Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag

Some good technical highlights pointed out by @Dazureus (in his post below in this thread):
1. Ring configuration that uses Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) to create deterministic signals and avoid collisions or packet dropping. The Automotive Ethernet papers I've read talked about internal best master time algorithms to determine a dynamic Grand Master time clock for signal synchronization, but it looks like Tesla might be using a more static time division signal mapping. From what I understand, each sender is assigned a time slot in a frame to transmit their data, so it creates a system wide synchronous transfer. Both methods allow audio signals to be transported around the network without having synchronization issues between speakers that are geographically distant from each other.​
2. Switches are connected to the gigabit ring and connect to CAN for local devices. It's a hybrid zonal architecture in that the switches are controlling local devices, regardless of functionality, but they're also translating to CAN protocol within the zonal areas. So they can use legacy devices instead of having to convert everything to smart acuators.​
3. Not everything is on 48V, but they looked at the most power hungry devices and worked with suppliers to convert them to 48V. That jives with what I'm hearing about in the company that I work for.​
4. Side stepped information on how the extender connects to the PCS. Almost got that info, but steered away a little.​
5. SbW front uses 2 powerpacks that power 50% of the load rather than 1 powered and 1 redundant. It also sounded like they distributed sensors between the two rather than having redundant on each. I'm interested in learning more about that. I would have expected redundant sensors on each power pack, then having communications between the two for final value confirmation.​
Sponsored

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Wow, tons of info.

They also talk about BAW's distant cousin, Tesla's official? material "HFS" ("hard friken stainless").

Front mega casting is done using same type machine used for Tesla Model Y, Idra 6000 (NOT Idra 9000). So Cybertruck needs one Idra 6000 and one Idra 9000 and Tesla might already have mega casting capacity for 350K/year Cybertrucks.

Last edited:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
The ford sponsorship is a smart move by ford lol

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Wonder if Munro & Assoc / Munro Live had to get Tesla's permission to allow Ford to sponsor an in depth interview of Tesla ??!!
I doubt it. But I bet they aren't happy

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Model X, '21 Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag
Yeah, this is the information we need to nerd out on. Great information on the new bus architecture. Here's what I gathered:

1. Ring configuration that uses Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) to create deterministic signals and avoid collisions or packet dropping. The Automotive Ethernet papers I've read talked about internal best master time algorithms to determine a dynamic Grand Master time clock for signal synchronization, but it looks like Tesla might be using a more static time division signal mapping. From what I understand, each sender is assigned a time slot in a frame to transmit their data, so it creates a system wide synchronous transfer. Both methods allow audio signals to be transported around the network without having synchronization issues between speakers that are geographically distant from each other.

2. Switches are connected to the gigabit ring and connect to CAN for local devices. It's a hybrid zonal architecture in that the switches are controlling local devices, regardless of functionality, but they're also translating to CAN protocol within the zonal areas. So they can use legacy devices instead of having to convert everything to smart acuators.

3. Not everything is on 48V, but they looked at the most power hungry devices and worked with suppliers to convert them to 48V. That jives with what I'm hearing about in the company that I work for.

4. Side stepped information on how the extender connects to the PCS. Almost got that info, but steered away a little.

5. SbW front uses 2 powerpacks that power 50% of the load rather than 1 powered and 1 redundant. It also sounded like they distributed sensors between the two rather than having redundant on each. I'm interested in learning more about that. I would have expected redundant sensors on each power pack, then having communications between the two for final value confirmation.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
@34:40
Platform scalability between single, dual, and Tri motor is interesting.
1 PM rotor stator
1 IM rotor stator
1 inverter
1 gear set

3 powertrains

Very cool 😎

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
7500 lbs towing on rwd

Model Y performance motors (basically) are used

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Regen scales up as more mass is detected. (Towing)

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
This is a great video for those of you who were wondering why the truck is so expensive. Lots of custom parts inorder for them to make the best truck possible. Also tells me that Elon being the sales person he is, definitely under priced the truck in 2019 to create buzz. If you can afford the new pricing I think it will be well worth it. I've driven plenty of F150's...and non drives like a Tesla...if they could get the Cybertruck to drive like a regular Tesla model Y or S...people are gonna love it.

dodgy-truck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X
Country flag
I run 48v DC at my house. All fans and lights are 48v powered. For the longest time I was searching for a 48v to USB 3.1 convertor I could wire to replace plugs. For the most part laptops/phones and a lot of accessories are using USB for power. There is 48v Power Over Ethernet - but USB seemed to make more sense.

Wonder if the Cybertruck USB ports are fed 48v volts directly - maybe they will support the latest 240W charging options USB standard supports?

Hoping to see more accessories support 48v out of the box :) - now that Tesla started the first 48v domino....

I venture to suggest that USB ports are more useful inside of the truck - trying to think when would a 120v AC plug come in handy?

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
@34:40
Platform scalability between single, dual, and Tri motor is interesting.
1 PM rotor stator
1 IM rotor stator
1 inverter
1 gear set

3 powertrains

Very cool 😎
I wonder if they played with the idea when Elon said they will have a quad motor. Basically would the dual rear motor could also bolt to the front motor mounts giving a quad motor setup. If I was Elon I would have 1 custom Cybertruck with a quad motor setup because I can lol 😎

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I wonder if they played with the idea when Elon said they will have a quad motor. Basically would the dual rear motor could also bolt to the front motor mounts giving a quad motor setup. If I was Elon I would have 1 custom Cybertruck with a quad motor setup because I can lol 😎
Lol I'm sure someone will try to custom it. Only big issue is the tightness of software <-> hardware interfacing. But it sounds like swapping from dual <-> Tri is fairly simple. Single motor is a touch more difficult since it'll be missing IM rotor stator and accompanying parts.
Sponsored