limit, and would be charged with "obstructing traffic" for driving below the limit. No one comes to a complete stop 100% of the time, nor uses their blinker without fail.

The laws are written for people, not robots. If the robot cars follow the letter of the law, they will drive like my grandmother. Human drivers will be outraged. A driver is responsible for "knowing the law" even when the street markings are faded, the traffic light is broken, and the signs are gone. What's a robot to do?

It's illegal to cross the double-yellow line, or drive on the shoulder. If someone is double-parked, you're supposed to wait, not go around. At best, this will induce violence in the drivers further back.

We either need to allow for some "fuzzyness" in traffic law, or accept that robots are going to drive like pedantic assholes. Maybe we need to have robotic cops, too.

Nd9GcSkFCNR5dMgCsqIAAwqngtnuyoOX_AZcWW0rA&usqp=CAU.jpg
I agree, it is going to be hard to act like a robot among so many humans. When autonomous driving is in every vehicle and the streets are maintained (read: kept clear of obstructions) the FSD will work flawlessly. When all vehicles and all municipalities are engaged with FSD, it will work and driving will be safer. It will likely take years; for older cars to be retired, cities to enforce 'clear' travel lanes, people to understand double parking shuts down the street, and idiots from attempting to do something with a robot it is not designed to do. Until then, FSD will work when it can, and learn where it can't.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
You have to laugh at the whole AVT consortium thing, how they are “concerned” about Tesla FSD. So a consortium of Tesla’s competitors are “concerned” about their FSD efforts… no shit… try terrified.

It’s so blatantly obvious, it’s right there in plain sight….

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I just went to watch this thing. This was news a week or so ago. I already tweeted to this guy that he crossed the line, and I think I mentioned something like that here on some thread. I'll mention it again. Being an FSD beta tester is: (a) a privilege, (b) assumes you know how to beta test <something>, and (c) assumes that you know the rules of this beta test. This guy violated (a) in complaining to the world, and inviting the media to play his game. He should never have treated FSD beta as anything but klugy software that he had an opportunity to help make better. He violated (b) when his results were shared with anyone but Tesla. They would know how to interpret the data. Media/Social Media surely do not. He violated (c) when he showed beyond speculation that he doesn't know how to use FSD. So he needs to be dropped from the program, censored as the idiot he is, and left to do the investment thing that he does and perhaps is better at than this. I had to say all of that in 144 characters on twitter but the gist of it was "you crossed the line".

The people that destroy superchargers, coal roll teslas, scratch or otherwise damage teslas, put out FUD crap on any media/social media, troll tesla forums, etc. should all be found and publicly humiliated (or stronger). We all believe in free speech but it has to be factual and not opinion or there have to be repercussions. Just my opinion of course.
Was thinking similar thoughts while watching. Basically he should not be a beta tester.

That sweater though… I mean what was he going for? Ugly sweater party reject? Even the ugly sweater people wouldn’t accept me so I’m going to chastise Tesla for not mowing down a bunch of pedestrians?

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Just my opinion, but I think that Tesla should update their terms for drivers clicking to accept responsibilities when using Autopilot or FSD Beta - to specify that whenever any driver is misusing Autopilot or FSD by attempting to cause a disengagement, doing stupid things like on this video such as holding and thumb operating the phone while driving, etc. - Tesla has the option to disable the Autopilot or FSD for some period or indefinitely for that abuser's account.

If it was my choice I would just disable all FSD in cars owned or rented by MSM operatives simply because today's MSM personnel are simply not objective or responsible with the stable emotional temperament to be trusted operating Autopilot or FSD - but that's 'just me'.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Autopilot already does navigation and lane change on highways with the FSD purchase.

Autosteer on city streets is what is being tested in FSD Beta.

That said, would you take a driver on a learner's permit through any of those intersections they showed? Of course not. The entire article is disingenuous.

-Crissa

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Is anyone here really surprised that MSM, who sells ad space to major auto, runs defense for them?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
That said, would you take a driver on a learner's permit through any of those intersections they showed? Of course not. The entire article is disingenuous.

-Crissa
Very good point. My 18-year-old son who just got his driver's license in November would not drive in a lot of those areas. For that matter, lots of adult drivers wouldn't drive in those areas.

IT'S BETA!!!
I actually find it hard to understand why people would pay $199 a month for FSD at this time. Free Autosteer would be just fine for me.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Is anyone here really surprised that MSM, who sells ad space to major auto, runs defense for them?
You guys have done a good job of debunking this hit piece but I'm surprised no one (including CNBC who featured this piece) disclosed the test driver has a HUGE conflict of interest:

Whole Mars Catalog on Twitter: "Hey @CNBC... any plans to disclose that the star of your FSD Beta smear piece is a major investor in LIDAR companies that will be run out of business as FSD Beta continues to prove their products are worthless? @elonmusk https://t.co/JKW8m8UEOu" / Twitter

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hey <a href="https://twitter.com/CNBC?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@CNBC</a>... any plans to disclose that the star of your FSD Beta smear piece is a major investor in LIDAR companies that will be run out of business as FSD Beta continues to prove their products are worthless? <a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@elonmusk</a> <a href="https://t.co/JKW8m8UEOu">pic.twitter.com/JKW8m8UEOu</a></p>&mdash; Whole Mars Catalog (@WholeMarsBlog) <a href="">February 16, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sorry for messing that up, I don't "do" Twitter!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I actually find it hard to understand why people would pay $199 a month for FSD at this time. Free Autosteer would be just fine for me.
Well, that $199 comes with lane change and navigate on Autopilot so... If you're doing a long road-trip, it can help check your corners for you.

-Crissa

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Whenever there are hit pieces with FUD, or misinformation out such as this, I just go ahead and buy as many more shares of TSLA that I can afford - exactly what the media and legacy auto want me not to do, I do it. So they're having an effect all right ...
Sponsored