Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Now you’re dreaming…

30 yrs. into Future for wireless energy sans grid, sans infrastructure and sans economy of scale, Starlink is not beaming fusion energy to ground yet.

Venezuela and Iran fossil fuel costs are corner cases in isolation.

You are correct to assume fossil fuels will power under developed countries until costs flip in favor of EV transportation
I like dreaming of a "wireless" future. It is powered wirelessly, not by starlink fusion, but rather solar fusion by radiation from the sun. :)

The primary reasons that solar powered devices are cumbersome in their use are:
1. the sun only shines during the day when it's light out
2. that weather affects how much power can be used at that particular time.
3. that peak power needs can't always be met without installing excessive solar that in turn reduces affordability

Essentially if it's not day time and there isn't good weather (or your at a high latitude) you're stuffed if you rely on solar. To overcome that you need storage, so that your time of charge (daytime with good weather) can be different to your time of discharge and use (night time and cloud cover).

Now not all storage has to be in bulk, or attached to a house or car, or electrical network for that matter. A lot of tech can actually work from modern batteries directly if done right. So batteries for devices that need power most of the time. Notebooks without batteries are just plain desktop computers, mobile phones without batteries household cable phones, EV's without batteries are electric trains or trolley buses etc. In fact typically the closer we can install energy storage to the site of demand the better it's portability and accessibility for use by a consumer. Portable power is possible and a worthwhile endeavor as it adds convenience and efficiency.

My previous post on developing nations and battery storage was meant to clearly demonstrate that not all electrical demand is the same, and because the needs in developing nations are different, we shouldn't force them to use fossil, or outdated grid network technology to empower their lives and add a little bit of an improvement in standard of living, by giving them a cost effective and functional solar flashlight and mobile charging source.
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Yeah, apparently they didn't even need to revolt when he left for heart surgery. But hindsight is 20-20.

-Crissa
His son is a quite intelligent and capable fellow. The dad sold out to stay in power ( Mosaddeq fiasco and a bunch of other things), I believe his son would run a different show if he had the chance. Without the revolution things would be very different today.

roadrunner32

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model Y 2021
Occupation
retired electrical engineer
Country flag
Hey everyone,

I've probably read this article a zillion times: Cybertruck MPGe

I'm struggling however to fully understand MPGe. I currently drive a Prius and a Nissan Titan. The cybertruck will replace both. With all the math I'm doing, I'm struggling to see how I'll be saving money. If I go at face value, I will be gaining 20 MPGe over my Prius, which averages 50mpg and according to the Reddit article which states the CT Dual motor will get 69/70 mpge.

Sooooo....

My Prius has 160,000 miles and averages 50 MPG. That means over the course of the vehicle I've used 3,200 gallons of gas and if I average gas at $2.50 I would have spend $8,000 in gas.

The Cybertruck will get 70 MPGe. If I assume that I drive 160,000 miles on the CT and I use the 33.7 KW / gallon that means that I would have used 539,200 KWH of energy. at 13 cents per kwh, I would have spent $14,019.20 in energy cost.

That can't be right. Any help would be appreciated.
To determine the comparison between the Prius and cyber truck, I think you need to know miles per kWh for the CT and forget about the 33.7. I use the advertised figure of 27 kwhr/100 miles for my model Y LR. I also use the size of the 75KWH battery and assume it will complete 300 miles. I then compare MPG of various comparable cars to the Model Y. Now...... what I'm really looking for is how to reply to the nay sayers that say "Well the electric car uses just as much or more cause it takes fuel coal and natural gas to generate the electricity." Early on, it was stated by Tesla that it uses 1/3 of the energy than does the gasoline car. But how does one prove that by calculations?

roadrunner32

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model Y 2021
Occupation
retired electrical engineer
Country flag
To determine the comparison between the Prius and cyber truck, I think you need to know miles per kWh for the CT and forget about the 33.7. I use the advertised figure of 27 kwhr/100 miles for my model Y LR. I also use the size of the 75KWH battery and assume it will complete 300 miles. I then compare MPG of various comparable cars to the Model Y. Now...... what I'm really looking for is how to reply to the nay sayers that say "Well the electric car uses just as much or more cause it takes fuel coal and natural gas to generate the electricity." Early on, it was stated by Tesla that it uses 1/3 of the energy than does the gasoline car. But how does one prove that by calculations?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
To compare energy, you need the 33.7kWh per gallon figure. This will vary based upon the cars compared, but you can use your mpg vs mpg-e to do that. The Cybertruck will be somewhere near 75mpg-e or so.

To compare price, you need the price point of your gas or electricity. These will vary alot! Right now, some people are paying $6 a gallon and 50¢ a kilowatt hour. During the first pandemic peak, some were paying $1.79 and 3¢ so... (and there are ways to charge for free or for ridiculous amounts).

-Crissa
Sponsored