Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Update June 25, 2020

Elon once again teases that the Cybertruck will be able to float.

Original post April 20, 2020

Per Elon Musk tonight, the Cybertruck will be able to wade and even "float for a while."

Sponsored

Last edited:

Deleted member 3316

Iā€™ve been pondering the possibilities of an inflatable mod to attach to the undercarriage. With the air suspension pulling the tyres all the way up it could act like a barge. A jet motor powered via a PTO could be installed in the under bed storage with the outlet just below the tailgate. It could be a great swamp boat or used for river crossings in the right circumstances.

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
As someone who has lived in flash flood territory, the possibility of it floating seems like a bad idea? When Iā€™m driving through moderately deep water Iā€™d like to keep moving forwards, not downstream!

Last edited:

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
How much does the CT will weigh????

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
Wow, It weighs less than the Rivian R1T= 5886 lbs. and Rivian claims that the truck can wade up to 1 m of water and would float on deeper waters.

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Not sure why Tesla and Rivian seek to make buoyant trucks. Itā€™s generally a bad thing to start floating when youā€™re trying to cross a river, just look at any video of a Jeep going deep into the water and making it out the other side.

How much does the CT will weigh????
Tesla has basically admitted in government registration docs that all versions of the truck will be 5000+ lbs.

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
They were saying that you can cross a body of water as deep as 1 meter and no damage to your batteries or motors because it is enclosed tightly I guess (water proof). They are not asking us to go out there and try to float.

Deleted member 3316

Not sure why Tesla and Rivian seek to make buoyant trucks. Itā€™s generally a bad thing to start floating when youā€™re trying to cross a river, just look at any video of a Jeep going deep into the water and making it out the other side.

Tesla has basically admitted in government registration docs that all versions of the truck will be 5000+ lbs.
I quite sure that they arenā€™t trying to make them more buoyant. Those jeeps fill with water, which most people find undesirable. Most 4x4 wagons are watertight and would also float at around 1200mm. The thing is in ICE vehicles the air intake would be underwater killing the engine. Those vehicles with snorkels have less to be concerned about but an electric vehicle would have zero to worry about.
(provided the electrics are IP5X) just open the door fill the car and it will still drive and stick to the bottom (Breathing might be an issue though).

In flood waters Iā€™d still rather have the ability to ferry the vehicle as it provides more options.

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
Thanks ***** for explaining it better. I find that wading across a small body of water very useful for me residing in the West. I go off road to find good spots to fish and to get to creeks especially in the Spring is hard. I am hoping that CT engines are water tight.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Having been caught in a vehicle during a flash flood that floated for a bit, this allowed me to get out of the car... the seals around the doors finally gave in, and water started rushing in. By then I had the windows rolled down and was able to climb out on the roof.
The car did not float until the water was over the headlights, so do not think that it will float until it is significantly deep water.
And I do assume that the HVAC and/or door seals is where the water will eventually find its way into the cabin.

As for using the Cybertruck as a boat... It would be possible to weld the doors closed and climb through the windows... and use the 220 outlet on the back to drive an electric outboard or jetdrive to move around in the water... just not sure if the wheels will pull up enough to be out of the water...

Reactions: Geo

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
I am glad that you (idjessee) were able to climb out.
Sponsored